Ultimate Axe setup

Ok just pulled the trigger on AX, MFC and fas link adapter lol.

Now do I go with Atomic CLR or Matrix 100 with NL212? Will the matrix power amp provide bettewr power than the atomics is the question?

Ok just pulled the trigger on AX, MFC and fas link adapter lol.

Now do I go with Atomic CLR or Matrix 100 with NL212? Will the matrix power amp provide bettewr power than the atomics is the question?

If you need more power than the CLRs have you will go deaf soon so it won't matter!!! Lol
I would go with the CLRs because that will be a simpler setup. Less stuff to go wrong!!!

Yianni, the Matrix package you mentioned is a 1x12.

There is a package that has a GT1000FX and a pair of 1x12s for $1409.

Another package has a GT1600FX and a NL212 for $1699.

If they had a GT1000FX + NL212 for under $1200, I might grab that myself. The CLRs are 1x12. Plenty loud I'm sure though.

Just wanted to say thanks for all who responded.

Just this am I sold my FX8 and pulled the trigger on a ln XL+, MFC and a atomic neo clr.

Cant wait!!

Ok thanks for everyone replies. Couple questions and point. So I've done some research and it seems pretty unanimous the Atomic CLRs are great. So I'm going to go with the neo version on this.

In regards to the axe-fx should I go with the XL+ or go,with some of the leftover chassis and save $200?

since I'm going to buy the atomic CLRs I won't need the power amp BUT if do decide to get one is the Matrix gt1000 the one to get? Or should I bump up to the 1600?

Lastly, I hear the MFC is the way to go, my only issue with it is it is a bit of a big foot print and I don't need all that switching power. What else is a bit smaller, just as powerful and can get the job done. I looked at the behringer but I'm just not feeling it.

Do I need a power conditioner for home practice? Thanks
You could look at the Liquid foot, midi controllers, and choose a smaller footprint version. Since it sounds like you don't need as money buttons, This will still give you a good option of a large number of volume pedals. Its also a nice option for programming. The downside is they are just about as expensive as the mfc 101, depending on the options you want.

Also, I have a 2x12 cab. I'm not gigging at the moment so should I stick with a cab or go with FRFR speakers?

Thanks

I have no opinion as to whether or not you should go with cab or FR/FR speakers but if you DO stick with standard cabs...I use a Matrix power amp and pair of Mesa Lonestar 2x12's and I just dropped an Eminence Tonker in each of the cabs paired with the stock Celestion C-90 and it sounds mindblowingly great.

I currently use my Axe in the 4cm with my blackstar series 1 and a 4x12. Even the Axe amp patches sound killer. I have used many different setups ie: FRFR, amp and different cabs. They all sound killer. I might get a matrix 1000 and go back to my 2 legacy 2x12s wit WGS speakers. It really did sound great with the amp i used. A Carvin HD1500.

I use Axefx2 Out 2>Matrix Gt1000 into marshall 4x12 greenbacks, Axefx2 Out 1>FOH,stage Monitors
Small gigs it's just the matrix,full pa I'm surrounded with killer tone.
I use the gator studio bag it's 2 space w/ slot on top for my laptop
Then I have a 6 space rack w/ power con,g90 wireless,gt1000
I found that keeping the Axe separate I can take it home or to practice, I'm in 2 bands so I keep cabs,power amps and just transport the axe,laptop

Ok thanks for everyone replies. Couple questions and point. So I've done some research and it seems pretty unanimous the Atomic CLRs are great. So I'm going to go with the neo version on this.

In regards to the axe-fx should I go with the XL+ or go,with some of the leftover chassis and save $200?

since I'm going to buy the atomic CLRs I won't need the power amp BUT if do decide to get one is the Matrix gt1000 the one to get? Or should I bump up to the 1600?

Lastly, I hear the MFC is the way to go, my only issue with it is it is a bit of a big foot print and I don't need all that switching power. What else is a bit smaller, just as powerful and can get the job done. I looked at the behringer but I'm just not feeling it.

Never had to have my gt1000 turned all the way up half way most of the time and I play with a full band and a loud drummer

Yianni, just wondering how the new rig sounds.

Well everyday gets a little better. I can't say in the week I've owned it that I've dialed in my main tones (rhythm, lead, cleans). So far it's been more tweaking than playing. There is a lot to this Ax Fx and it's going to take me some time to really understand how to dial stuff in.

So far I've been dealing with preset levels and volume levels in general. It's like do I adjust the amp or do I use the output volume? So Far I have found a few presets that are awesome. Right now I'm trying to find a really authentic sounding clean.

One thing I don't like is the global gate it always sounds crackly and like it's trying to choke the signal. I also don't understand why I go to a clean preset and I can hear amp noise. That should be crystal clear quiet with the gain down. Anyway lot more learning needs to be done. I did sign purchase the CC instructional so we'll see. Thanks

the matrix GT1000Fx goes very well with the axe fx 2. It is very versatile.and has tons of power. You surly will not need more power than the GT1000, unless you want to replace the whole FOH :). I use the FCB1010...for the money , a no brainer. The board can handle all the things I want to do.

I was going to go that route but instead went with the Atomic Clr.. I will say it's been hard getting a good authentic cab sound from the. CLR. I am. So used to playing through a Mesa 2x12 that it's been. Hard getting along. With the CLR. I'm going to give it a fair chance though.

So far I've been dealing with preset levels and volume levels in general. It's like do I adjust the amp or do I use the output volume?
I use the Amp block output level to balance overall preset level - it does not alter the input and master vol settings of the amp which are part of the 'tone' you want from the modelled amp.
One thing I don't like is the global gate it always sounds crackly and like it's trying to choke the signal. I also don't understand why I go to a clean preset and I can hear amp noise. That should be crystal clear quiet with the gain down. Anyway lot more learning needs to be done. I did sign purchase the CC instructional so we'll see. Thanks
If you are using Output 1 from the AxeFX to the CLR you can use headphones (with CLR off) to listen and see if the same noise is present in them - if the noise is still there then it's something needing tweaked on the AxeFX side - if the noise is not there then it's perhaps more something on the CLR side of things.

Higher (past 12 oclock) front Output knob settings on the AxeFX throw out a very hot line level signal to the next device which could help generate noise. The general advice is to keep the relevant AxeFX output knob between 9 and 12 oclock and use the power amp in your monitor to control the overall speaker volume. I know the CLR has some routine for gain staging the input sensitivity - but you can still experiment.

The clean amp model you use is relevant too - some are designed to be 'non master volume' which means you should leave the MV parameter at 100 and tweak your Input Gain parameter to get the output tube saturation you want - so if you've got a high Input Gain set and MV at 100 you can expect some noise just like the real thing - putting a Gate block after the amp block can help in those cases (that means you can maybe turn off the Input Gate for that preset too or at least lower it's threshold)

Try using the VU page in the AxeFX Utility front button menu to roughly gauge the Output levels of your presets. I use it so my general rhythm level presets hit the 'line' and lead presets/scenes hit about +4 to +6. The 'line' is not true 0db on the AxeFX outputs it is just a safe guide mark to use when balancing levels and is actually well below the actual clipping point in the AxeFX - you should have about 10 db above it to play with before actual clipping.

Some clean presets might need to above or below the 'line' depending on how dynamic they are

The VU page has a quick shortcut to alter the Amp level parameter which is handy too. The best practise is to fine tune output volumes in a loud band rehearsal scenario if you're a gigging muso - you can use that Utility/VU page and the Quick Control A knob to alter the amp block level or go straight into the amp block and alter it there using the normal Edit method - and then save the preset.

If you can wait Matrix is about to release a powered 1x12 FRFR that is small and extremely lightweight. Check out the clips on their Facebook page.

I love my CLR but it it pretty heavy (45lbs) for the non Neo version. You can get the lighter weight but $400 more over the non Neo puts it at twice the price of the new Matrix.

I think, that switching to AXE FX is the good chance to change everything, move away from traditional and heavy staff like stage monitors or wedges.
All you need are AXE FX, MFC 101 and good In Ear Monitoring system.

Back
Top Bottom