Wish - VU meters in Axe Edit

OK, how about a selectable VU option that could be "Floating" and would also include dynamics gain reduction, and makeup.

I wanted to give you an example, but I can't!

SOMEBODY HELP ME… I have not been able to upload ANY images into this forum. I continue to get error messages saying my 48K has been exceeded.
When I go to the upload manager, I see my history of images I uploaded in the past. There seems to be no way to delete these.
What is the maximum file size? Why are image files as small as 20k being rejected…..I'm LOST!

Last edited:
SOMEBODY HELP ME… I have not been able to upload ANY images into this forum. I continue to get error messages saying my 48K has been exceeded.
When I go to the upload manager, I see my history of images I uploaded in the past. There seems to be no way to delete these.
What is the maximum file size? Why are image files as small as 20k being rejected…..I'm LOST!

The best way to do embed an image to the forum is to host it on another site and then paste the URL into the forum. A very popular and simple image hosting site is Imgur. Upload your image there, get the URL of the iamge, and post it on the forum via the picture icon (has a tree on it).

I was going to post a comment when this first came up but it came off as being negative so I deleted it.

The only thing that I'd say is that from my limited understanding of programming and stuff is that it'd have to be done one of two ways. Either the USB audio is monitored which probably means that AxeEdit would have to take control of it and end up causing problems with a DAW or it would have to be via realtime MIDI which would probably be a whole hell of a lot of information not to mention that the AxeFXII would have to process that information and send it over MIDI in realtime along with tap tempo, tuner, parameter adjustments, cab loading, etc.

I was going to post a comment when this first came up but it came off as being negative so I deleted it.

The only thing that I'd say is that from my limited understanding of programming and stuff is that it'd have to be done one of two ways. Either the USB audio is monitored which probably means that AxeEdit would have to take control of it and end up causing problems with a DAW or it would have to be via realtime MIDI which would probably be a whole hell of a lot of information not to mention that the AxeFXII would have to process that information and send it over MIDI in realtime along with tap tempo, tuner, parameter adjustments, cab loading, etc.

I have a limited understanding of the Axe FX and Axe Edit's programming as well, but if you consider how the tuner works (analyzing and gauging sound/frequency) between the Axe FX and Axe Edit, I don't see how Axe Edit couldn't have a volume meter of sorts. The Axe Edit tuner shows you in real time your what you're tuning. Sound is being analyzed in the Axe FX and that information in the Axe FX is being sent to Axe Edit. All the work is being done in the Axe FX and just sent to Axe Edit. I can only assume that volume metering in Axe Edit can be achieved the same way as the tuner, even if its opened in another window.

This is where an Axe Edit developer should chime in and let us know if this capable of being done. ;) ;) ;)

I have a limited understanding of the Axe FX and Axe Edit's programming as well, but if you consider how the tuner works (analyzing and gauging sound/frequency) between the Axe FX and Axe Edit, I don't see how Axe Edit couldn't have a volume meter of sorts. The Axe Edit tuner shows you in real time your what you're tuning. Sound is being analyzed in the Axe FX and that information in the Axe FX is being sent to Axe Edit. All the work is being done in the Axe FX and just sent to Axe Edit. I can only assume that volume metering in Axe Edit can be achieved the same way as the tuner, even if its opened in another window.

This is where an Axe Edit developer should chime in and let us know if this capable of being done. ;) ;) ;)
That's my point; the tuning is being done by the AxeFXII and then the information is being sent as a MIDI stream to AxeEdit or the MFC. That's a pretty significant amount of data being sent in real time. Now the AxeFXII will have analyze the signal level (which is constantly changing) and transform that to a realtime MIDI stream. And if you notice when you are using the tuner all of the parameters for adjustment are basically disabled. I would assume that is because it is taking up so much of the MIDI bandwidth and you wouldn't want collisions or something. Of course this is just speculation on my part and having someone in the know would be helpful, but that's kind of what these threads are all about aren't they? ;)

You could use something like Orban's loudness meter in the meantime which is free and extremely good. Plus it provides not only VU but loudness which is more applicable for patch balancing in live situations.

ORBAN Loudness Meter

That's my point; the tuning is being done by the AxeFXII and then the information is being sent as a MIDI stream to AxeEdit or the MFC. That's a pretty significant amount of data being sent in real time. Now the AxeFXII will have analyze the signal level (which is constantly changing) and transform that to a realtime MIDI stream. And if you notice when you are using the tuner all of the parameters for adjustment are basically disabled. I would assume that is because it is taking up so much of the MIDI bandwidth and you wouldn't want collisions or something. Of course this is just speculation on my part and having someone in the know would be helpful, but that's kind of what these threads are all about aren't they? ;)

You could use something like Orban's loudness meter in the meantime which is free and extremely good. Plus it provides not only VU but loudness which is more applicable for patch balancing in live situations.

ORBAN Loudness Meter

That's a pretty cool plugin! Only thing is you'd have to factor in how much volume you're sending to your interface or SPDIF. The beauty of the VU and Volume Metering inside the Axe FX is it measures the patch's volume being sent to the Outputs, not the volume of the Outputs being sent to your audio interface/FOH/etc.

How about this though...and it's probably a bit of a stretch here...Think about how the ADSR Envelope controllers work. If you set an ADSR Envelope controller to an effect's parameter, when you strike the string, you see it the knob spin according to the volume of the guitar. In a way, that's Axe Edit interpreting volume changes being processed by the Axe Fx. Again that's a huge stretch for what we're talking about and our limited knowledge of the software. :p

I'd love to see a "floating", and maybe resizable VU that also includes compression/make-up levels. The graphics/GUI could be modeled after the Brainworx example below.

Attachments

• VU meter.jpg
    VU meter.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 12
I would be more than happy with a simple display in Axe edit displaying a number that is +/- the clip threshold, does not even need to be in real time, in fact just a peak indicator and what that number is.

I mean for me, all I want to see is if it's clipping and how much after I play a bit. I don't need to see it in real time.

It's just the same thing as streaming tuner data to axeedit i guess...
I would imagine that it could be very similar. But has anyone else noticed that AxeEdit is basically disabled when it's doing that?

I don't know much about MIDI, but I do know that I've had plenty of problems trying to do too much with it on one channel....of course if the AxeFXII could transmit that information on a different MIDI channel then who knows, it may be possible.

Back
Top Bottom