Removing Top End Fizz

Ytolyccuz

Inspired
Hi Guys,

I'm a new Axe Fx 2 user. Is there a general set of knobs that best mitigate that undesirable top end fizz when I make a chord on the high e and b strings. I tried taming down the treble, and increasing the high cut (negative feedback = 0).

I am using a ruby rocket brt amp. Sounds good through my mesa boogie mark v:25 power amp. I'm using another ruby rocket brt amp with higher gain settings this time with a cabinet G12H basketweave (I Think) but I can't remove the top end fizz...

In general, I can hear this high end fizz on most presets.

I'm using a pair of cheapo Samson Monitors.

Looking forward to your advice.

Lower the 'High Cut' parameter in the Cab block to taste.

You're probably comparing the 'Amp/Cab in the room' sound that you are used to hearing to the 'Mic'd' cab sound that the Axe-Fx puts out? IMHO you'll need some of that 'Top End Fuzz' to cut through in a mix.

Last edited:
Lower the 'High Cut' parameter in the Cab block to taste.

You're probably comparing the 'Amp/Cab in the room' sound that you are used to hearing to the 'Mic'd' cab sound that the Axe-Fx puts out? IMHO you'll need some of that 'Top End Fuzz' to cut through in a mix.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the quick response. It does make sense that I'm probably used to hearing the amp in the room sound. I'll check it out how it sits in the mix. I tried using my sennheiser HD700 headphones but the highs were quite harsh. Will try it again in a mix.

Thanks again!

if you have power amp modeling on try dropping the high freq curve some, but if youre using cheapo monitors theres a good chance theyre the weak links in the chain. does music being played through them sound fizzy too?

Try it at rehearsal and you will probably have the best cut through the mix, incredible, inspirational guitar tone you have ever had in your life.

If you look at the signal under a spectrum analyzer, you'll notice a spike somewhere in the 5.5k - 6.5k range. Carefully targeting / cutting that spike can eliminate the high-end fizz.

Depends on your definition of "high end fizz". Some people mention this and mean 10kHz+, others mean 2-7kHz. I usually just throw on a PEQ block or Filter block with a LPF at around 12kHz and sweep around. Sometimes that's enough, other times I go as low as 8kHz. If that doesn't do it, you may be talking about that 2-7kHz range. When recording high gain tones I find there's ALWAYS high end resonances that can be sucked out to add clarity without reducing the ability of the guitars to cut through the mix. Pull up a PEQ block, use a very narrow Q and boost it a ton, then sweep it around to find the offending frequency and reduce the db until it no longer bothers you.

Unless you've got Axl Rose on vocals, I can't see the high end of a guitar really competing for space in the mix.
Yes, they do compete for the same space.

I'm thinking Lion was being facetious and meant nothing negative.
I was being serious, but not trying to come off as a hard ass.

Depends on your definition of "high end fizz". Some people mention this and mean 10kHz+, others mean 2-7kHz.
This is the answer to what I posted about competing with the vocals.

The 2kHz to 4kHz range is where the vocals live and, unfortunately, also where the clarity of your guitars lay. It's a bitch to balance the two, so that both are heard equally and not pissing on each other. However, vocals are usually the centerpiece of a song, so you want them to poke out a little more than the guitars in this frequency range. It takes a trained ear and years of experience to get it perfect within a mix.

This is the answer to what I posted about competing with the vocals.

The 2kHz to 4kHz range is where the vocals live and, unfortunately, also where the clarity of your guitars lay. It's a bitch to balance the two, so that both are heard equally and not pissing on each other. However, vocals are usually the centerpiece of a song, so you want them to poke out a little more than the guitars in this frequency range. It takes a trained ear and years of experience to get it perfect within a mix.

You're right about the range, but not about the solution. Cutting everything above 2kHz is going to give you a pretty awful sounding tone. If anything you'll want to either do a shallow, wide dip in that area, or take out a couple tight resonances in that range.

Back
Top Bottom