How many of you use REAL cabs still?

To me, this is the most logical use:

Recording: IRs. The net result is the same if you mic up a cab.

Small club/bar: Power amp + cab. IMO, if you're playing over FRFR with IRs, you're not getting the same impact of the simple cab+amp setup. IRs include a mic's coloration into the live sound. Traditionally, when playing in a small venue, the audience hears the cab with no mic. In a small club, I prefer to play as if I'm using a traditional amp+cab setup. Just my preference and makes sense to me. Not saying it's better than FRFR. This is coming from someone who plays metal, uses a Marshall cab suited for the genre, and doesn't switch amps all too much. If I were in a cover band that relies on a variety and accurate reproduction of tones from different cabs or combo amps, then FRFR with IRs is the way to go.

Larger venue: If its possible to go direct into the PA, then IRs are crucial. On stage, doesn't really matter if its a cab or FRFR.

I'm just a bedroom player that occasionally jams with a few friends but I prefer Axe into poweramp/4x12 cab with cab sims off when jamming by myself or with friends. I tried several different FRFR solutions(including CLR) as I felt like I was missing out on the whole FRFR/IR thing but it just did not sound good to me at all for jamming live. The interesting thing though is that the Axe sounds great when using cab sims via USB to Laptop/DAW! The playback of the recorded tone sounds perfect so not sure what I was doing wrong with FRFR but to me it just always sounded 'off', either very bassy or very trebly or both. The next thing I want to try is a set of powered Studio Monitor speakers and see how that sounds. I'm hoping it will sound closer to what the recorded output of the DAW sounds like. I have edited my patches and now have the FXL block added to them all just prior to the cab block so that I can run Output 1 to USB/DAW and Output 2 to poweramp/4x12 cab to have both simultaneously. In case some of you didn't know, the FXL block automatically routes the signal at that point in the chain directly to Output 2 on the Axe so if you put it just prior to the cab block, you can the have best of both worlds!

direct with in-ears, direct with FRFR wedge, and real guitar cabs, all three.

I don't use real cabs much anymore. Only when the band leader wants to have a real backline.

I can tell differences with real cabs vs. FRFR, but it's not enough to make use the real cabs over FRFR.

I don't regularly play big venues or stadiums so I really don't need a big stage rig for either appearance or stage coverage.

The options available are what is so MAGNIFICENT about the Axe in the first place, IMO.
I use a backline and run Out 1 to FOH and Out 2 to the Matrix and Cabs.
Consistent tones are important AND another awesome part of Axe ownership.
Live, I want to see 4X12's, it's a ROCK show!! I guess I'm old school.

Yet, I don't think it's just me. I mean how many touring acts have a fake backline?? Or one that they only use some of live.
Rush was so great last show, Lifeson's backline changed as the set went back in time.
He had HUGE stacks when they were playing tunes from Moving Pictures...
What does that say...just that he's not running through ANY of that stuff anyway.
But damn it looked cool on the stage!!

Anyway, use what works. Use it all, if you can. That's what the Axe affords us. Versatility and options and GREAT tone!!!

I only use cabs with my Axe Fx 2 into a tube power amp. I never got into using IR's. I get a better tone with my cabs although I've bee using my real amps and using my Axe Fx 2 as a tuner! But I do use if I need a particular amp that I don't have.

At home I use cab IRs and powered monitors.

Live, Practice, and everywhere else I use a Port City OS Wave 2x12 and Mesa 2:90 tube power amp with cab sims off.

I use real cabs. A 4x12 for dirt and an open back 2x12 for cleans. I pan between them for "in the middle" sounds. This is what sounds and feels best to me.

I play with headphones or through one of my 2x12 cabs (2xV30 or T75+K100).
BTW, I don't understand why the speaker resonance frequency is not a global parameter. Cliff once said:
"The Axe-Fx has no way of knowing what that resonant frequency is and defaults to a value that is common for the speakers that are typically used with that amp."

A changing default value for a common speaker doesn't make sense when using a real cab. A global SRF (common default or fixed value) parameter would be better so I don't have to set the frequency again when I switch to a different amp model.

I know, it's not hard to tweak, but this is a parameter I change every time when I select a different amp model.

I do. I used frfr first, but lacked controllable feedback and that oomph. So now, I use two 1960 with greenbacks, and it sounds and feels like the real thing, only much more versatile.

I use real cabs for my stage sound. Output 2through a power amp to a port city cab.

Cab irs sent to FOH through output 1. Best of both worlds when playing live. Getting to hear "my cab tone". Audience hears the IR.

I use all three, plus I sometimes use a cheap powered monitor (EV ZLX12) as my backline sound source in small rooms. My fifth option is using the Axe FX in 4cm with one of my Mesas. All options work well for me, but I have different patches for each setup.

However, I must add that when using a real cabinet I use a 4x12 less and less, even with a head. My "tone tastes" seem to be changing as I age, and I find myself liking smaller cabinets and open-backed/semi-closed cabinets more. I also find myself wanting less volume on stage as it assists me (obviously) with hearing what the other players are doing. I like a little oomph, but not the building rattling stage volume I preferred when I was younger.

It's great that we have so many options. Cliff really thought of everything. For me, it's FRFR all the way. I see other players lugging 4x12's and I'm not jealous at all. My powered Carvin LM12a's roar and shake any stage I'm playing on. One of my favorite things is chugging some crunch and feeling the stage vibrate under my feet. And at 29 lbs each, my 3 space rack, and a midi pedalboard, I'm rockin in no time without working up a sweat. If I had roadies, my story might change, but I don't, so it won't :)

I haven't tried my Axe with a real cabinet but I do remember playing on my real amp and cabinet. In my original band we started adding a few covers to our set to fill out the set. One of the songs I use
to play in my old cover band. I feel there is a roundness lost when running through the CLR. The clean is more airy and less rounded. At some point I will get a chance to compare against my new 4x12 but
it's still needs the speakers installed and I need to get my Matrix power amp. Tonight I will be testing out 2 passive wedges with a QSC power amp and will compare the difference to the one CLR.

Roundness, that is what is lost. Not sure others agree or even hear that. I for one hear it and feel it. I love the Axe and I am determined to get what I want out of it. I enjoy having different amps for different
tones and having everything onboard. As much as I have loved my real amps, I do not want to deal with building a pedal board or having a rack plus head. Only other option would be the FX8 and real amp.

Anyway, I look forward to trying and comparing. My CLR keeps up with band no issues, I'm just missing some of the roundness that I left behind with a real amp and cabinet.

I'm in the process of switching from FRFR to traditional cabs to regain that "in the room" feel everyone talks about. Tone-wise, FRFR is great. With good IRs and a good playback system it sounds like a really well mic'd guitar cab running through sound reinforcement. For something like recording, it's an excellent solution with several notable benefits. For casually jamming in a room though, I really started to miss that "oomph" feel.

I'm in the exact same boat, and agree. In the process of transitioning back to real cabs. I still use IRs for recording and for certain patches. And they're great. But I have been missing that 4x12 in the room feel.

I use it both ways. I use the FX Loop before the cab block in my presets to send the signal without the IR processing to my tube power amp and my cab. The IR processed signal goes straight to the mixer for recording, FOH, etc.

Sometimes I catch me wondering if it was good to have a stereo FRFR instead of traditional setup, but them I play through my pair of studio monitors, feel my needs and the GAS is gone =D

I use both. I'm a bedroom player primarily right now, but I think it's just generally nice to have a real cab to play through if a situation calls for it or if you just feel the urge to shake some walls. That said, I'm a student living in a flat with 5 other people and obviously I can't crank a 2x12 at 3am without pissing people off. My setup gives me the best of both worlds. All of my patches are setup to run output 2 to my Matrix GT800FX and Port City 2x12 while output 1 runs through an IR to my headphones and USB for recording.

I honestly think that most people would get better results with recording and live sound using IRs rather than actually micing a cab. The technology is close enough that no non-audiophiles could tell the difference and you have the benefit of consistently good mic-placement with zero bleed. Unfortunately I've dealt with sound guys that refuse to use direct guitars though, so having a cab to use for those situations, as well as the benefit of traditional and familiar stage sound, is a good idea.

real cabs live
IR's studio

I have found zero advantage to using guitar cabs with the AXE live--why do you prefer it? Occasionally for larger shows our sound guy puts a couple empty/dummy 4x12s behind me for visuals but that's it. Guitar cabs are beam-y, picky with mic positioning, heavy, bulky, etc. Just curious why you feel this way...

Back
Top Bottom