Anyone use their AX8 through a power amp/guitar speakers, or guitar amp fx return?

Ericbr1

Inspired
IF so, have any of you tried it with the POWER AMP Simulation ON vs OFF. . It's very cool on some of the amps and on some I prefer it on . ON some I prefer it off, and on some I can't make up my mind.. . . So far anyway.. It was the same on my original Axe-Fx Std and I remember telling Fractal that many years ago :) Just wondering if anyone has real-life experience with that. . p.s. I know the majority of you probably have FRFR speakers,etc but this question is for those of u using the situation mentioned. Have a great day ,Eric

I tried my AX8 in the FX return of my Carvin V3M (EL84 tubes), in the FX return of my Quilter Mini Head 101 (solid state) and my Mustang III (modeler solid state).

On all cases I thought that turning off power amp simulation in the AX8 sounded really harsh (don't know why).

On the Mustang, turning off cab sim was better (less bass and muddy) but in the Quilter it wasn't. In the Carvin, cab sim on/off was "different" but not better or worse.

But, when I got a Alto TS212 and I also tested the AX8 in my studio monitors, with cab sim on and power amp sim on, it just sounds FAR better.

I tried my AX8 in the FX return of my Carvin V3M (EL84 tubes), in the FX return of my Quilter Mini Head 101 (solid state) and my Mustang III (modeler solid state).

On all cases I thought that turning off power amp simulation in the AX8 sounded really harsh (don't know why).

On the Mustang, turning off cab sim was better (less bass and muddy) but in the Quilter it wasn't. In the Carvin, cab sim on/off was "different" but not better or worse.

But, when I got a Alto TS212 and I also tested the AX8 in my studio monitors, with cab sim on and power amp sim on, it just sounds FAR better.

Hey thanks for the reply and real-life experience. I find that we need to try all this stuff for ourselves to see what works for us as the manual pretty much says don't use the cab-sims when using a guitar power amp/speaker combination, but nah, there's definitely options :) Eric

I use my AX8 into the FX Return of a Mesa Boogie Mark III Green Stripe with a Recto 2x12 close back cabinet w/ V30s. The Boogie has headroom for days, so I just bypass the cab block and leave the power amp sim intact. I also use 2 Humbuster cables (one for left, one for right outputs) into a Y adapter to connect the AX8 to the Boogie. That makes a huge difference! Before I was using the Left out into the amp, it sounded OK but allowing the stereo effects to operate in stereo added a ton of dimension, to my ears anyway.

I prefer this hybrid setup over playing through studio monitors. It just feels right, if that makes sense?

I use my AX8 into the FX Return of a Mesa Boogie Mark III Green Stripe with a Recto 2x12 close back cabinet w/ V30s. The Boogie has headroom for days, so I just bypass the cab block and leave the power amp sim intact. I also use 2 Humbuster cables (one for left, one for right outputs) into a Y adapter to connect the AX8 to the Boogie. That makes a huge difference! Before I was using the Left out into the amp, it sounded OK but allowing the stereo effects to operate in stereo added a ton of dimension, to my ears anyway.

I prefer this hybrid setup over playing through studio monitors. It just feels right, if that makes sense?

Isn't easier to just configure the Global IO for left to be "Sum L+R" instead of using the adapter?

I've been running mine through the FX return of a Boogie MK V 25 w/ a Boogie 2X12 verticle rec cab (V30's), and I LOVE it. Amp sim on and I've tried the cab sim on and off....Either way still seems to sound well. In fact, on a few settings with cab sim on, the difference between what my amp was giving me and FOH was so minimal that no f***s were givin!

Glad to hear from others using theirs through amps instead of this FRFR stuff. I tried mine briefly through my band's monitors (We use QSC K10's) and I totally prefer it through a real guitar power amp and guitar cabs. .I know I'm not the 'norm' but I agree with the 'feels right' comment above! Eric

I'm using my AX8 through a Laney VC 30 amp and it sounds pretty damn good. I disable the cabinets and even with amp sims enabled I can get some very good tone. Thinking of an FRFR, but most of my playing will probably be direct to FOH with in ear monitors. But for smaller gigs the Laney seems to be great.

i run mine from the fx send (cab block bypassed) to a matrix power amp and marshall 1960tv 4x12 (Greenback), with the option of simultaneously running a second signal from main out with cab sim on to fron stage monitor and/or FOH (using separate left and right main outs with mono effects and copy L>R turned on).

for a massive sound at your next rehearsal room, try plugging in all three at once...it is EPIC!!

in all instances I leave power amp sim turned on which to me sounds much fuller and chunkier going into the real power amp and cab.

I usually setup AX8 power amp sim on and cab sim off with my 44 magnum power amp and a cabinet put in the rehearsal studio or venue where our band plays.
Though I have iSP Stealth Pro and VHT cabinet at home, 44 is smaller and almost same sound as iSP but little bit more treble.
In the other day, I tested Mashall JCM2000 FX with AX8 and felt not so bad.
I felt 44 magnum is definitely better and I like I can get always same tone with them.
Because I bring only my guitar and some other stuff to the rehearsal studio or venue with me and have to use the amp or speakers put in there.
Those sometimes give me different tone or bad sound.
It's not easy to bring your own amp or something if you live in Tokyo and have gigs at small venue.

I usually setup AX8 power amp sim on and cab sim off with my 44 magnum power amp and a cabinet put in the rehearsal studio or venue where our band plays.
Though I have iSP Stealth Pro and VHT cabinet at home, 44 is smaller and almost same sound as iSP but little bit more treble.
In the other day, I tested Mashall JCM2000 FX with AX8 and felt not so bad.
I felt 44 magnum is definitely better and I like I can get always same tone with them.
Because I bring only my guitar and some other stuff to the rehearsal studio or venue with me and have to use the amp or speakers put in there.
Those sometimes give me different tone or bad sound.
It's not easy to bring your own amp or something if you live in Tokyo and have gigs at small venue.

Loved the idea of using the 44 magnum! Just bought one to test it out :)

Do you leave it with the bright switch on or off?

Hi Guys,
I have aquestion about using the AX8 straight into a recto cab without any kind of power amp between the ax8 and the cab. Has anyone tried this? If so what is the best setting for this kind of set up?
I apologize if this has been covered before in another post I'm new to this forum

Thank you

Hi Guys,
I have aquestion about using the AX8 straight into a recto cab without any kind of power amp between the ax8 and the cab. Has anyone tried this? If so what is the best setting for this kind of set up?
I apologize if this has been covered before in another post I'm new to this forum

Thank you

That will not work. The signal that comes out from the AX8 (line level) is just too weak to drive a cabinet. You need a power amp of some kind.

You can try, nothing will break, but you will notice that the sound will be almost inaudible :D

That will not work. The signal that comes out from the AX8 (line level) is just too weak to drive a cabinet. You need a power amp of some kind.

You can try, nothing will break, but you will notice that the sound will be almost inaudible :D
Ok that makes sense. Thanks for the quick response.

Loved the idea of using the 44 magnum! Just bought one to test it out :)

Do you leave it with the bright switch on or off?

I use it with the bright switch off because I want to use all same presets with 44 and iSP.
The bright switch makes those tone much brighter.
However, if I use a guitar having less treble I might try it at the rehearsal instead of global EQ change.

Regarding Marshall FX return with AX8, it's getting more gain than I expected or the tone I usually get from 44 and iSP.
I don't know why.
I didn't try to decrease the gain using global amp gain but I should.
I will try it next time.

I use it with the bright switch off because I want to use all same presets with 44 and iSP.
The bright switch makes those tone much brighter.
However, if I use a guitar having less treble I might try it at the rehearsal instead of global EQ change.

Regarding Marshall FX return with AX8, it's getting more gain than I expected or the tone I usually get from 44 and iSP.
I don't know why.
I didn't try to decrease the gain using global amp gain but I should.
I will try it next time.

What's the volume of the 44 like compared to the ISP?

I have the ISP but it's such a beefy shape I'm struggling to fit in on my board.

If the 44 can hold it's own then I'm tempted by it.

I prefer it on all the time. I use a solid state power amp generally.

If I'm running through the loop of an amp I just turn power amp modeling off l

I also bought stealth ISP can you give me any advice or opinion on the best configuration and setting the AX8? I use it with two 1x12 cab in stereo configuration.

I've been running mine through the FX return of a Boogie MK V 25 w/ a Boogie 2X12 verticle rec cab (V30's), and I LOVE it. Amp sim on and I've tried the cab sim on and off....Either way still seems to sound well. In fact, on a few settings with cab sim on, the difference between what my amp was giving me and FOH was so minimal that no f***s were givin!

I was using it with a Mesa 20/20 into a Marshall 1936. I have two identical cabs and have one at one bands permanent rehearsal room and the other I take too and from a rehearsal studio for the other band. In the first instance, I have had Amp Sims *and* Cab Sims turned on to get a reasonable sound. At the seconds place - with the other cab the sound was just boomy and I had to disable the Cab Sims and tweak everything. I've used both speakers with my Mesa RA-100 before and to me ear they sound identical. I guess the difference was the room that they were in ?? That being said, it would be a pain to have to remember to turns different sims off / on depending on the environment.

I recently purchased Friedman ASM-12 and as soon as I plugged it in the feeling was like I had just got a new piece of gear - all over again. Much more value from the technology IMHO. Different strokes for different folks and $$ come into play too for peeps no doubt. If you have the cash, I'd recommend trying some FRFR options. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom