My favorite amp models [Yek]

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
I keep a collection of simple amp+cab presets, featuring the amps models I like the most.
The presets are attached to this post.

These are simple 3 or 4-block presets. Amp, Cab, hi-quality room reverb, and sometimes a Drive block.

The amp tweaking is "authentic". I tend to stick to the controls present on the original modeled amp.
The preset title indicates when "special" parameters have been adjusted, such as the GEQ or Boost. And "s..." indicates the use of multiple scenes.

Stock cabs only. UltraRes where possible (Cab Pack 6/7 preferred), and HiRes in a couple of cases.
I'm using "high quality" preamp simulation in the Cab block (Tape 50, Drive and Sat at around 0.8), and a default Room Reverb block.

Firmware 17.03 required. The levels are roughly matched.

XL owners: use the presets in this zipped file.

Mk I/II-owners: use these presets, created by Johan Allard, based on this spreadsheet.

list.png

Last edited:
Nice, looking forward to having a play tomorrow. Thanks Yek!

Still very much contemplating getting a MMGT, your recent picture has only further fuelled my GAS :)

Reactions: yek
Good choice of favorites! We're pretty much on the same page, there. The only one I was surprised you didn't have in the basket was the Gibson Scout - great little retro amp, along with the Supro (which you do have in there). Other than that, I think our favorites selection was about identical.

Thanks! :encouragement:

The Scout isn't in there, because I think the Nuclear is similar but better.

Swart website (Nuclear = Swart Atomic Space Tone):

"The idea of the Atomic Space Tone hit me when I was working on a vintage Gibson Scout guitar amp. It had Reverb, Tremolo, and 15 watts of pure rocking vintage tone power but only three preamp tubes and two EL-84 output tubes. I thought to my self - I have never seen an amp that could do so much with so little and sound surprisingly good. But I knew it could be even better. I knew something could be built revolving around my favorite little tone generator, the 6V6. I sent a note of thanks to my cohort for the inspiration for one of the best amplifiers I have ever built and the only thing I have found to equal the soul and amazing tone of the ST-6V6se but with MORE power"

Just reading through that list of amps I thought to myself "that's everything, what else could you possibly want?". Then I realize this is about 1/3 of the amps we have available. These presets are the first thing going into that XL as soon as it arrives.

Thx yek!

Yes, they are for the XL.
Wish I could provide Mk I/II presets for you, but at this time there is no way.

Thanks for the list, and yes, indeed-y, that Nuclear (Swart AST) is sweet-y! I've never even given that amp more than a passing thought, until your mention just now. No reason, just seems like I missed it; frankly, I think i assumed it was more in the high-gain metal camp, with a name like "Nuclear". It has swapped places in my favorite amps list with the Scout; the Scout's still there, but lower down the list. After listening to them back-to-back, the Nuclear is more of the tone I had in my head, when I set the Scout there. And anytime Greg V's demoing an amp (like on the Swart website), I'm pretty much a bee drawn to honey.

I appreciate the heads up, and the list. I'm still on a II, so I can't use the XL patches, but no doubt they are wonderful for many here. You da' MAN!

Friedman BE and Morgan are my mainstay amp models. I stick to these models in all my regular presets.

And there are some 'favorites among the favorites', some of which aren't mentioned that often on the forum. The Ruby Rocket for example, which is my Vox tone choice, together with the Morgan (and Matchless DC-30). Peavy 6505 for high gain, it's so chewy. The Divided by 13 FTR's raw filthy tone when pushed into distortion. The Two-Rock Jet 35, and the Ojai in Santana-style, for leads.

Last edited:
I'm still on a II, so I can't use the XL patches, but no doubt they are wonderful for many here. You da' MAN!

It wouldn't be that much work for me to post settings, because they are simple.
But I don't think that players are going to dial in things manually. Presets are so much easier.

I would very much like to see a Mk I/II <> XL conversion possibility.

Last edited:
But I don't think that players are going to dial in things manually. Presets are so much easier.

I would very much like to see a Mk I/III <> XL conversion possibility.

I agree - a conversion software would be handy, but not really necessary. I'd love to see one, for reference, but not so much to mooch everyone's presets.

Mostly I only d/l other's presets to see what everyone else is doing; I still wind up setting them up for myself, using my own ears. I like to see how various problems are solved, by looking at other's presets.

I very rarely d/l anyone else's presets that I keep stock. Even the factory presets are mostly for "reference" for me, to be sure I'm not getting too off base. They help me to stay "schooled", to bring me back to earth. I do often eventually wind up getting back somewhat to the Default settings for many of the Blocks, I've found, as the firmware continues to improve. It seems like every time I think Cliff and Crew have finally wrung the last little bit of perfection out of most of the unit, they hit it out of the park, again. It's a little easier to get back to home base, if my presets are near the Default settings.

I would very much like to see a Mk I/III <> XL conversion possibility.

Yek, I really respect you and appreciate all the work you've done on the Effects Thread, Wiki, Presets etc. I'm on a II, and would definitely take the time to dial in manually if you post settings! Seems like a lot of work on your part, so I'd understand not doing it too.

But I'd work up your presets if they were available![emoji3]

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom