TWO new Cab-Packs!

Is there a reason Cab pack 14's free inclusion of CP5 only includes XL syx files? I converted the IRs with cab lab but theoretically a MkII owner who does not own cab-lab might have a need for them.

Is there a reason Cab pack 14's free inclusion of CP5 only includes XL syx files? I converted the IRs with cab lab but theoretically a MkII owner who does not own cab-lab might have a need for them.

Axe Edit will convert them.

Do the new cab packs include IRs captured with a flat response mic? I prefer little to no mic coloration in my IRs, and almost always use the "none" mic on the Cab block for stock IRs.

Well selecting a "mic" in the cab block doesn't actually mean that you're putting that mic on a neutral cab. Those "mics" are just EQs that emulate the characteristics of whatever mic you select. You prefer "none" because you're getting the sound of an actual mic on the cab, resulting in a more realistic tone.

So to answer your question, there aren't any flat response captures in the Cab Packs. They're all IRs of real mic'd up cabs (typically with the mic type in the IR name).

Do the new cab packs include IRs captured with a flat response mic? I prefer little to no mic coloration in my IRs, and almost always use the "none" mic on the Cab block for stock IRs.

Neither of Cab Pack 13 or 14 contain reference microphone captures.

The microphone choices in the Fractal Cab Block are IR's (I think) shot to simulate various brands of microphones. The "Null" microphone type is a flat IR that lets you dial in other Cab block parameters, like Proximity, without coloring the tone with a "microphone EQ".

That's unfortunate.

I bought cab pack 15. These are some of the best sounding IR's I've ever tried.

Mic technique on these is really outstanding and more to what I personally like vs. some other cab packs.

I can tell a big difference in quality for the better vs. say Cab pack 4.

Last edited:
I bought cab pack 13. These are some of the best sounding IR's I've ever tried.

Mic technique on these is really outstanding and more to what I personally like vs. some other cab packs.

I can tell a big difference in quality for the better vs. say Cab pack 4.

I have no doubt the technique is excellent. I simply prefer a single reference mic IR to the rabbit hole of inches/axis options from standard mic IRs. If they start including reference IRs, they'll have another purchaser.

Which of the stock IRs do you think are captured with a flat response mic?

There are many IR packs out there that include captures with reference mics (Redwirez for one). As for the stock cabs. The "None" mic, not to be confused with "Null" gives the sound of the cab without any mic model coloration. RTFM folks.

2b1bb233ba92316e90335f351a21522c.jpg

There are many IR packs out there that include captures with reference mics (Redwirez for one). As for the stock cabs. The "None" mic, not to be confused with "Null" gives the sound of the cab without any mic model coloration. RTFM folks.

Realize that you're talking to a person who actually created some of the stock cabs. :D Trust me, most of the stock IRs are NOT shot with reference mics.

No offence though. There's nothing wrong with liking reference mic captures and those presets but it's not going to give you the most authentic tone. Those mic models don't magically turn a reference mic position into a really good 57 mic position f.ex.

The "None" mic, not to be confused with "Null" gives the sound of the cab without any mic model coloration. RTFM folks.

I hope you don't think that's the case for every stock cab impulse. Although, it is hypothetically the case for I'd guess around 60 stock cabs mostly because the RW ones haven't been phased out.

A "neutral" or flat responding microphone impulse capture never really gave me the idea that it didn't have a mic "baked in." If any measurement microphone was actually perfect there wouldn't be any competitive market from different brands regarding which one has better quality. In the end it still imparted something, and it was likely just thrown at some arbitrary position on the cabinet. When you're buying a cab pack you're buying a professional's ability and skill to position a selection of microphones on the given cab, which is exactly what all the great bands had to do back when recording to tape. Today more studio engineers rely on post EQ rather than their ability to find the perfect mic position. The end result may sound good, but most legendary guitar tones started with an engineer who knew how to place a mic properly.

And even with a flat mic, the position makes a huge difference. So it's not possible to have an IR that's just the speaker.

Back
Top Bottom