Anybody own two...

cyberk9

Inspired
anybody own two ax8's ........thinking of a second....for a backup...if my main dude would somehow go down ....life would suck at gigs......thoughts?

I own two, for that exact reason. I had one die on me and I had a couple of dates to cover. I had a Helix as a backup, but it wasn't cutting it, plus having to learn and maintain two separate products didn't make sense based on my busy scheduled. Sold the Helix and bought a second AX8. It will also be nice to be able to "demo" new firmware before committing. I also plan to mount one on a flatboard with an Eventide H9 if I get the itch. The other unit will be standalone. I can choose which one I need for a particular play date.

FWIW, I have a small, battery-powered backup pedalboard based around a Tech 21 RK5 that is my current backup solution. Not as good a tone as the AX8 tone, and a very limited tonal palette, but it is small, easy to carry and connect in a hurry, and works well enough with FOH, FRFR speakers, and guitar amps to get me through a gig, so I'm covered. I already have an Amplifire, but have had some issues with it and for that reason prefer not to use it as a backup. Matter of fact, the RK5 board saved my bacon when the Amplifire board went down at a gig. But I'm toying with the idea of a spare AX8, maybe when I get the bread together for it and I'm not gassing for something else. Going to play the AX8 I currently own for a while first and see what, if any, issues crop up before I decide.

I have 2..... Im VERY tone depended and can get raddled very easy so i have comfort in knowing i have an exact back up if needed!

Last edited:
I haven't ever had a problem with my AxeFX, Not a single issue of any kind, and that's including a lot of touring and recording. I have been carrying my Line6 M9 in a briefcase as my "just in case" rig, but I've never needed it.

I would guess it comes down to the nature of the gig....

Sold out 5,000 person venue vs paid wedding band, vs coffee shop open mic gig for no money

There are instances where the show must go on, and ones where maybe I'd say sorry I can't go on and the act before or after me can each get an extra 20 minutes

$1400 backup can be priceless or darn pricey

I have a Boss GP10 which I use when alternate tuning is required or when I need a different guitar model. Been a long time Roland-Boss owner and know how to use them very well. Besides, the GP10 also has a standard 1/4" guitar input and can be used as a regular amp modeler and multi-effects. So if the AX8 happens to die, I can use my non-GK equipped guitars as well.

Not as rich sounding as the AX8 but there are very good models which I have tweaked to my tastes. Also, the V-Guitar user forum is top notch for support and suggestions. I first learned of the AX8 through the V-Guitar forum.
For now, the GP10 is a great and very portable pedal. With the AX8 built like a tank, I don't see a need for a second AX8 unit anytime soon. Perhaps if I was a touring musician which I am not. At least with the GP10, I know how to get good tones and have the added benefit of the synth unit and guitar modeling.

That being said, I have used the GP10 last for a gig on July 1st.

Back
Top Bottom