FW18 - AC30

I am hoping this amp will improve with the G3 modelling Have a listen to the isolated guitar track on highway Star by deep purple. Absolutely incredible.. Great attack and piano like clarity & sustain. Simply as good as it gets. So many famous musicians have said his sound was the best they ever heard. Just a AC30 and a treble booster. I still think the Vox"s in the Axe have a way to go while the plexi's are amazing. Here's hoping!!

Exactly what I'm thinking.

The design of the ACs which consider many electrical engineers as 'faulty' since it is supposedly connected with early wearout of the power tubes lead to an incredible sound which I have yet to hear in the AF2. Let's hope FW18 closes the gap.

Since I am never really scared to show my ignorance. ...i always thought Blackmore was a Marshall Major kind of guy.
Same here. I am not a Deep Purple fanatic, but at least on stage, it was the Marshall Major. Perhaps he used something different in the studio?

He was known to use the Vox on this album, except for one track, which remains a mystery but most people think Smoke on the water which was recorded befor ethey went to the Grand Hotel

He used to use AC30s before he moved over to Marshalls and you can see some clips in the late 60's where he has one for ring that Neck

The solo'ed tracks they played on the Classic Albums is an AC30. Sounds beefier once the hammond (through a Marshall) is in but on their own, the guitars are AC30.

The solo'ed tracks they played on the Classic Albums is an AC30. Sounds beefier once the hammond (through a Marshall) is in but on their own, the guitars are AC30.

We lost John Lord :( I'm a guitarist but in my mind Lord really was the sound of Deep Purple. I always admired his musicianship and loved the way he looked on stage; like he just stepped out of the Conan the Barbarian movie :)

We lost John Lord :( I'm a guitarist but in my mind Lord really was the sound of Deep Purple. I always admired his musicianship and loved the way he looked on stage; like he just stepped out of the Conan the Barbarian movie :)

Yes, absolutely. Jon was a massive part of the purple sound. They are in safe hands with Don Airey. he had so much respect for Jon. Just wish mr Blackmore would go back.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

The design of the ACs which consider many electrical engineers as 'faulty' since it is supposedly connected with early wearout of the power tubes lead to an incredible sound which I have yet to hear in the AF2. Let's hope FW18 closes the gap.
I wonder if there are different H/W models. Since the AF2 models stuff @ the schematic level the vintage of the 'source' AC30 could also account for many discrepancies if you are a very detailed listener (I'm not a big Vox fan, so ballpark works for me ;) ).

I wonder if there are different H/W models. Since the AF2 models stuff @ the schematic level the vintage of the 'source' AC30 could also account for many discrepancies if you are a very detailed listener (I'm not a big Vox fan, so ballpark works for me ;) ).

There have been many different models over the years, from the original JMI versions back in the 60's, to the Korg versions made in England to the recent versions which are made in Japan.

I'm more interested in the original JIM versions of the mid to late 60's. I have a newer AC30 CC2 model, which was modified to original JMI specs.. with power scaling. I also added a Weber Blue Dog and Silver Bell speaker.

As much as I enjoy my Axe-Fx II and how close the AC30 models are, especially with the German made IR cab packs, I still enjoy using my Axe-Fx II and playing through my AC30 more. However, given what I've been hearing from these G3 clips the beta testers have been posting, I'm hoping the G3 AC30 model will be a JMI version and it will sound as good as the other new amp models that have been recently demo'd.

Sounds like he could've been having some monitoring issues, and not able to hear himself. At least I hope that's what it is?? I know I've had the same and damn it was hard to hear myself think, much less hear where I was at.

Back
Top Bottom