Rack Amp

It's not necessary to have one correct?
I see many Axe Fx setup using one.
Why is this?
they choose to power their speaker with a rack amp.

you can use a powered speaker, or a PA system, but those all have a power amplifier somewhere as well.

just different ways of doing it.

Yep, powered FRFR speakers such as the Atomic or Matrix, Powered monitors such as the RCF OR direct to a PA do not need a dedicated racked (or otherwise) Pwer amp as they all how Power amps inside the speaker.

Passive versions of the same speakers (such as the Matrix Q12 Passive) DO need a separate power amp, as do traditional guitar cabs (if thats your choice).

Most people with Power amps in their rack (like me) have them because they prefer to uses proper guitar cabs - either because they play small venues where the audience is used to real amps, or because the venues are too small to really mic up instruments so the benefit of going to PA for the guitar is negated - OR they just prefer real cabs for on stage monitoring.

Most people without power amps are either going direct to PA with in ear monitoring or an active FRFR cab for on stage monitoring.

Help me understand what you mean by "rack amp."
When I look online, I see the Fractal Axe FX in a rack case...and with it there is another piece of equiptement...things like the Matrix GT-500FX, or the Atomic SLR-400. I went to the Matrix web site, and there are two tabs to choose from ..guitar amps and rack amps..so I thought they were called rack amps

they choose to power their speaker with a rack amp.

you can use a powered speaker, or a PA system, but those all have a power amplifier somewhere as well.

just different ways of doing it.
Thnx...i was looking at QSC K series speakers...powered loudspeaker system. Thats a different question. But I understand your response.

Thnx...i was looking at QSC K series speakers...powered loudspeaker system. Thats a different question. But I understand your response.
Many use those speakers. They have a power amp built in, so no need for a rack power amp. Again, it's just preference. Some like to use non-powered speakers, and they would need a power amp.

Yep, powered FRFR speakers such as the Atomic or Matrix, Powered monitors such as the RCF OR direct to a PA do not need a dedicated racked (or otherwise) Pwer amp as they all how Power amps inside the speaker.

Passive versions of the same speakers (such as the Matrix Q12 Passive) DO need a separate power amp, as do traditional guitar cabs (if thats your choice).

Most people with Power amps in their rack (like me) have them because they prefer to uses proper guitar cabs - either because they play small venues where the audience is used to real amps, or because the venues are too small to really mic up instruments so the benefit of going to PA for the guitar is negated - OR they just prefer real cabs for on stage monitoring.

Most people without power amps are either going direct to PA with in ear monitoring or an active FRFR cab for on stage monitoring.

thnx, all of that was over my head and I needed to google into it...which turned out to be useful. I think I understand one part of it....that it is used for the speaker system. So, when you need to turn the volume up and you don't want your sound to be distorted...the amp boost the power so the sound can be amplified at the lower undistorted volume range? Is this accurate?
It's also to power speakers that don't have a built in amplifier mainly..
did I comprehend your response?

OP, are you playing out, playing at home or both?

I am only playing at home.
I am not in a band
I do not need a big sound
I currently use a Peavey Envoy 110 guitar amplifier, which I rarely turn up past 1.
But I just order the Axe Fx2+....over my head I admit...
but it's time to spend some money on my gear ,so that I can enjoy a great sound
But I am not up to speed on all this. As I look through the forum..I am not even close to understanding all of this
I am not a tech person who eats and breaths electronics.
But I have played for 30 years and I want this to grow into
I want to piece together a set up...around the fractal system
I have a bunch more questions that I will post in the forum

More basic: some people want to use their guitar cabinets from their Marshall or Mesa stacks or whatever. The Axe cannot power these like a regular guitar amp, therefore the need for power amps such as the Matrix you mentioned.

any speaker needs a power amp to work. if you plug the axe-fx - or anything - directly into a speaker with no power amp, there will be no audible sound.

there are 4 components to a sound system:

Source
Audio Connection/Mixer
Power Amp
Speaker

you need all 4 of those to make sound.

your Peavey amp has 3 parts already: Audio Connection, Power Amp, and Speaker. it's not just "a speaker." the QSC K series also has those same 3 parts. it's not just "a speaker."

a Yamaha BR10 for example IS just a speaker. also a Marshall 4x12, or 2x12, or 1x12, etc. just a speaker. they need a power amp, either coming from a real guitar amp head, or a rack power ampl

More basic: some people want to use their guitar cabinets from their Marshall or Mesa stacks or whatever. The Axe cannot power these like a regular guitar amp, therefore the need for power amps such as the Matrix you mentioned.
Your post brings my lack of understanding to the surface. Your response makes me think of an amp head. What am I missing?
The stack consists of the Cabinet of speakers and the amp head. So there isn't enough power in the axes built in amp...it has a built in amp...
But why wouldn't the axe plug into the amp head to power it like a guitar amp?

Based upon that I would recommend looking into some decent self-powered recording monitors. That's all you really need. Nothing big, nothing fancy.
Yes I have speaker questions...
I stumbled upon a QSC....but I don't need a 1000w system

Quick speaker question....I use a guitar amp...old one that sounds nice..to me. I could do better...anyways...
I don't fully understand the amp modeling...if I am using a cheap practice amp...isn't any speaker model going to sound like what it was designed for + whatever my practice amp turns it into..
So I though..I need to next start to consider individual speakers or recording monitors..like you said.
That way..the modeling will work like it should?

The Axe-Fx II XL+ is the ultimate all-in-one preamp/effects processor. I misunderstood when I saw "preamp"...this just means that it doesn't need a separate power source?
PREamp is not the same as POWER amp.

a preamp creates tone.

a power amp increases the level of sound for speakers to work.

PREamp is not the same as POWER amp.

a preamp creates tone.

a power amp increases the level of sound for speakers to work.

gotcha
what are your thoughts on power conditioners like the furman?
I understadn the benefits of a surge protector.
I am not getting any feedback or hums in my current cheapo setup...so is it safe to say I don't need one?

Yes I have speaker questions...
I stumbled upon a QSC....but I don't need a 1000w system

Quick speaker question....I use a guitar amp...old one that sounds nice..to me. I could do better...anyways...
I don't fully understand the amp modeling...if I am using a cheap practice amp...isn't any speaker model going to sound like what it was designed for + whatever my practice amp turns it into..
So I though..I need to next start to consider individual speakers or recording monitors..like you said.
That way..the modeling will work like it should?
You certainly can plug the AxeFX into any guitar amp. One of the things worth noting is that the AxeFX is modeling everything : guitar amps, effects, guitar cabinets, and the microphones being used on those cabinets. So effectively, the AxeFX is giving you a fully realized experience, which is suitable for full-range amplification, or for plugging into a recording console.
Now, if you want to amplify that signal, you can take that full-range output and just plug it into a regular guitar amp. But you should keep in mind that (1) every guitar amp will have its own sonic personality, so that will change the sound of your modeled signal (2) guitar speaker cabinets also have their own sonic personality, so they will also change the sound of your modeled signal and (3) guitar cabinet speakers generally are not full-range, so that will also change your sound by limiting high frequencies and exaggerating others. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have those components alter your sound, but it means your final tone will always be shaped by your guitar amp, no matter how good it is.
Many AxeFX users go with a FRFR (full-range, flat-reponse) amplifier / speaker approach. This means you would use one (or more) flat-response speakers cabinet(s), with a flat-response power amp (either rack mounted or built into the cabinet). My touring system consists of the AxeFX, a Carvin full-range power amp, and a pair of Euphonic VL110 full-range cabinets. I also have a Xitone 1x12 full-range monitor wedge that I use for smaller gigs. When I'm building tones at home, I just use a pair of FRFR studio monitors. For tracking in the studio, I just plug the AxeFX straight into the board.
I recommend trying the studio monitor approach. You don't have to spend a lot on your monitors, but do make a point of getting a pair of powered monitors that have fairly neutral tone, and are capable of delivering a good sound at your practice volume. That way you can shape your tones in the AxeFX knowing that what you're hearing isn't being colored by the characteristics of an external guitar amp or its speakers. You can also use a good pair of studio headphones, but look for a pair that is designed for fairly flat response; most consumer headphones have exaggerated bass response.
More than anything, experiment with the AxeFX, and play play play! Welcome to the fun!

Back
Top Bottom