IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
Thanks for your answer. Yes, I think firmware is the problem here because I´m on 21.04. Maybe I should give a try to latest beta.:)
You can always go back.

IMPORTANT: Do a full backup before installing the beta, since as noted, if you do decide to go back down later, your presets will be at a newer version and probably won't load.

okay okay y'all have gottaaaa check the 313 captures. i'm such a fangirl for the 313 historically but on this pack they're just completely unreal. they're all superb but 313-2 and -4 are my current favorites as darker/brighter counterparts

okay okay y'all have gottaaaa check the 313 captures. i'm such a fangirl for the 313 historically but on this pack they're just completely unreal. they're all superb but 313-2 and -4 are my current favorites as darker/brighter counterparts
That’s a really cool mic. It’s dual sided, so you can get different frequency responses depending on the side you choose. I also got a new mic preamp for my ribbon mics that has been a game changer for those bad boys.

Big step up on a lot of levels. More balanced and more pleasing sounding overall. It has more note clarity and string definition while still sounding meaty and punchy.
I remember reading (if I remember reading correctly 🙂) that the York cabinet with M65’s was better for edge of breakup tones than the MV30 pack. How would you rate this newest cab pack for edge of breakup American tones and with light drive pedals in front vs the MV30 pack?
I’d know you’re a busy man, but when you get a moment, I’d love to hear your thoughts on that, as well as why the M65 York pack works a little better than the MV30, as you’re very good at articulating these things in a concise manner!

On another note, I also tried out raising the pole pieces on my Friedman Classic humbucker neck pickup, and that helped considerably with the low end build up without having to back the pickup off more and get a weaker signal, so thank you for sharing that as well! I essentially raised the pole pieces, but used the same measurement pre-raising the pole pieces. Fantastic trick!

I remember reading (if I remember reading correctly 🙂) that the York cabinet with M65’s was better for edge of breakup tones than the MV30 pack. How would you rate this newest cab pack for edge of breakup American tones and with light drive pedals in front vs the MV30 pack?
I’d know you’re a busy man, but when you get a moment, I’d love to hear your thoughts on that, as well as why the M65 York pack works a little better than the MV30, as you’re very good at articulating these things in a concise manner!

On another note, I also tried out raising the pole pieces on my Friedman Classic humbucker neck pickup, and that helped considerably with the low end build up without having to back the pickup off more and get a weaker signal, so thank you for sharing that as well! I essentially raised the pole pieces, but used the same measurement pre-raising the pole pieces. Fantastic trick!
I just went through those three cabs for edge of breakup tones. The YORK 212 M65-Cream sounds great for that style since it has a rich midrange with nice top end character and has the tightness that comes from a 2x12. The KW 412 M25-SH actually sounds really good with EOB tones as well. You get more depth and can really hear/feel the resonance of the cab. It sounds fat and clear at the same time. The MRSH 412 MV30-Dual (I used the speaker A option) has more of a presence spike to help more aggressive tones speak in a mix, but I don’t think that character lends itself to EOB tones as much. I had a lot of fun with the YORK M65 and the KW M25 and kept wanting to go back to those two for different reasons.

And I’m glad that pickup trick worked for you! I’ve been doing that since I was 17 and just did it again for a new set of pickups I put in the ‘89 Les Paul Standard that sounds incredible now. The neck pickup is still a little wooly, so I might clip the tone knob for that pickup or swap it out for something else, but the bridge pickup (Suhr Thornbucker II) sounds excellent.

Last edited:
I just went through those three cabs for edge of breakup tones. The YORK 212 M65-Cream sounds great for that style since it has a rich midrange with nice top end character and has the tightness that comes from a 2x12. The KW 412 M25-SH actually sounds really good with EOB tones as well. You get more depth and can really hear/feel the resonance of the cab. It sounds fat and clear at the same time. The MRSH 412 MV30-Dual (I used the speaker A option) has more of a presence spike to help more aggressive tones speak in a mix, but I don’t think that character lends itself to EOB tones as much. I had a lot of fun with the YORK M65 and the KW M25 and kept wanting to go back to those two for different reasons.

And I’m glad that pickup trick worked for you! I’ve been doing that since I was 17 and just did it again for a new set of pickups I put in the ‘89 Les Paul Standard that sounds incredible now. The neck pickup is still a little wooly, so I might clip the tone knob for that pickup or swap it out for something else, but the bridge pickup (Suhr Thornbucker II) sounds excellent.
Out of curiosity, what mixes did you like with each of these, for those edge of breakup tones?

Cool! I still might need to adjust the pole pieces on the friedman neck pickup; it’s a bit wooly too, but overall, I think they're fantastic! I have a thornbucker in my strat build with a split option. That pickup is fantastic too! I’ve also had one in my les paul standard as well and thought it was the best pickup for the guitar. How do you like the thornbucker II in comparison to the regular thornbucker?

Cool! I still might need to adjust the pole pieces on the friedman neck pickup; it’s a bit wooly too, but overall, I think they're fantastic! I have a thornbucker in my strat build with a split option. That pickup is fantastic too! I’ve also had one in my les paul standard as well and thought it was the best pickup for the guitar. How do you like the thornbucker II in comparison to the regular thornbucker?
I have the Thornbucker+ in my Les Paul Custom’s bridge position, so I haven’t tried the standard bridge Thornbucker. I have the Thornbucker II in a Les Paul Standard. It’s a different guitar than the custom (rosewood vs ebony, but they’re both from 1989), but I find the Thornbucker II to be a little hotter with more mids. I like it a lot more than the Tim Shaws I had in it before.

Love it and purchased. 95% of the irs I use or yours. They fit into my presets so well. Thanks,
Thank you so much! I’m really happy to hear you’re liking the new pack. :)

Hi, Justin!
I’m using Axe-FX II. If I choose Hiwatt IRs, for example, should I change the impedance curve and make some other tweaks in the cab section of an amp?
If I should, would you please share these settings?

Hi, Justin!
I’m using Axe-FX II. If I choose Hiwatt IRs, for example, should I change the impedance curve and make some other tweaks in the cab section of an amp?
I haven’t had an Axe-Fx II for quite a while, so I don’t remember what the impedance curve section looks like. I made the Hiwatt pack before I had the gear to measure impedance curves, so I’m not sure what would be a good fit for that cab. I’d just use your ears and tweak the curve if you think it needs it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hi, Justin!
From memory, I don't believe the Axe Fx II had selectable Impedance Curves... But it's been a few years ;)

Correct. The Axe-Fx II has parameters for building a basic speaker impedance curve from scratch, but it doesn't provide the captured impedance curves from actual cabs.
Yeah, that’s why I’d like to set it similar to a Hiwatt cab.

just played this out today on bass. the fullness in the low mids is stunning!! of course it's not as present below 80hz as a bass cab would be but honestly that was not an issue because it sits perfectly in the mix. the voicing is both clear and full bodied; i hear my note choices and articulation come through my monitor powerfully.

Justin, thank you so much once again for all the work and hardware investment that made this possible. this library will be on the first shelf of my toolbox for a long time 💙

Back
Top Bottom