Ultimate Axe setup

Yianni54

Inspired
hey guys,

So I decided I'm going to sell my FX8 and get an axe-fx.

What is the best way to setup this rig? I will need the Axe of course but where my question lies is what do I get for a power amp and what do I get for a floor board. I see a lot of people get the matrix units. Should I get the 1600? How about for a floor board is the fractal MFC worth the money or are there others that'd do the same for less?

If you were going to set up your ultimate rig what would you have? From the rack case to the Furman.

Also, I have a 2x12 cab. I'm not gigging at the moment so should I stick with a cab or go with FRFR speakers?

Thanks

Just stick with the Axe FX + MFC 101 , perhaps 1-2 EV1 Exp pedals and play FRFR with some good sounding studio monitors . Sell the 2x12 cab...there are tons of great sounding IR's which will give you many more option and better sounding probably. Keep it simpel and small. No need for Furmans and stuff for now.
I have been gigging since the beginning of the Ultra and never used an power conditioner. Maybe I am just lucky...no problems so far ;)

For later when gigging :
Put the Axe FX in a 2u shock mount case , that way it is always good protected or the way I do it :
It is in a 2u soft case / rack bag and that case goes into a Pelicase 1610 for heavy protection.

Have fun :)

I'm a newb at this. Wow ok so you don't need a power amp if you have self powered FRFR cabs. So then will the quality of the speakers dictate the power and thus sound?

I'm a newb at this. Wow ok so you don't need a power amp if you have self powered FRFR cabs. So then will the quality of the speakers dictate the power and thus sound?
Yeah, of course the quality of the speakers will affect the sound. Whether that result is good or bad depends on your ear.

I suggest you search the forums and educate yourself. There's a ton of information here that will help you understand all the options for an Axe FX based rig. Lots of people have asked the same questions you're asking and are going to ask.

Yes, NO power amp needed for self powered FRFR.
If you are a total newbie : START SIMPEL !! o_O
Buy for example a simpel good sounding KRK Rockit RP6 and program your sounds on it.
Check it with backing tracks how your sound sit in the mix and forum members can give the comments on your sounds.
And with programming I mean : take a Cab and Amp with DEFAULT settings....that should already sound AWESOME...switch Amps until you find 1 Amp which comes closest to your imaginations and start tweaking ONLY the main buttons which you would find also on a 'real' Amp...DONT go advantage tweaking. First get to know your gear and sounds.

You can spend tons on much more better sounding FRFR studio monitors BUT probably no use at this moment .
I am still working with these cheaper KRK monitors and it translates GREAT everywhere I use my Axe Fx :):):)

Listen to some of my videos ...it gives you an idea.

Many people have their rigs setup in different ways. IMO it is down personal needs, budget and what is comfortable.

Don't I need a power amp or are you suggesting to run it 4cm through my Mesa MarkV?
My assumption is that Anand was referring to going direct to FOH.

If you were going to set up your ultimate rig what would you have? From the rack case to the Furman.
My ultimate setup would change depending on the environment I am playing.
I would break it down as the following...

Rack: SKB 4U Rolling Case - Furman Power Conditioner - Axe-FX II mkII - Matrix GT1000FX
Floor Board: MFC-101 and 2 Expression Pedals (Fractal or Mission Engineering)
Speakers: Matrix NL212 and FRFR wedges

My environments would then govern how I have the rig setup.

For playing at home: Axe-FX direct into an audio interface with CAB Sims On and play through headphones or monitors.
Live - without my guitars in the PA (i.e. small venues. pubs, small halls etc): Axe-FX into GT1000FX powering my Matrix NL212 Cab. CAB Sims OFF
Live - with guitars in the PA: Axe-FX direct to FOH, GT1000FX powering FRFR wedges on stage. CAB Sims ON

I would definitely at least try FRFR! It solves so many problems that traditional cabs have!!!
If you are just playing at home, studio monitores are great!!! If you want a louder giging setup go with a powered floor monitor!
Also, the MFC is awesome that's what I went with.

I used this floor monitor for a while but now I play with in ears so I just go straight to the pa.
Amazon product ASIN B004M8BO1A

Yea be careful about jumping into FRFR from an amp setup. It might be a hard adjustment for you but worth checking out for sure. What current gear do you have access to now? Any PA type speakers? Studio monitors?...etc.

I wouldn't sell anything until you figure out what you like. Some guys are all about FRFR solutions. Some guys are not. Some guys just like the sound of a cab in a room. Some guys like tubes over solid state.

You've got to do some research before you decide what's going to work for you. There are good and bad exchanges using both systems. Try as many different systems as you can before you settle on something. Otherwise you might just be throwing time and money away.

For example, I run a Mesa 290 through two 212 cabs and am FINALLY very satisfied with my results. I even started using it for recording traditionally - mic on the cab. Way happier.

Your mileage is sure to vary. I would never recommend a person go one way or the other.

Currently I have the Fractal FX8, Mesa MKV25 and a mesa 2x12.

I do have studio monitors, JBL LSR308's but I would rather have something a bit more powerful even for my studio.

Matrix is currently offering a GT1000 and nl2x12 for $1178. Is matrix the go to power amp? How are these NL212?

Thanks for the replys please keep em coming.

You will get an idea of what FRFR sounds like (roughly) with your JBLs. For loud stage volume, a suitable FRFR speaker or two will translate that sound into a room full of guitar sound. I favor the RCF NX12SMA, many here love the Atomic CLR, and there are about as many combinations of amp/speaker as you'll have time to read with searches: Matrix and XiTone as just a couple of those we see a lot. Then there are those who use the 4 cable method (4CM) and use their trusty guitar amplifier for a combination of Axe Fx and guitar amp tones.

Wade in slow, try a couple of connection methods with the gear you already have. You might be surprised at where that leads you.

Axe II XL+, MFC101 mkIII, 2x Atomic CLR active wedges, 2x expression pedals of choice = Ultimate rig

Edit: Accessories

Nice rack bag with Axe Fx & Furman, Vafm I/O panel to make connectors easier to get to. Studio slips bags for the CLR's

Reactions: sam
Dont know what you wanna buy but I have a Axe Fx ll mkll and a MFC101 with pedalboard extension for sale. Pm me if interested

A nice floorboard alternative if you're on a tight budget is the Behringer fcb1010. It takes a little time to configure by it's very good value for money.

Just stick with the Axe FX + MFC 101 , perhaps 1-2 EV1 Exp pedals and play FRFR with some good sounding studio monitors . Sell the 2x12 cab...there are tons of great sounding IR's which will give you many more option and better sounding probably. Keep it simpel and small. No need for Furmans and stuff for now.
I have been gigging since the beginning of the Ultra and never used an power conditioner. Maybe I am just lucky...no problems so far ;)

For later when gigging :
Put the Axe FX in a 2u shock mount case , that way it is always good protected or the way I do it :
It is in a 2u soft case / rack bag and that case goes into a Pelicase 1610 for heavy protection.

Have fun :)
..until one day..:((((....you DO need a power conditioner...!

Ok thanks for everyone replies. Couple questions and point. So I've done some research and it seems pretty unanimous the Atomic CLRs are great. So I'm going to go with the neo version on this.

In regards to the axe-fx should I go with the XL+ or go,with some of the leftover chassis and save $200?

since I'm going to buy the atomic CLRs I won't need the power amp BUT if do decide to get one is the Matrix gt1000 the one to get? Or should I bump up to the 1600?

Lastly, I hear the MFC is the way to go, my only issue with it is it is a bit of a big foot print and I don't need all that switching power. What else is a bit smaller, just as powerful and can get the job done. I looked at the behringer but I'm just not feeling it.

Do I need a power conditioner for home practice? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom