What's your guilty pleasure?

That guy who sings for Gloryhammer looks like the guy who ran the Cleric in my old high school D&D campaign. They're supposed to be parody, but they're so close to something like Rhapsody that its pretty funny.

Yeah, power metal is definitely a guilty pleasure of mine. Rhapsody are excellent musicians, but it's high on the cheese factor. Their albums have pull out maps and storylines that probably come from their Sunday afternoon Rolemaster campaign.

Somtimes I've got to blast some Rhapsody, though. Dragonforce, too.

Though for ultimate cheese, you can't forget Manowar. Titans of bad album covers:

cover-manowar-anthology.jpg

Cant help it but i love this song

Really feel better now ist out in the open.
Ataris cover is also awsome.

That guy who sings for Gloryhammer looks like the guy who ran the Cleric in my old high school D&D campaign. They're supposed to be parody, but they're so close to something like Rhapsody that its pretty funny.

Yeah, power metal is definitely a guilty pleasure of mine. Rhapsody are excellent musicians, but it's high on the cheese factor. Their albums have pull out maps and storylines that probably come from their Sunday afternoon Rolemaster campaign.

Though for ultimate cheese, you can't forget Manowar. Titans of bad album covers:

You don't just like that album for the music, do ya? ;)

They look very.... Uhm.... Oily?

I remember first hearing 'power metal' in the 90s, and I was all....what the fuck is that? Power is fucking Pantera. RAAOOOWWRRRR.

cover-manowar-anthology.jpg

Oh maaaaan... I get a "look-a-like" contest coming on...

From left to right
1. Steve Vais brother Arnold "acid" Vai
2. Cant think of one, please help
3. John Travoltas brother, Pete "pump" travolta
4. Lemmy Kilmisters brother, Isac "iron" Kilmister

2 - Nigel Tufnell's bro - Dave 'but these go up to 11' Tufnell

when Manowar retire and look back at their album covers
would they take pride in looking that gay??

So... I just saw Gloryhammer last night and I thought I'd resurrect this thread to say this: They Effing rocked!

Support was by Gueensland's Largerstein, who played really fun Pirate Metal in full costume and drank boggling amounts of alcohol on stage and never broke character. Gloryhammer was pretty high on the cheese factor, but in a very entertaining way. Even some of the audience turned up in leather armour and unicorn suits (!). But all the cheesy fun would have been pretty lame if the music wasn't tight and the solos ripping. Fortunately they played and sang their butts off. Even my wife, who is not a metal fan, got in to the totally epic fun.

Most fun I have had in ages! Did I mention it was fun?

Connie Francis

And "Secret Agent Man"...I love that tune...

Secret Agent Man was Johnny Rivers, IIRC. He was the cousin of my friend up the street. Also one of the first songs I learned to play on guitar! Right up there with the 'Batman theme' (from the TV show). Good times!

Oh maaaaan... I get a "look-a-like" contest coming on...

From left to right
1. Steve Vais brother Arnold "acid" Vai
2. Cant think of one, please help
3. John Travoltas brother, Pete "pump" travolta
4. Lemmy Kilmisters brother, Isac "iron" Kilmister

2. Bruce dickensons younger brother....dick dickenson.

My guilty pleasure is 80's hair band ballads.

If you wouldn't feel comfortable cranking it up with the car windows rolled down, then it's probably a guilty pleasure. I take back Loverboy :lol

Wow! Good question. I have no musical shame though so it's hard to think of something that's guilty.....

Lorde, Lady Gaga, Tesla (although just their acoustic album), U2, Metallica (some would say), Oasis, Michael Jackson, David Bowie, Stevie Wonder, Nina Simone, Ol' Blue Eyes (well, the whole Rat Pack really.....), Placebo, Queen, Abba, Kings Of Leon (although not all their albums...... they're subject to the same pop law as everyone else ["Given a long enough timescale, every pop band will eventually turn into U2" - Big D's Law]), Coldplay (first three albums... after that they became subject to Big D's law also), Old Bon Jovi..... I'm sure there are others! :D

Back
Top Bottom