Yet another fan story...

Nice work! If Cliff would endorse this as a non-warranty voiding mod, I would do it myself as well.

I’m in a 1 room studio as well and using the Axe II as my DAW interface creates some problems with trying to record any vocals with the Axe II on in the same room. Not an issue with guitar via Axe II or any other virtual instruments.

Vents aren't needed. The Axe II draws less than 40 watts, even when it's powering an MFC-101, so it generates way less than 40 watts of heat. That's low enough that the Axe's case can easily dissipate the heat to the surrounding air, without the need for vents.

I think the main issue is CPU temp control unless I am mistaken.
The fan ostensibly blows the hot air away from CPU/heatsinks to be mixed with the other air to keep the CPU from overheating and also move enough air to eventually dissipate as you note, which keeps the case at an acceptable level that does not add to the CPU temp.

Yes, some vents might seem logical, but I am sure that FAS engineered this carefully within CPU heat/temp tolerances based upon the fan they chose.
As long as any fan used keeps it in same range- it will should be fine.

You will know if it is not with reboots from data corruption if it gets too hot per Cliff.

Last edited:
I'm gonna do this, Where can I get one?

I can't seem to find the Fractal Designs or Be Quiet fans in the US. Any ideas where to get one?

Thanks,
CJ

anyone ever think/try using a splitter cable and mounting 2 silent fans in there? I have a silenx in my ultra and now with the II wirring the whole time it's driving me nuts.

Thought about it. I've wondered if the motherboard would be able to handle the power draw. Anyone else?

Thought about it. I've wondered if the motherboard would be able to handle the power draw. Anyone else?

1) The Silenx fans are not well regarded for use in the AXE II.
2) I would not mess with drawing any more power than the regular voltage spec and amperage spec for the stock fan connection indicates.

Just my opinion.

1) The Silenx fans are not well regarded for use in the AXE II.
2) I would not mess with drawing any more power than the regular voltage spec and amperage spec for the stock fan connection indicates.

Just my opinion.

Here's the difference, what's the problem?

Supplied Dynatron DF126015BL

Fan Speed 4000rpm ±10% Low Speed
Fan Airflow 16.00 CFM (at 12V)
Rated Voltage DC 12V, 0.20A
Noise Level 29.60 dBA
Bearing Type Ball
Connector 3 Pin
Dimensions 60x60x15mm
Safty UL, TUV, CE, RoHS

Manufacturer Fractal Design

Model FD-FAN-60
■Dimensions: 60 x 60 x 25mm
■RPM: 3000 +/- 10% RPM
■Noise: 19 dBA
■Airflow: 16,1 CFM, 27 m³/h
■Connection: 3-pin
■Power: 1.68 W+/- 15%
■4pcs metal screws included
■4pcs rubber screws included
■Textile covered electrical cable

I just unboxed mine Saturday, and the fan was stuck against the side, and would not turn.

I assume that the ones that are making the noise are rubbing up against the fan case.

Here's the difference, what's the problem?

Supplied Dynatron DF126015BL

Fan Speed 4000rpm ±10% Low Speed
Fan Airflow 16.00 CFM (at 12V)
Rated Voltage DC 12V, 0.20A
Noise Level 29.60 dBA
Bearing Type Ball
Connector 3 Pin
Dimensions 60x60x15mm
Safty UL, TUV, CE, RoHS

Manufacturer Fractal Design

Model FD-FAN-60
■Dimensions: 60 x 60 x 25mm
■RPM: 3000 +/- 10% RPM
■Noise: 19 dBA
■Airflow: 16,1 CFM, 27 m³/h
■Connection: 3-pin
■Power: 1.68 W+/- 15%
■4pcs metal screws included
■4pcs rubber screws included
■Textile covered electrical cable

I just unboxed mine Saturday, and the fan was stuck against the side, and would not turn.

I assume that the ones that are making the noise are rubbing up against the fan case.

No. The fan noise level has everything to do with the high RPMs of a typical 60mm fan. I am pretty sure that most fans are not dislodged and rubbing against the case as you had yours do so in shipping.

IMO (take it for what it is worth) There is no such thing as a 60mm fan that is both quiet and has sufficient CFM, or as Cliff states linear velocity to also push enough air.

The quieter 60mm fans being mentioned have lower RPM. They will push less air. It is a tradeoff.

The only way to assure that it is doing its job is to check temps.
If your new fan is doing so in your environment, you should be fine- but any change of parts in the unit voids the warranty.

The 60mm Silenx fans are quiet-but the RPM of 1700 are the reason and may not provide the heat discharge required.

No. The fan noise level has everything to do with the high RPMs of a typical 60mm fan. I am pretty sure that most fans are not dislodged and rubbing against the case as you had yours do so in shipping.

IMO (take it for what it is worth) There is no such thing as a 60mm fan that is both quiet and has sufficient CFM, or as Cliff states linear velocity to also push enough air.

The quieter 60mm fans being mentioned have lower RPM. They will push less air. It is a tradeoff.

The only way to assure that it is doing its job is to check temps.
If your new fan is doing so in your environment, you should be fine- but any change of parts in the unit voids the warranty.

The 60mm Silenx fans are quiet-but the RPM of 1700 are the reason and may not provide the heat discharge required.

First, don't make me argue with Cliff, because I'm not. I am only comparing the fan specs. The fans are identical CFM unless the other guys are lying. It draws less current.

Second, I'm not telling anyone to swap fans and void the warranty.

Third, I am not saying that all fans have slipped the axis. I ASSUME that the extremely noisy ones COULD be rubbing. I had this happen on a CPU fan and it eventually wore and the noise went away.

Cheers my friend!

First, don't make me argue with Cliff, because I'm not. I am only comparing the fan specs. The fans are identical CFM unless the other guys are lying. It draws less current.

Second, I'm not telling anyone to swap fans and void the warranty.

Third, I am not saying that all fans have slipped the axis. I ASSUME that the extremely noisy ones COULD be rubbing. I had this happen on a CPU fan and it eventually wore and the noise went away.

Cheers my friend!

Easy tiger.
Not making you argue with anyone unless you like to do that sort of thing...... :)

I can pretty much guarantee you that the stock fan used by FAS pushes more air than any of the quieter alternatives.
It is all about RPM's. Simple laws of physics that cannot be sidestepped.
Get a bigger fan and you can push more air with less noise, but do lose the linear velocity Cliff notes.

My suggestion if you make any change-monitor your temps.

Good luck.

Last edited:
What still get's me is, Cliff being as smart as he is, still didn't fix the fan issue...Most people I know including myself want the studio area silent for many reasons.

...they went with the Hui Tong. I would think they had their reasons and that they were technical rather than cost or availability. So the question is, why did they make the choice that they did? I wonder if there are other reliability issues that we might not be aware of that made them choose the Hui Tong over quieter options. Curious.
IIRC I read a post where Cliff mentioned the reliability of the fan he chose over the others. If the fan fails during a period of extended usage (i.e. onstage where you wouldn't hear it) it could prove to be costly.

Actually, on the no fan option, once it leveled out (about 5 mins) I shut it down. I should have pointed that out. Good catch!

Craig

I'm enjoying reading this thread, but before I continue, thought I'd say that I remember I read the max operating temp of the tigersharc is 85c, so that would be 185 Fahrenheit - is this correct?

IIRC I read a post where Cliff mentioned the reliability of the fan he chose over the others. If the fan fails during a period of extended usage (i.e. onstage where you wouldn't hear it) it could prove to be costly.

Well I guess if my stock noisy ass fan stops working, at least I'll notice it's stopped! haha.

I'm enjoying reading this thread, but before I continue, thought I'd say that I remember I read the max operating temp of the tigersharc is 85c, so that would be 185 Fahrenheit - is this correct?

my point being that the first test mentioned didn't get past 142 Farenheit even with no fan (I assume this test was done with the lid on?), this makes me wonder if passive cooling is possible in the studio just by leaving the lid off or replacing it with a grille

my point being that the first test mentioned didn't get past 142 Farenheit even with no fan (I assume this test was done with the lid on?), this makes me wonder if passive cooling is possible in the studio just by leaving the lid off or replacing it with a grille

All tests were done with the lids on. Of course there a was little cool down when I removed it to take the readings but not much. I took them quick to make sure and did everything twice to verify. I was also going to look into the possibility of finding larger heatsinks or modifying the ones installed with additional piping and going that route but never got around to it. Having too much fun playing and the noise now is very minimal (slight minor little hum but no real fan sound)

Last edited:
if you are worried about the warranty, why not buy a sheet of steel the same size as the lid, and mount a very quiet bigger slower fan with vent holes in it?

Back
Top Bottom