Stupid FC-6/FC-12 question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
USB transmits midi. Whether it will on the FC-12 or not, that is the question. It does have a midi port.

No,it doesn't (applies to both your 1st and last sentences).

The FC has a USB port. Midi doesn't just magically transcend the port, there has to be code and processing power to run midi (or any other protocol) over USB.

I have worked hard to develop a reflex which pairs well with my sizable ignorance. It reminds me that in the absence of a comprehensible explanation, more information is required before I can jump to a conclusion.
It’s a shame there isn’t lots more of this sprinkled on the world these days. Well said, Matt

i think a lot of people like comfort in seeing a button for every block in their preset. it's understandable, especially coming from real pedals where every pedal is in front of you. they're already giving up the ease of adjusting each pedal in front of them (while gaining much more), so it may be comforting to at least see the options they designed in the preset.
I’m one of those who loves independent block control within a preset or scene. Some blocks I only use on a whim, and it’s nice to have the real estate to accommodate that. I also love the challenge of finding ways to make that happen by thoughtfully and creatively using the capabilities of the hardware/software. I see both sides, and I know you do too. I just go back to the @Admin M@ post above and say “can’t wait to see what the FC is capable of doing!” But I can wait to form my option of it. I think that’s the message you and others are trying to convey. Totally in agreement.

I think that is a bit of an assumption. I've seen very few people on this forum ever talk about needing to independently control external devices via the MFC or FCs. I would bet the vast majority have no need.

I'm not discounting that it is a useful ability and there are definitely some that need it... But not "most"...

The majority of users that do use it for controlling external devices want the ability for that controlling to be done on scene or preset changes (based on my experiences here) and the FC + midi block does exactly that.

I agree with you most users do not use independent control, however, i'm one of the few. It is very gluttonous and unnecessary, but, I feel it helps me with the creative process. Not so much with gigging, as the presets and scenes help control the performance and are typically laid out in advance.

However when writing, especially with a group, I like being able to add sonic variance on the fly in order to not miss out or disrupt the 'flow'. If we are writing a song, and I think "this will sound good with this pedal added" or "this needs some delay", it's very convienent to add on the fly. With the current MFC setup, I can add as well as save the preset dynamically to the MFC. Add in some expression pedals controlling parameters on the AXE and it's a fun time.

Again, over the top extravagance, but, I like the setup.

And who, with an Axe FX III, can possibly plea anything but "guilty as charged."

The AXE III was fully justified since my band got signed and we've got a $10m contract with riders, and have 100 shows setup for next year.

Oh wait, that must have been some parallel universe dream. You're right, guilty as charged.

I mean another thing
If I want to go out with a Kemper, it's impossibile to control it by a FC6/12.
No way to do it.
Before, with MFC it was possibile, so with ONLY one Fractal controller it was possible to do other things.

Now, for me and for other customers like me, it is necessary to have two controller, one for the Kemper and a second one for the Axe III, or, buy a midi generic midi controller for both.
Thinking about the price of Kpa remote + FC12 it is possible to buy top level products, like a Mastermind, which is the best on the market.

if the FC12 had the midi module, I would have bought it definitely (because it is more convenient to be able to program it from AxeIII Edit), and used as the only pedal board for both my systems.
It's a step back, in my opinion since the MFC (dated product) already had this plus.

And, please, stop with the answers "the MFC is still on the market, then buy that", because it does not naturally control Ax III, which was the real goal:

check AxeIII natively and midi any other device!

my 2 cents

You can't have it all different ways. I also see no problem with having multiple controllers, you should have a controller for each rig you have. If it doesn't work for you, which you don't know as yet, don't buy it.

You can't have it all different ways. I also see no problem with having multiple controllers, you should have a controller for each rig you have. If it doesn't work for you, which you don't know as yet, don't buy it.

Multiple control is not a problem for definition, I talk about the limits of them, especially the kemper remote.
And infact I bought a Mastermind. but it could be a FC12 if had the midi.
So I just want to say that is a decision that “cut out” some customers.

Multiple control is not a problem for definition, I talk about the limits of them, especially the kemper remote.
And infact I bought a Mastermind. but it could be a FC12 if had the midi.
So I just want to say that is a decision that “cut out” some customers.
What would you like to control on yor kemper? The fc6/12 will be able to send midi messages sith the axe midi block, when you change scenes or presets.

What would you like to control on yor kemper? The fc6/12 will be able to send midi messages sith the axe midi block, when you change scenes or presets.

So you mean that when I'll go out with kpa I will have to take also Axe III, just to use it as midi interface? No thanks
On Kemper i have to control everything, banks (performance), preset, stomps, tuner, tap tempo

The product hasn't been released yet. You don't know what it will or will not have. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I Know,but pictures were released, and there isn't midi.

So you mean that when I'll go out with kpa I will have to take also Axe III, just to use it as midi interface? No thanks
On Kemper i have to control everything, banks (performance), preset, stomps, tuner, tap tempo
Sounds like a third party controller is right for you. Or an MFC. Seems weird to expect Fractal or Kemper to build a product for use with their direct competitor.

I find myself now wondering if you’re having a similar, parallel conversation on the Kemper forum about their remote...

Sounds like a third party controller is right for you. Or an MFC. Seems weird to expect Fractal or Kemper to build a product for use with their direct competitor.

I find myself now wondering if you’re having a similar, parallel conversation on the Kemper forum about their remote...

It's not weird, it's a commercial opportunity that can bring sales and infact Fractal until yesterdays produced a midi controller (Mfc) that could be used on kemper and other machines, so there's nothing strange about waiting for the new FC to do at least the same things as the old one. It is not so.

it's a lost opportunity, from my point of view
On Kemper forum I don't have a similar conversation, because their Remote has NEVER had the midi, as instead the fractal products had.
So before MFC was useful with Axes and other products, today the FC12 is perfectly useless without AxeIII (and probably will cost more), from my point of view is a clear step back in terms of versatility.

And it is no coincidence that many customers, enthusiastic about the Axe III have bought it (like me), but will not buy the FC, for the limits I have exposed or for the desire to have a layout hw (not sw) with a greater number of switches.

Do not flatter me and avoid taking any cue as a negative criticism, I would have been happy to buy a FC12 if it allowed me to do what the old MFC already did, adding the plus of the new (LCD screen, different layouts for presets etc. ).

Infact, I'm waiting in the list at the time, but although the official specs have not been published, the hardware photos are clear.

:)

Maybe it’s not meant to be used with anything other than the AxeFx III. A product doesn’t have to work with other products in order for its price to be justified. The MMGT already exists - why would Fractal just create another version?

As the Axe3 isn’t an Axe2, the FC is not an upgraded MFC.

Edit- let me clarify. I meant specifically that the FC was probably designed to interface directly with the Axe3 only. From there, MIDI can be used from the Axe3 to control other devices.

This isn’t unique as there are other brand controllers that only work with that brand’s gear. Cliff himself mentioned that it’s possible to control other things through the Axe and MIDI.

Last edited:
Maybe it’s not meant to be used with anything other than the AxeFx III. A product doesn’t have to work with other products in order for its price to be justified. The MMGT already exists - why would Fractal just create another version?

As the Axe3 isn’t an Axe2, the FC is not an upgraded MFC.

Of course, now it is clear that the Fractal intention was this just described very well by you, and that mine (or ours) were instead expectations.

It's not weird, it's a commercial opportunity that can bring sales
Not all opportunities are equal. In fact, given what Fractal has done, I think you can confidently conclude building on the MFC platform was financially unviable for the company. Competing with RJM and FAMC for a fraction of an exceptionally small market at a considerably high cost isn't a business Fractal thinks worth pursuing, it would seem.

Not all opportunities are equal. In fact, given what Fractal has done, I think you can confidently conclude building on the MFC platform was financially unviable for the company. Competing with RJM and FAMC for a fraction of an exceptionally small market at a considerably high cost isn't a business Fractal thinks worth pursuing, it would seem.

Now, after discussing these points, I can understand that it was a conscious choice

No,it doesn't (applies to both your 1st and last sentences).

The FC has a USB port. Midi doesn't just magically transcend the port, there has to be code and processing power to run midi (or any other protocol) over USB.

USB can transmit midi if Fractal wants to support it. How do you think Axe edit communicates with the Axe, midi down a USB line. I don't believe it will be supported. It appears that the controller will only work on an Axe 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom