I did a cover of Metallica's blackened!

LucasLeCompte

Experienced
It is just one guitar track and one take straight through. This song was a learning experience for me because it showed me that my picking hand was rather weak. Also showed me that metallica needs to write some more cool stuff like this! I used my Mark IV patch with ML sound Lab's Cab pack 13 SM57-MD421 ace alloy #2.

Ah classic 'tallica. Makes my picking arm sore just listening to it. James loves his fast palm mutes. This one and Battery always give me fits.

Killer Song! Though (in my opinion) Puppets is the best Metallica album ever, and possibly best Metal album of all time, this song just slays. I'll never forget being 14 and cranking it in my house for the first time and my Mother hearing the lyric "See your mother, put to death, see your mother die".. man parents just don't understand.

Justice had such potential as an album but to me what holds it back, aside from the horrendous mix (second only to St. Anger) was that it always felt like James had it in his mind he had something to prove. Not just the loss of Cliff but also trying to prove that Heavy Metal could be as intelligent and sophisticated as Bach, Mozart or Beethoven. He did prove the later but at the cost of songs that (to me) drone on and on, some of those songs have parts that are almost painful to listen to because of their repetition, however one thing he did awesomely on that album was variations on a theme, kind of twisting the same melody or even riff into something just different enough. But, if I am being honest I have no room to talk, I've never written anything close to as great as the songs Justice, Blackened, One or To Live Is To Die, nor will I probably ever....

I feel like the production value of AJFA is actually pretty good. Unfortunately the whole bury the bass guitar mix thing was a bit of a drag. If you've never listened to some of the unofficial remixes like "And Justice for Jason" where the bass is mixed back in at normal levels, you should check it out. Newsted had some pretty great bass work on that album that was pretty much inaudible in the released versions, especially on One. The bass lines really fill out that song a lot.

Last edited:
I feel like the production value of AJFA is actually pretty good. Unfortunately the whole bury the bass guitar mix thing was a bit of a drag. If you've never listened to some of the unofficial remixes like "And Justice for Jason" where the bass is mixed back in at normal levels, you should check it out. Newsted had some pretty great bass work on that album that was pretty much inaudible in the released versions, especially on One. The bass lines really fill out that song a lot.

I'm excited about checking that out! Thank you for the suggestion. Looks like I'm going to be indebted to you between a possible new love for AJFA and pointing me in the right direction for my reamping woes.

Back
Top Bottom