US first time - tips?

Roadrunner

Power User
Hey US guys.

So, after so many years and so many traveling NOT to the US It finally does happen and I will be visiting a short one for the first time.
Basically I'm landing in NY and will be staying there for 3 days, than flying to New Orleans for some business + 2 free days and then by car to Florida, Miami etc. for total of 5 days (minus 2 days driving) so it will leave me 3 free days.
As it's my first visit and I'm so short with time, I'll be happy to hear from you guys tips for the places mentioned.

Thanks.

Some ideas for New Orleans..

Eat:
Central Grocery
Acme Oyster
Cafe Du Monde
Mandina's Restaurant
Clover Grill (breakfast)
Camillia Grill (take trolly- great breakfast)
Galatoire's (Nice night out in the Quarter, or for lunch- Great classic food and atmosphere - and the locals usually outnumber the tourists)
Beach Corner Bar (burgers)
Coop's (my favorite spot)
Cochon (http://www.cochonrestaurant.com/html/menu.html)- another favorite

Guitars:
International Vintage Guitars (I rarely check out music shops in NOLA)

Music:
Les Bon Temps Roule
Circle Bar
d.b.a.
Tipitina's
Maple Leaf
If you're staying in the French Qtr, go hit Frenchman Street...

Other:
D-Day/WWII Museum
Louisiana Music Factory
Cabildo
St. Louis Cathedral

Check out offbeat magazine on-line - it will tell you about music show schedules.

Thanks a lot, this will keep me busy over New Orleans for sure.

I will be happy to hear more from you guys, also regarding Florida, Miami etc…

Thanks guys.

Come-on guys, that's all? :(

BTW, beside all the major attractions in NY, any recommends for a nice live rock / blues / fusion pub?
Guitar / music shops which are a must?
On top, accommodation in NY, something reasonable not too fancy, B&B type?

What about Miami and around?
Thanks.

You are really only limited on what you WANT to see. Especially in NYC since people living there for 30 years haven't seen everything.

Any of the tourist attractions are a 'yeah, I did it' such as the Empire State Bldg, Statue of Liberty, etc. Head down to Broadway to see the awful spectacle of it. (And you can throw a penny in that area and get great food...best after the shows get out and you see the beautiful people have a nosh after the stage.) Times Square for one of those ridiculous wax museums. Katz's Deli is an institution and get a Pastrami sammitch bigger than your head. Rockefeller Center is fun. Walk the Brooklyn Bridge. Because I'm essentially a child, I had to go into FAO Schwarz and the toy stories of doom.

Otherwise, it's YOUR bucket list here. Too much to see in a few days, but pick your fights.

Miami, I have no idea...outside of South Beach; it's much more interesting after 11 PM.

Come-on guys, that's all? :(

BTW, beside all the major attractions in NY, any recommends for a nice live rock / blues / fusion pub?
Guitar / music shops which are a must?
On top, accommodation in NY, something reasonable not too fancy, B&B type?

What about Miami and around?
Thanks.

In Miami, keep those windows rolled up
You are really only limited on what you WANT to see. Especially in NYC since people living there for 30 years haven't seen everything.

Any of the tourist attractions are a 'yeah, I did it' such as the Empire State Bldg, Statue of Liberty, etc. Head down to Broadway to see the awful spectacle of it. (And you can throw a penny in that area and get great food...best after the shows get out and you see the beautiful people have a nosh after the stage.) Times Square for one of those ridiculous wax museums. Katz's Deli is an institution and get a Pastrami sammitch bigger than your head. Rockefeller Center is fun. Walk the Brooklyn Bridge. Because I'm essentially a child, I had to go into FAO Schwarz and the toy stories of doom.

Otherwise, it's YOUR bucket list here. Too much to see in a few days, but pick your fights.

Miami, I have no idea...outside of South Beach; it's much more interesting after 11 PM.

^^^ that's an understatement !
South Beach should be a definite visit - and even Miami beach is worth a visit too. I have only been there twice - it was probably 12 years ago or so. I do remember, if going North of 27, keep those windows rolled up...

Miami is only nice on the island! inland is a tough place. central Florida has all the tourist places, From Tampa to Orlando there are theme park and museum's galore. I like lowery park Zoo and the marine aquarium in Tampa, Clearwater marine aquarium is were that Dolphin tail movie was filmed. I am not a fan of the tourist traps. I live in the sticks north of Tampa, we like to drink beer and tease alligators. If you want to drink a beer and have a home cooked meal in central Fl on your way threw let me know. consider your self invited! there are a few really nice guitar stores in Tampa area, Sam ash has the coolest store I have ever seen in Clearwater! Orlando has some to but not like Tampa area, IMHO!

Miami is a little ruff when you get away from the beach no doubt! scary after dark! If you want a beer and or a home cooked meal in the sticks on your way to Miami, consider your self invited. I am just a little south of Wildwood were the Fl turnpike begins. I my self would spend time in central Fl if you wish to see sights and such. Tampa and Orlando both have several large music stores. Clearwater has the coolest Sam ash that I have seen. Lots of Zoo, Marine type stuff in the Tampa area that is cool to see. I live here though so I really don't pay that type of stuff to much attention. Central Fl is the theme park capital, you can spend tons of money having a good time at these places.

Since the joke wasn't well understood, here's solid advice: While in Miami, don't go to Mangos. Tourist trap.

Thanks guys, very helpful tips and thank you paranoid for the invitation, appreciate it.
I was'nt aware of Miami being a rough place, I have only 3 days in Florida, might re-plan the whole thing over there.

Last edited:
Well I'm in NY right now and by the end of my trip I have been 3 months in the USA. Times Square is very touristy but I still think that it's something you should see just so when they blow it up in every movie you can say "I've been there". Central Park and the place John Lennon was shot is also on Manhattan. Really nice pizza! I like NYC and the vibe of it since it's one of the rare cities in the USA that has that certain history to it. In Florida I would say go see the alligators in the Everglades with one of those airboats. Key West is one of the coolest places to see in the whole USA so if you have a car go check it out. Miami is a party place it would've been my scene 10 years ago but now I just thought it was too loud. I loved the Cuban culture in Miami though. The food was really good. Disneyworld is in Orlando of you're into that.

You're not spending a whole lot of time here so I wouldn't recommend going to guitar stores etc. since you have those at home also. And right now the dollar is so strong that it's cheaper to buy gear from back home. If you want to shop for cheap then go to one of those outlet shopping centers. Ross Dress For Less, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Century 21.. those are the places where you can get expensive clothing for like 25% the price they are back in Europe. If that's something you're interested in.

Definitely go to the Dakota hotel and check out Strawberry Fields in Central Park.

I need to back to the city. My wife and I would love to visit Key West.

Well I'm in NY right now and by the end of my trip I have been 3 months in the USA. Times Square is very touristy but I still think that it's something you should see just so when they blow it up in every movie you can say "I've been there". Central Park and the place John Lennon was shot is also on Manhattan. Really nice pizza! I like NYC and the vibe of it since it's one of the rare cities in the USA that has that certain history to it. In Florida I would say go see the alligators in the Everglades with one of those airboats. Key West is one of the coolest places to see in the whole USA so if you have a car go check it out. Miami is a party place it would've been my scene 10 years ago but now I just thought it was too loud. I loved the Cuban culture in Miami though. The food was really good. Disneyworld is in Orlando of you're into that.

You're not spending a whole lot of time here so I wouldn't recommend going to guitar stores etc. since you have those at home also. And right now the dollar is so strong that it's cheaper to buy gear from back home. If you want to shop for cheap then go to one of those outlet shopping centers. Ross Dress For Less, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Century 21.. those are the places where you can get expensive clothing for like 25% the price they are back in Europe. If that's something you're interested in.

Do the Yankee stadium tour and walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. If you like museums we've got lots of those. If your here on a Wednesday you can get 1/2 price tickets to a Broadway show. The guitar stores suck other than Rudy's.

Thanks Luke.

Ammm, any ideas regarding accommodation in New Orleans?
I'm scheduled for 5 days over there which 3 are already booked and fixed (business meetings) but I need another place for the rest 2 nights, any recommends?

Thanks.

I have never stayed in the big easy, but there are some nice hotels in Sliddel which is to the east just over the river. I am sure there are many fine places in New Orleans, but also some real dumps.
When are you making this trip?

Thanks mate.

I'm scheduled to next month, got 2 weeks to cover NYC, New Orleans and FL / Miami.

Short time and a lot of mileage, which most of it will be by flights.

Back
Top Bottom