Need more threads on getting great tones for clean/breakup /bluesy tones

jolee1

There seems to be a definite slant on the forum towards hi gain territory with AF2 users.

it would be great to see u guys pipe up with ideas for great cleans, edge of breakup and blues tones from low and medium gain amps - maybe sharing your experiences for blues/soul/funk/country etc tones or presets or IR choices

Hi there
I'm playing lead guitar in a Dire Straits Jam band, and for my clean sound I use the Vibrolux amp, with a vibrolux 1x12 IR. It sounds a little dark/dull at low volumes but fantastic at gig level (which the preset is adjusted for) For the more modern DS sound, I use Soldano SLO on clean with a 4x12" Marshall cab with EV12L a,d another preset with Mashall 4x12 V30 IR.

My Edge of break up is the Comet 60 Amp + V30 as above.
Effects are a studio compressor, and a drive for really light punch (microboost is a good choice for that) both before the amp. Then after the amp I have a delay (ducking is on) and then the IR and finally two separated medium room reverbs one for each output (due to quick stage and or PA adjustment.

For the country'ish sounds I use slap back echo, that's the shit :)

Hey you just started one so I'll share my thoughts.

For clean and edge of breakup I've been digging the suhr badger 30 watt. MV around 6-7 and input drive at 3 while using single coils i get some gorgeous tone. When i pick lightly it's clean as can be and if i dig in it gets a slight bit of hair and grit that i love. I've never played a real Suhr Badger but i really dig this model.

I use those settings to get pretty damn close to eric johnsons tone in his song east wes.

it would be great to see u guys pipe up with ideas for great cleans, edge of breakup and blues tones from low and medium gain amps

For Father's Day this year our church played Simple Man for the intro song. I whipped up a quick preset for a Lynyrd Skynyrd tone on the AX8, here was the result:

Most of my presets are what you are asking for and are attainable. Is there a specific band/tone/sound you are going for?

thats great

what amp/cab/settings do you use for teh L-S tones ? im looking for LS, rory gallagher,modern country /brad paisely/ on teh edge chicgo blues a l a ronnie earl ( ie clean but a little bit of hair on the edge) = that sort of thing

will try the suhr as well

I think a lot of amp models can get there. I'm presently enjoying Brit800. Can get a nice stinging cut-through-the-mix sound and can dial it back with lower treble settings, and guitar volume knob.

I love the Tweed Deluxe, Tremolux, Wrecker, Carr Roamer and on and on. There are so many amps that will give you different flavors of clean into mid gain. Don't be afraid to dial the input trim and/or input gain down to get them clean enough to start. The amps respond great to the drive pedal models to gain them up when needed.

If they'd played LS in church when I was growing up, I might still go to church. People used to have to go to bars to hear sounds like this, a fact apparently not lost on modern churches.

In no particular order, (and aside from the already mentioned) here are some that stand out to me that are killer for guitar volume controlled & pickup controlled levels of everything from clean to edge of breakup to great lead distortion tones. They're all very responsive.

Bludo Ojai
Fuchs (Fox)
Two Rock (Two Stone)
Swart Atomic Space Tone (Nuclear Tone)
Komet 60 (Comet 60)
Wrecker Express

-Mixing a combo of any two of these in a two amp setup can also yield fantastic results. One little trick with a lot of these amps is to raise the CF Comp up to around 70-75%

There's also some great edge of breakup with some amps that'd be typically used for higher gain stuff. Dizzy V4 Blue 3, Friedman Small Box, Herbie CH2, CA OD2.

There's really a ton of awesomeness in a lot of the amps for this type of tone.

Whatever amp you use, I would suggest sticking a Treble Boost [Drive block] in front of the amp, preferably a cleanish Fender model.
Try using a single coil on the guitar as well, if you can.
I tend to like position 4 on my Jem, if not playing with a Tele.
You may like it, you may not, but for me, the Treble Boost can help cut through the mix and definitely gives a smoky, bluesy flavour.

I love the Tweed Deluxe, Tremolux, Wrecker, Carr Roamer and on and on. There are so many amps that will give you different flavors of clean into mid gain. Don't be afraid to dial the input trim and/or input gain down to get them clean enough to start. The amps respond great to the drive pedal models to gain them up when needed.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

I use the Shiver clean or USA clean with the 808 mod drive block in front (with the drive set to 0 on the 808.
Also the tape drive block (with the drive at 50%) sounds great.
For solo I use the AC drive block.

I use the Super set really clean for Lenny type stuff.... for raunchier, i use the Ojai with just a touch of dirt.... its really pick sensitive so you can dig harder for the dirt. Also, it really nails that piano-like WOMP on the low E, like in Pride and Joy

Ive also set up a super nice People Get Ready chorusy 80s clean using one of the Mesa amps ( cant recall which, but not one notable for great cleans). I was proud that i nailed it, worked a long time on that patch

I have to say that Cliff has done one hell of a job with touch sensitivity on the unit. And another one hell of a job within some of the "deeper" settings on being able to dial in or out more or less touch sensitivity. The unit really gives all the tools necessary to be able to control in great detail the feel and amount of drive. Incredible.

The AC20 is really good... Also try Buttery, Nuclear Tone, Ruby Rocket, Roamer, DC30, many others.

Some you will want to set Input Drive fairly low.

whatever amp you'd normally use for those tones, use it...it's easy.

i played almost entire 4 hour cover gigs in Nashville using only the DC30 and drives. those tones are stupid easy to obtain. pick an amp and ir, set your gain and levels and eq to test...if you have to at all. I can't remember the last time I even touched BMT....IR's are my eq.

whatever amp you'd normally use for those tones, use it...it's easy.

i played almost entire 4 hour cover gigs in Nashville using only the DC30 and drives. those tones are stupid easy to obtain. pick an amp and ir, set your gain and levels and eq to test...if you have to at all. I can't remember the last time I even touched BMT....IR's are my eq.

Yeah, IR's can get ya 90% there right off the bat. After minimal BMT tweaking, if any tweaking at all is necessary, it's just a matter of setting up the level of gain ya want & then fine tuning the feel and response of the amp is all ya need to do.

Back
Top Bottom