Presenting... The Axe-Fx III

Found a pic. of what appears to be an early prototype!

tumblr_ngy1bsF9JQ1sxyxtao1_500.jpg
you nailed it......only the colour............:D

@FractalAudio Cliff, does this mean the firmware updates for Axe FX II and Ax8 has stopped coming permanently? Effective immediately?

This is my biggest question right now too. Granted, I'm happier than hell with the sound and features of my ax8 right now, but of course it's always awesome getting more updates. I'm especially curious if the existing units will handle this new version of Amp modelling.

But if I’m understanding right, there should be aspects to the firmware on the III that are not available to those of us still on earlier hardware, and likely room for even more ways to widen that delta.

yeah i was just speculating while updating the new III he found something he could implement on the II.

Question for anybody in the know on the new III
Will the firmware updates change your existing presets - Like it does currently with the existing/current models?
This is my biggest issue with the AXE FX2. The hundreds of hours fine tuning the finest detail to get the tone exactly where I want it.. Only for a new firmware to take away all my precious hours of perfecting...

On the wait list! I am super excited about the 3.

Questions,
Does the new pitch block accommodate drop tuning?
Will there be any organizational tools (naming of scenes and channels). It seems this will be even more important with so much power.

I foresee the mother of all kitchen sink presets in my near future.

Can anyone confirm - no block-level backwards compatibility with the II, AX8 or FX8?

I'm guessing not, but it would be really cool if you could use a III to build and export AX8 compatible presets. That would help justify a purchase for guys like me who need only simple presets live and prefer a floorboard machine. If not, I might have to wait for a new TI based floorboard unit.

From what I could gather the only reason updates stopped for the Standard and Ultra was that there was no more room for new firmware. Not because those platforms were actually abandoned.

I had an AX8 and still have an XL but I use my Ultra live because there are sounds on it that I have yet to be able to match with the newer units. One of the biggest 'blessings' was when the Ultra firmware updates stopped and the unit stabilized. One of the biggest letdowns was when the editor updates stopped. Operating systems rolled on but the editor did not. I had to keep a mini computer loaded with XP and use a specific interface to keep my banks and presets updated via editor.

The people that just got XL+'s got a super deal and with the resale value it is unlikely they would lose much if they wanted to upgrade. I think the XL series has a ton of life left BUT I hope they keep updating the editor. Long after the firmware updates stop. These units have a long 2nd, 3rd, 4th life, due to affordability, that brings in new potential customers for the new showcase products.

Well to @FractalAudio and the team, My sincerest Congratulations to you for all the hard work; the specs of the capabilities of this thing look ridiculous
This is unquestionably a Concord moment, when a huge technological leap took place that left everyone else behind

I'm wondering if all the home improvements I promised the OH I'd get this year, (new kitchen, boiler, bathroom) can be quietly ignored whilst I get one of these beasts!

I can see there's a few openly wondering if the days of firmware updates are over.
Well if they are, then ending with 9.04 is just fine for me as I love it.
But, I really can't see a company that supports it's users like Fractal does just suddenly dumping one of it's long term core policies of keeping all their products regularly updated
Even if the 3 runs on something totally different there's a lot of Fractals around the world and I'm sure there will be more stuff for them in the pipeline

But what I am wondering is - and I appreciate you guys have just unveiled your newest flagship but as an AX8 user I can't help but wonder - what's next in the skunkworks?
Any plans for a newer turbo charged floor unit?

Eitherway, I hope the 3 is as big of a success as the 2

I feel bad for all those people who posted on the board who kept asking 'I have cash, but should I hold out for a III?'. And we all told them 'no, there's nothing new on the horizon, the XL+ will see you through for many years'. The latter is still true but boy were we wrong about the former. And I reckon those who took the plunge and got an XL+ on our advice might now feel pis sed. I know I would.
This is why I don't base decisions off of anyone's advice or comments other than the manufacturer. So much disinformation given as fact when the actual truth is no one knows anything.

I had an AX8 and still have an XL but I use my Ultra live because there are sounds on it that I have yet to be able to match with the newer units. One of the biggest 'blessings' was when the Ultra firmware updates stopped and the unit stabilized. One of the biggest letdowns was when the editor updates stopped. Operating systems rolled on but the editor did not. I had to keep a mini computer loaded with XP and use a specific interface to keep my banks and presets updated via editor.

The people that just got XL+'s got a super deal and with the resale value it is unlikely they would lose much if they wanted to upgrade. I think the XL series has a ton of life left BUT I hope they keep updating the editor. Long after the firmware updates stop. These units have a long 2nd, 3rd, 4th life, due to affordability, that brings in new potential customers for the new showcase products.

Maybe we're blessed in that regard that Microsoft has said that Windows 10 is the final version? Then again, just look at how Fractal sneaked by the III without us knowing.

This is why I don't base decisions off of anyone's advice or comments other than the manufacturer. So much disinformation given as fact when the actual truth is no one knows anything.

I can't say I blame you.

Reactions: MSS
Back
Top Bottom