Yet another fan story...

Im no 100% but i hardly belive distributors opening units and changing parts of new units.

Not distributors, distributor. There's only one distributor for all of Europe.

G66 checks all units before sending them out:
We test every single device thoroughly in all its functions before we send it off to a customer. On the Axe-Fx and Ultra we also replace the original fan with one that is almost completely silent and install the latest firmware.

my axe 2 arrived yesterday, great sound! and yes, the fan is loud, not so incredible loud like i thought reading some threads, but it really disturbs me while i work in my control room or i play alone at home...so i contacted G66 for the new fan and already today they are sending me the new one, i will inform you how it works...

The new fan they send is considerably quieter, its speed doesn't fluctuate up and down and the installation is fairly easy (but annoying if you don't have the proper tool for the nuts).

Just don't expect quiet operation even then...

The new fan they send is considerably quieter, its speed doesn't fluctuate up and down and the installation is fairly easy (but annoying if you don't have the proper tool for the nuts).

Just don't expect quiet operation even then...

With you on that one, took me bloody ages to get the nyloc nuts back on to secure the new fan but as you say a bit quieter :0)

This makes me yet more interested in the Noiseblocker fan. Okay to replace the stock fan with it? My stock fan is beyond annoying (to me; likely a *defective* one).

Not sure. AFAIK Fractal has not made mention of the NB fan. Mine is Squealing like a pig now and so Cliff is sending me a new one. I'm loud live player so "fan noise" doesnt matter at the moment. However, when I get a another II for studio use only - I may look at a NB if it is approved by Fractal (of course if the units fan noise is louder than I can stand).

Just got a mail from Sussi (G66) mentioning that I would still need to update my banks as they weren't available yet when my unit shipped it also said the following;

Dear Fresh Axe-Fx II Owner,

We sent your brand-new Axe-Fx II off to you at the end of last week. Your unit is one of the first to use the new, quieter fan and we hope that this will at least go a little way towards making up for the long wait.

Seems they're replacing the fans by quieter ones. I must say its plenty quiet for me; on the other hand it could be that I'm progressively getting more tinitus by playing this fantastic piece of gear at non-healthy volumes :).

I received my Axe II on Jan 15 (shipped to Canada direct from FAS) and I don't find it loud at all. It's as quiet or quieter than my Ultra was and I sure don't hear any speeding up and slowing down that others have noticed. So maybe there is a new fan in these, or maybe I just got lucky.

BTW, my Axe is mounted in a rack in the top slot which may have some impact on the sound but I'm usually playing within 6 feet of the rack and it's definitely not an issue.

jayveekay, have you installed the new fan? which tools are required?
thx

You will need a phillips screwdriver to open the lid and about a 6-7mm wrench for the fan's nuts. That's it. Really.
If you have no wrench, pliers will do. Or really strong fingers.

Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.

Just got a mail from Sussi (G66) mentioning that I would still need to update my banks as they weren't available yet when my unit shipped it also said the following;

Dear Fresh Axe-Fx II Owner,

We sent your brand-new Axe-Fx II off to you at the end of last week. Your unit is one of the first to use the new, quieter fan and we hope that this will at least go a little way towards making up for the long wait.

Seems they're replacing the fans by quieter ones. I must say its plenty quiet for me; on the other hand it could be that I'm progressively getting more tinitus by playing this fantastic piece of gear at non-healthy volumes :).
Any idea of the make/model they are using?

Not sure. AFAIK Fractal has not made mention of the NB fan. Mine is Squealing like a pig now and so Cliff is sending me a new one. I'm loud live player so "fan noise" doesnt matter at the moment. However, when I get a another II for studio use only - I may look at a NB if it is approved by Fractal (of course if the units fan noise is louder than I can stand).
Mine is home studio use only, and my fan is definitely loud, with ugly "overtones." It rips through my brain. And makes me flap.

Mine is home studio use only, and my fan is definitely loud, with ugly "overtones." It rips through my brain. And makes me flap.

Same here. It reminds me of a photocopier or other office machine. Definitely not studio friendly.

I was afraid the fan would be a no-go for me. I really like the Axe but if I hate having it switched on...

Last edited:
I just read a review of the BlackSilentFan that isn't too flattering. I will say that there is only one other review that I found so the sample size is pretty small to draw from.

Now it's only one review and I'm not trying to stir up anything (trust me, I really want this fan to work for the AxeFXII), but I will probably wait and see if anyone runs into an issue on here.

Why is G66 using a fan that hasn't been approved by Cliff? This seems a little weird to me; and risky.
That does seem odd. G66 promised me a replacement as well. Will have to try it - as I've said before, my unit is extremely noisy for a studio piece and quickly becomes very annoying, especially when I'm working something out in my head and nothing is playing. As my unit isn't stacked between power amps / other heat sources, the need for cooling is probably significantly less than the worst case scenario, and thus a less efficient quiet fan should suffice.

My Axe-Fx Standard is pretty much whisper quiet. Uses whatever fan G66 put in it. What I don't understand is why Cliff won't rectify this on new Axe-Fx units built. If people complain about the fan noise then the obvious solution would be to use a different fan and/or run it at a lower speed. The Axe-Fx case could probably easily fit much bigger heatsinks for the processors as well thus reducing the need for a fan even more.

Back
Top Bottom