Ok wish me luck last chance for my CLR today with the full band

well....sounds like you did everything you could to bond with it.

FRFR is not for everyone....

Well, few cents:

CLR is honest, so if your tone suck, it will still suck via FOH, even if you go in tube amp+cabinet.
Amp+cabinet will make you play comfortable, but it wont make your audience comfortable, since they will hear your FOH tone.

You have to create your presets for FOH/CLR. That needs some time. LIVE sound is not plug and play.

If you want to compete with real amp + 412 cab at practice, you need to add a sub to your rig.

imho. Huge difference!

tone didn't suck it was actually pretty good, (I used 3 plexi patches and 2 Friedman BE patches) it just felt completely sterile and fake.
when I was noodling around by myself between songs I really liked it (like playing at home alone), when the full band was playing
I just felt completely dis connected from my guitar.
I know a lot of guys here constantly put the audience first, but if my rig is having a negative impact on my playing
then the audience is not going to be hearing anything good anyway, no matter how processed or "captured" the sound is.
and I was competing with a 2X12 not a 4X12, when I plugged in and starting playing through the 4X12 instead of the CLR then
all was good.

I only use my FR's for tone creation at home. I go back and fourth between those, and several different sets of headphones. I'm not happy till it sounds good through all of my devices. Live we've gone total in-ear. I've never gotten a complaint about my playing.

As far as my tone... At shows, before we go on, the guys in the other bands are always telling me how awesome their own rig is, and tell me things like "when you finally decide settle on some REAL gear, you should totally check out [your brand here]", and "how they've never heard anything better." I just nod my head, and listen. After we play, all they want to do is talk about the Axe-FX. I send them here. :D

I never understood playing without monitors. This includes rehearsals. I come from the school of "you should rehearse the same way you perform"... and that means using monitors, not amps filling the stage, or the jam room.

At any rate, I hope you are wearing ear protection.

oh ya I've got tinnitus in my right ear (from something not guitar related) I always wear plugs.
my drummer on the other hand is going to go deaf LOL!

well....sounds like you did everything you could to bond with it. FRFR is not for everyone....
Agree here. If you need to plaster folks to the wall with a 4x12, then that's that. I'd get two, and a Matrix 1600, and you will not hear their opinions. :)

funny thing is I play through a 2X12 and so does the other guitarist, we don't really play all that loud
it's not metal is rocking blues.
I am very conscious of keeping the rehearsal volume manageable, it was much more of a "feel" thing for me than anything else.
the entire time I was playing through the wedge I felt like I was listening to someone else playing.
Absolutely zero connection with my guitar->rig, it actually took me completely by surprise, because when I play at home alone
I have not really experienced that "lack of ..well anything" since around FW6.0, and I am playing a lot of lead with this band so that "connection" is something I seriously need. It messed me up today my playing was really off :(

this has always been an apples vs bananas dilemma IMO. Running a modeler into a FRFR speaker that is essentially a PA speaker, designed and built with very specific technical considerations in mind - as opposed to those of a bona fide guitar cabinet - will obviously yield a different type of result (than that of a guitar cabinet) that some will love, some will hate, some will develop a taste for, and some will adapt to, etc. Whereas the CLR attempts to limit cabinet imperfections, traditional guitar cabs sort of embrace those imperfections as part of the overall experience of playing a guitar thru an amp...naturally. By definition, the two types of cabinets will have stark differences in the way sound projects. Not rocket surgery.

I say, "play what you like, like what you use", and get on with life. Good news for anyone who finds that place. Enough analysis. More making music.

If your bandmates like the cab better... use it. One thing you want out of a band is to inspire and be inspired. Maybe it's not the tone per say but the way it fills the room.

If your bandmates like the cab better... use it. One thing you want out of a band is to inspire and be inspired. Maybe it's not the tone per say but the way it fills the room.

yeah, but are you playing for an audience of 2 band members, or an audience of _________ who paid a cover ?

This isn't to say a cab can't sound good live, because it can, but I think in this example, there might be some issues with FOH sound, and I'd want to know what the audience thinks of the tone, as much, if not more so, than the bandmates.

Reactions: RDH
Yeah seems really odd that you are having (feel issues) I mean I'm using a EV zlx 12 powered speaker and man my tone is so amazing and I'm sure that has little to do with me and more to do with the Axe. I have no feel issues at all my rig reacts just fine both clean and leads.

Maybe there is some tweaking that could be done to enhance the way your virtual amps reacts? I'm no expert so I can't offer any solutions but I know there are guys on this board who have talked about it I remember reading it before. At any rate just pick up a clean power amp and use the axe through a guitar cab with cab sims off if that makes you happy.

That was really a kind of tongue in cheek answer... although what I meant was in there. No speaker system, no matter how good it is, is going to make the perfect setup for everyone. If you you've given this a decent try, and it seems you have, and like the 2x12 better then you should use it! What matters is what you like, after all.

I bought a powered clr wedge in the summer, instantly hated everything about it. thought about parting with it on several occasions. but held on to it in hopes I could come up with why I hated it. I was used to playing Orange amps through Orange cabs for the last xx number of years. and the clr was just shrill and ear piercing to me. after 8 months or so, I'm finally to a point where I've got it dialled in so that what I want to hear on stage the audience should theoretically hear when I send to FOH.

played my first gig @ Lee's Palace in Toronto with it last weekend, sound guy said I it was ridiculous trying to go direct with a guitar, threw his arms up and said I don't; care if you;re the worst sounding band here tonight, if your little black box was so good, 'THE EDGE' would be using on..haha, I just smiled and said ok, just give me a mic line. anywho got nothing but compliments on our sound, and my stage sound is 99% there from my real amp rig down to touch, response and all the little nuances as to how my real Orange reacts to my playing. who'd a thought?

is he using CLRs with them?

He uses IEM's I believe, and obviously their FOH rig is beyond what anyone who isn't filling stadiums would have access to, so I don't know if what the Edge/U2 use for live sound really applies. I've seen a good number of artist using CLR's though for monitoring, not as many as still use the venue's wedges, but I think more and more people are taking their own monitor, be it a CLR, EV etc, just to have consistency

yeah, but are you playing for an audience of 2 band members, or an audience of _________ who paid a cover ?

This isn't to say a cab can't sound good live, because it can, but I think in this example, there might be some issues with FOH sound, and I'd want to know what the audience thinks of the tone, as much, if not more so, than the bandmates.

This is an interesting point. Some audiences are more discerning than others. I'm not sure if my audiences would even notice half the time. The guitarists in the audience might notice tone and level/blend, but a lot of people just notice the lead singer anyway depending on the audience of course.

I'd say make yourself happy first, your band happy second, and your audience and sound personnel happy third. After all, you and your band need to feel happy and "in sync" to play well together.

BTW, I'm an extremely satisfied/ecstatic CLR user. I personally love using two of them. I love putting them on the floor behind me and a bit to the sides then pointing them up toward my head. One of my bandmates called it headphones on the ground. :) Amazing clarity standing in the sweet spot, and of course stereo effects like chorus sound amazing too that way. I do tend to play clean to slight breakup tones though. For me those clean(ish) tones and lead tones are the easiest ones to get sounding heavenly.

Anyway, I'm rambling. To the OP: These things aren't for everyone, and in a loud band context they are more personal monitors than stage slamming volume machines in my experience. Thank you for turning your experience into a great discussion for all of us. I hope you thoroughly enjoy whatever solution you find for your current band.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom