RJM Switch Gizmo Questions Mesa Boogie Lonestar

Paulg2uk

Power User
Hey guys,

This might be a bit of a stupid question but I'm using an RJM Switch Gizmo instead of the FX8's relays mainly because I have a Boogie Lonestar combo and want to take advantage of the amp's chan, solo and reverb switching. I just wondered if I wanted to setup reverb and solo switching from the amp to a particular foot-switch on the FX8 do I just assign a midi block and find out the cc no? The rest I can get away with via scenes but the solo and reverb would be handy to switch on the fly if possible.

Cheers

Paul

Ok so I managed to figure this out but now. I now need to know how to switch channels via scenes. I've tried saving the switch gizmo settings by holding the write button for a couple of seconds. It does save the settings but now both scenes have the same switch gizmo settings.

Anyone got any ideas?

does the Gizmo accept PC and CC messages? or just one type?

how many different "Gizmo Presets" do you need?

does the Gizmo accept PC and CC messages? or just one type?

how many different "Gizmo Presets" do you need?

According to the manual it looks like it does both. I'll have to ask Ron at RJM I think. Basically what I wanna do it have the Lonestar setup so I can toggle the reverb and solo control on most presets but then I want to be able to switch channels via scenes as well. Usually when changing presets you just hit what buttons you want on the RJM and then just save it and it works. I can't seem to do this via scenes on the FX8 the buttons on the RJM just say the same meaning its not sending a control message somewhere.

Last edited:
Ok right I've heard back from Ron at RJM. The FX8 doesn't send program changes when you change scenes so the switch gizmo won't respond. Ron said he will have to work on a fix for it. I'm not sure when though.

I'm wondering if the guys at Fractal can sort this for me?

Scenes work via CC message with a value. that's why i was asking about PC and CC on the Gizmo. (ron is fast, huh?)

but the FX8 can send a PC message when a Scene is selected! see Page 37 of the FX8 manual. wouldn't that do what you need? you just need to determine the PC numbers. maybe set the MIDI Channel of the Gizmo to something different than the FX8 so the Gizmo isn't affected by FX8 preset changes, and then assign the Per Scene MIDI PCs to that different channel for the Gizmo specifically.

the MIDI block can also be used, but then i think you're limited to just 2 messages (X and Y and off), so it doesn't sound like enough for what you want to do. unless you want to use a MIDI block for the Solo and Reverb switches (also saved per scene) AND the per scene PC messages.

Last edited:
Scenes work via CC message with a value. that's why i was asking about PC and CC on the Gizmo. (ron is fast, huh?)

but the FX8 can send a PC message when a Scene is selected! see Page 37 of the FX8 manual. wouldn't that do what you need? you just need to determine the PC numbers. maybe set the MIDI Channel of the Gizmo to something different than the FX8 so the Gizmo isn't affected by FX8 preset changes, and then assign the Per Scene MIDI PCs to that different channel for the Gizmo specifically.

the MIDI block can also be used, but then i think you're limited to just 2 messages (X and Y and off), so it doesn't sound like enough for what you want to do. unless you want to use a MIDI block for the Solo and Reverb switches (also saved per scene) AND the per scene PC messages.

That's what I thought. I'd just need the correct PC no to change the gizmo. I've asked Ron again anyway. I'm using 2 midi blocks for the solo control and the reverb.

Why not take advantage of the FX8's relays?
Remember they are stereo relays so you can switch up to 4 different things at once (2 each relay)

Insert cables, that have a stereo jack plugs on one side and 2x mono plugs on the other, should help you out here (as I think the Mesa has a couple of mono switching jacks).

Last edited:
wouldn't you just set some PC number on the FX8, send it, then have the Gizmo "learn" like you described earlier?

I just got this from Ron, he said he was wrong it does work.

Ah, I just had a look at that thread on the Fractal forum. Looks like I'm wrong, which is good news! I was thinking of the Axe-Fx, which doesn't have this ability.

There's a couple ways to do this, but here's how I would do it.

You have 8 combinations of settings on your amp:

1: clean, solo off, reverb off
2: clean, solo off, reverb on
3: clean, solo on, reverb off
4: clean, solo on, reverb on
5: lead, solo off, reverb off
6: lead, solo off, reverb on
7: lead, solo on, reverb off
8: lead, solo on, reverb on

So, for each scene, program it to send the desired PC number from the list above on MIDI channel 1.

The first time you use each of the 8 programs, you'll need to set it up on the Switch Gizmo. Select the scene on the FX8, then use the front panel buttons on the Switch Gizmo to select the correct channel, solo and reverb settings. Hold the Write button, which should flash after about 3 seconds. Then, when you select that scene again, the Switch Gizmo will select the desired channel, etc.

Note that this would also work for our other switchers.

i think if everything is on MIDI channel 1, when you change regular presets on the FX8, the Gizmo will change too. i'm pretty sure you don't want that.

if i'm right, i'd suggest again setting the Gizmo to a different channel, and program those Scene specific PC messages on that channel. then you can change presets on the FX8 (Channel 1) all day without affecting the Gizmo (because if you don't, when you switch to Preset 2 on the FX8, the Gizmo will change to its "Preset 2" which is set up for a particular Scene).

this may mean setting up every FX8 preset you'll use with those PC numbers on the different channel, but this is the way to go in the long run.

i think if everything is on MIDI channel 1, when you change regular presets on the FX8, the Gizmo will change too. i'm pretty sure you don't want that.

if i'm right, i'd suggest again setting the Gizmo to a different channel, and program those Scene specific PC messages on that channel. then you can change presets on the FX8 (Channel 1) all day without affecting the Gizmo (because if you don't, when you switch to Preset 2 on the FX8, the Gizmo will change to its "Preset 2" which is set up for a particular Scene).

this may mean setting up every FX8 preset you'll use with those PC numbers on the different channel, but this is the way to go in the long run.

I see what you're saying Chris. I'll have to see how I get on. I've got a gig tomorrow night so I can't fiddle with it too much tonight. Setting the FX8 and Gizmo to channel 2 would be an idea that way the gizmo's presets are saved without any hassle.

ISetting the FX8 and Gizmo to channel 2 would be an idea that way the gizmo's presets are saved without any hassle.

just to clarify, FX8 would stay set to Ch 1. you'd program the PC changes (page 37 of the manual) to send on Ch 2, matching the Gizmo that's set to Ch 2.

Sorry Chris, yes that's what I meant. This would all be set in the CFG menu is that correct?

yes! i thought that's what you meant too, but just wanted to make sure. i think really the only change you need to make is set the Gizmo to Ch 2, then program that CFG menu for each FX8 preset to send on Ch 2, choose your PC #, send it, Learn it on the Gizmo. it should work!

yes! i thought that's what you meant too, but just wanted to make sure. i think really the only change you need to make is set the Gizmo to Ch 2, then program that CFG menu for each FX8 preset to send on Ch 2, choose your PC #, send it, Learn it on the Gizmo. it should work!

Excellent, thanks Chris you and Ron have been a great help It's much appreciated. I'm just happy it works lol and others will now know how to do it if they need to as well. Time for some programming lol

Back
Top Bottom