4U Rack Case with wheels?

rossc1995

I'm looking for a 4U rack mount case to house my XL and Matrix Poweramp but preferably one that I can wheel around like a suitcase :) I found a Gator case that does just that but it appears to be too shallow to house an Axe-FX :/

Has anyone got any recommendations? My price range is something around £80 ($130)

Cheers

i use the RLX from SKB. they have a 2, 3, 4 and 5. i don't think it's in that price range though.

gator also has one with power built in, so it's a 4 space + power.

Mine's (a 6u because I wanted my connection panel in the front) made by SKB, was pretty reasonable, I think $200 or so from Guitar Center, plenty big enough for the Axe-FX and assorted cables, connectors, etc inside. Built plenty sturdy too.

how is it more versatile? just wondering if i'm missing out on something.

A roll-around luggage cart can carry a number of different things, while a roll-around 4U case is simply a roll-around 4U case. Plus, you can remove the rack from its transport if you want to stack it on something. Finally, the wheels on many luggage carts are larger than what you see on small rolling racks, so the payload doesn't take as much of a beating. It's all small stuff, but it's something to consider.

oh. i see :)

i use a rolling rack, but i rack my things upsidedown, so when i put the rack down and my gear is facing the correct way, the wheels on the rolling rack are on the top - this provides a flat bottom.

i have a hard bag for my mfc and that goes on the "top" when i'm rolling the rack around, so it's all stacked, guitar on my back.

i've seen small carts like that actually break because they weren't meant to handle 50+ pound rack cases - cable weight adds up really quickly!

if i'm walking pretty far, i bring out my huge rock n roller cart hehe. but for most trips from the car to the gig, the rolling case works fine for me.

either way, definitely have some sort of cart handy just in case!

You're right in that many of those little fold-up luggage carriers aren't very robust. Some of them aren't made of much more than heavy-gauge wire. Back when I travelled a lot, I went through a number of them before I finally found one that would take the rigors of the road. The one I linked to above may not be the right unit, but I listed it mainly as an example of what I'm talking about, not as a particular model/mfr recommendation. There are a lotta manufacturers of such things - a little Google work would probably turn up something more suitable.

You're right in that many of those little fold-up luggage carriers aren't very robust. Some of them aren't made of much more than heavy-gauge wire. Back when I travelled a lot, I went through a number of them before I finally found one that would take the rigors of the road. The one I linked to above may not be the right unit, but I listed it mainly as an example of what I'm talking about, not as a particular model/mfr recommendation. There are a lotta manufacturers of such things - a little Google work would probably turn up something more suitable.

yup yup, just a heads up i guess :)

i've used that SKB r4w line, and if the case is heavy and placed down on the ground on the corner of the cover, the plastic handle will snap right off. that was when they first made the line, maybe they fixed it? but it doesn't look like it from the picture.

i'm actually using the gator you mention right now, 6u. but i have the skb RLX line 3 and 5 ready to go too.

i've used that SKB r4w line, and if the case is heavy and placed down on the ground on the corner of the cover, the plastic handle will snap right off. that was when they first made the line, maybe they fixed it? but it doesn't look like it from the picture.

I thought the roto molded SKBs were totally revamped but I don't know. I feel like we've had this discussion before... :0)

That's the same one I linked to on the Gator site but note that GC lists internal depth incorrectly. Nevertheless, the AxeFits.
DOH, my bad, I linked the wrong one, I have the SKB, I'll actually take a pic of it tomorrow to rectify any confusion I've caused. ;)

Sorry bout that.
Anyway, my only real gripe is that the door on the back is a little flimsy, it's not a proper 'rack' door, but since I moved my connection panel to the front, the only reason I had to open it at all was for the initial wiring, so it's not really a big deal. I put a bit of weatherstripping around the inside of the door and it rattles no longer.

I am using this SKB one: 4U Roll-X Rack Case | SKB Music / ProAV Its very good the only complain I have is that I can't fit my MFC-101 inside since the MFC-101 takes more than a 2U space (it's higher). If I was on the market again I would buy a 5U or bigger so I could store everything on it. But I am happy and recommend to you the SKB rolling cases with confidence. I hope it helps. (I play at home everyday and gig at least twice a week)

One more vote here for the Gator 4U case, I use it with my Axe, and it fits with room to spare in the back. I also have a power conditioner above and a patch panel from Vafam underneath so the back stays shut.

I have a SKB 6 space with wheels and handle that fit the axe, a power conditioner and a 3 space rack drawer that holds the pedalboard, 3 expression pedals, 2 switch pedals and my wireless receiver. So my whole rig is in one case.

Im thinking about an SKB 8U Roto Rack... seems like a new design 17" internal front-to-back space sounds ideal for an Axe-FX II. I can't post URLs yet but Musicians Friend has it listed.

Back
Top Bottom