Continuous airy hiss on headphones

Could that be the issue? I’ve set up my patches with input and output 2 connected, so I can run my Moog through it. Didn’t have it connected yet though.

YES!!! You got it! That's what I was talking about. If you have input 2 on but nothing connected, you'll get a loud hiss. It was discussed a few days ago; has something to do with the type of connector, the resistance, yadda yadda yaddd - all over my head.

Either turn it off or plug something in to defeat the noise and your problem will go away.

You're welcome ;)

Did you turn it off or remove it entirely? I'm not sure if just turning it off will suffice (it should, but I can' confirm at the moment). Are you able to show us a picture of your signal chain? Are you using Axe Edit III?

Sorry you're having this problem. I'm sure it's something simple that's being overlooked and you'll be super happy once we all figure out what the problem is.

I have nothing connected on input 2
I'll see if I can find the thread but this might be your problem. With input 2 on but nothing connected to it, there will be extra noise just because of the way the circuit is designed. I'll poke around a bit and see if I can't quote you something good.

Found it:

We wanted Input 2 to be able to support both line level sources and instruments. A guitar needs a very high impedance input impedance (1 Mohm). Line level sources typically see input impedances around 10K but work just fine at higher impedances.

The self-noise of a resistor is proportional to the resistance. Therefore a 1M resistor will have 100 times the noise power (20 dB!). However the input resistance is shunted by the source resistance so it effectively doesn't contribute to the noise figure.

A combi-jack does not have a shorting contact on the 1/4" tip contact like a regular 1/4" jack. The whole reason a regular 1/4" jack has a shorting contact is to short the input to ground when nothing is plugged in. This shorts the noise of the input resistance to ground. Without that shorting contact and nothing plugged in you get the noise of that input resistance and since it's 1M it's significant. Plug something in and the noise will go away. Or simply don't use Input 2 with nothing plugged in.

How do I completely disable input 2?
Just switch it to a shunt using the value knob in the layout grid. There might even an option to just delete (check the soft knob/button options while the Input 2 block is highlighted. Good luck. We'll get this sorted for you :)

Look forward to hearing what is determined to be the issue. It might just help one of us out in the future.

I found I am having this same issue today. I am plugged into an audio interface. When the audio interface is turned off I get the hiss. As soon as I turn the interface on it goes away. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom