GK MB500 (not fusion) as power amp?

406Ryan

Hey guys- long time stalker, finally pulled the trigger and got my AX8 yesterday!

I know a lot of people are huge on Matrix, Crown, Crest, ext as power amps, but I may be able to get a sweet deal on a MB500.
Has anyone had any experience using just the FX return as a power amp on these. I know it can be done, but my concern is if it adds any color, or if it's just straight/clean power?

Thanks everyone for your help!

It's pretty flat power (ICEPower modules IIRC) - the preamp is where all the GK Voodoo lies in the MB range. I've used small bass amps (MB Fusion, Mesa D-800+) through their returns with awesome results.

It's pretty flat power (ICEPower modules IIRC) - the preamp is where all the GK Voodoo lies in the MB range. I've used small bass amps (MB Fusion, Mesa D-800+) through their returns with awesome results.

Yep- you're right- they do use ICEPower. I'm absolutely not familiar with that company at all (or any power amp company for that matter) but it looks like that's what they use.

Yep- you're right- they do use ICEPower. I'm absolutely not familiar with that company at all (or any power amp company for that matter) but it looks like that's what they use.
Same things Mesa uses in their D-800s, and several others - including the Kemper Powered Head.
I had a conversation with Randall Smith (Mesa) and he spoke very highly of the ICEpower modules and how transparent they are, yet extremely high quality and reliable.

Back
Top Bottom