AX8 and 4CM

Heinzi

Inspired
I´m really curios - I know that the AX8 will not be optimized for the 4cm instead of the FX8 - but what does that exactly mean?
Will the send/returns have the humbuster technology, could humming or meter problems ocurr or will it be able to handle the 4cm like for instance a Boss GT10,100 ( (Cliff said something like that in a post)) with just a bit of "sound stealing" ? Could it be that you need some tools for galvanic isolation or somehting... I´m sure there are Users who like to use the modelled amps but also here and there their favourite head...

Until someone plugs it into an amp in 4CM and gives us a report its all speculation. Once the manual is published we'll know if it has humbuster connections.

I have an FX8 and will be comparing the two in 4CM. I'm early on the waiting list and will make the comparison as soon as I get the AX8.

Note that Humbuster eliminates ground hum specifically, not other types of noise in the signal such as pickup hum.

If you don't have any ground hum in the first place, there's nothing there to 'bust'. You can still end up noisy for other reasons.

I'm half thinking of using a small tube head as my power amp at somepoint and possibly even run things in 4cm if I feel like it or at least I have a head as a backup. The beauty is I think the AX8 will handle 4cm just great, not as awesomely as the fx8 but still very doable. I first used an Ultra in 4cm and had that setup working even without humbusters.

ax8 will not have relay switching however. Confirmed by Joe in person at the LA amp show. Fx8 is a better choice if you need amp channel switching in your presets.

FX8 is designed for Unity Gain and easy use with real amps. AX8 is designed for Amp Modeling and going "direct" and not specifically for pairing with a real amp setup. it can probably be integrated the same way the Axe-Fx line can be, but the FX8 again was designed specifically for use with real amps.

if you can deal with putting the FX Loop block in every preset, balancing/changing a ton of Block levels so you don't clip anything, etc., then the AX8 will probably work well - possibly more noisy than the FX8 due to different physical components.

i feel it really depends on what you want out of a product. if you are die-hard with your real amps, FX8 might be a better choice. if you don't have any FAS products and want to taste the amp modeling in a floor unit and still have the option to use it with your real amp, well the AX8 price-point is pretty hard to say no to.

I wonder how close the AX8 can be to the FX8 if you make a patch with no 4cm, and no amp/cab into the front of the amp? Is it easy to set the gains that way, so if say, there were no effects on, your amp would respond the same way? I know the FX8 is suited to unity gain, but not using 4cm ever, and only sometimes wanting to use the AX8 in front of an amp, the AX8 is still the right choice, no?

I wonder how close the AX8 can be to the FX8 if you make a patch with no 4cm, and no amp/cab into the front of the amp? Is it easy to set the gains that way, so if say, there were no effects on, your amp would respond the same way? I know the FX8 is suited to unity gain, but not using 4cm ever, and only sometimes wanting to use the AX8 in front of an amp, the AX8 is still the right choice, no?
i know for the Axe-Fx, with just Shunts in a preset (the "blank" block that just passes signal) and the Out knobs all the way up, you get Unity Gain. this may be the same for the AX8, so technically speaking, it should be the same as the FX8 in the same situation. usually adding Effect type blocks (not an amp or drive block with tons of level) and keeping them at 0/nominal Level keeps things pretty much Unity gain as well.

so you could be on the right track with that thought. i'm not sure anyone knows for sure right now though.

Well said Chris.

I'd say yes. AX8 probably a better choice for you.

This would have been a much simpler choice if AX8 was way more expensive than FX8, which many had anticipated originally.

Cliff has justified the relative prices of each in terms of hardware. AX8 has an extra DSP, FX8 has extra stuff to support relay, quiet 4CM and unity gain. But the thing is, when you buy a Fractal product you are not just buying a hardware box, you are buying the result of YEARS of Cliff's amazing firmware development. Anyone who has been following knows that the bulk of his relentless mad scientist efforts to improve have been spent on amp and cab modelling.

It just FEELS like the AX8 should cost way more than FX8.

i feel it really depends on what you want out of a product. if you are die-hard with your real amps, FX8 might be a better choice. if you don't have any FAS products and want to taste the amp modeling in a floor unit and still have the option to use it with your real amp, well the AX8 price-point is pretty hard to say no to.

my point exactly....if you dont have any FAS products this ax8 makes sense to get your feet wet. If you already have an axefx2 xl+ its not going to be as versatile or powerful.. of course FAS will sell as many units as you want..lol..to whoever wants them...You could get 1 for home...one to gig with..one to keep at your GF's house..One at your in laws house..and one as a backup if you want!

Hmm seems like if you want to use an amp with Channel switching AND the Axe amps neither the Ax or Fx are the Solution- maybe the red Lehle Loop could eliminate some humming...i hoped the ax8 could do the 4cm at least as a Boss gt 10, but i don't see a channel switch there, right?

Hmm seems like if you want to use an amp with Channel switching AND the Axe amps neither the Ax or Fx are the Solution
why is the FX8 not the solution? it has MIDI and Relay switches for channel switching, and can connect via 4 cable method.

i hoped the ax8 could do the 4cm at least as a Boss gt 10, but i don't see a channel switch there, right?
4 cable method has nothing to do with any channel switching. what are you referring to?

Correct, AX8 will not have the relay block for channel switching. If your amp supports midi switching, AX8 should handle that but we don't have any midi implementation details for the AX8 yet to say for sure.

Last edited:
Well the fx8 has no amps, Right- and yes i was referring to 4cm inclunding Channel switching my amp- i love to use my two channels live and occasionally some Amps out of the axe fx but during musical jobs i need only the axe amps directly to the FOH so i was hoping the ax8 could combine that in one Floorboard- maybe not as sophisticated as the fx8 but still on the Pod, Boss Level...

But that's fine- still love fractal Audio:)

Back
Top Bottom