Wish List forum feedback

scarr

Experienced
The main threads are locked so people will read them and not be scared off by pages of follow-up. You can post here to let me know if (after a couple days) I've missed something, or if a topic's votes have significantly changed to where it would warrant additional highlighting, or anything else about this sub-forum.

I think that an important distinction needs to be made: Standard vs Ultra. I believe we Standard owners are in general going to be much more conservative in our 'wishes'. We bought the Standard model, after all, so we want less, or need less, or for whatever reason(s) could not justify spending more for the Ultra. And since the Standard has fewer system resources available we are going to be MUCH more careful and stingy and WORRIED about using them up with effects we'll never or almost never use.

Because of this, I think Standard owners are probably going to vote No more than Ultra owners might. So something that might make sense to go into the Ultra might never get the votes due to Standard owner No's. And/or the opposite can happen, Ultra owners may give the votes for some out-there effects or features that we Standard owners have no interest in giving up system resources for and preventing a future more generally useful effect/feature/upgrade.

Other thoughts/viewpoints?

I can understand the concern, but I suspect some of that will balance out. The rest is the nature of how this should go. Development will more likely go where it is most wanted. That will tend to favour cross-product developments. Any new effects won't end up on the Standard because there isn't any more room. Enhancements to existing effects can though.

Everyone should pick & choose their votes strategically. Voting for everything is as useless as voting for nothing. Vote for the stuff you really want to see in there. If lots of people want something, Standard, Ultra or both, that's what I care about highlighting.

I think voting yes / no for a feature isn't really the way to go. What does yes or no really mean? There is a big difference between "Yes this is the #1 feature I'd like to see" and "Yes I wouldn't mind having this feature even though I'll probably never use it". A single vote (or very limited number of votes) for the features(s) you'd like to see would be better IMO, at least it would keep people from asking for everything.

To be honest I'm a bit uncomfortable with the whole wish list concept, Cliff is already doing so much...

Lars

As I said, people should vote strategically since voting for everything will dilute their vote. When certain features are being highlighted, I'll run occasional "Top 10" polls to see more specifically what people prefer. The main purpose here is to gather ideas and figure out what is popular.

The wish list has existed for ~9.5 months now. Cliff can handle requests as he sees fit; I have no control over that. I'm simply gathering up the forum's opinions. That way the forum has a megaphone for letting him know what we're interested in and Cliff has one easy place to look and find out what we're interested in.

LarsB said:
I think voting yes / no for a feature isn't really the way to go. What does yes or no really mean? [...].
A single vote (or very limited number of votes) for the features(s) you'd like to see would be better IMO, at least it would keep people from asking for everything.

I think the single feature poll is a clever idea. I don't understand what does "A single vote (or very limited number of votes) for the features(s) you'd like to see would be better IMO" means...
I suspect we talk about the same thing in different languages... :lol:

Also, even highly voted features will slip away down the forum if there is no comments about them. Controversial things will have a tendency to stay at the top even if they are not practical ideas.

re: topic changing... might help for scarr (or whoever is admin'ing the Master List) to alter a topic title to denote when it's been added to the Master List
...such as adding an asterisk to the topic name or something.

It does a new wishlist item poster no good to add the asterisk (or whatever) themselves since whoever's updating the Master List will then pass right over it, assuming that it's already in the Master List.

Should make seeking out newer-posted wish list items easier. Rejecting items or closing items that are subsequently implemented in the firmware could still easily be done with locked threads.

java,
The Master List will highlight popular (as in well-supported) topics. Once I start highlighting, I'll probably put a vote count/percentage next to the high ranking items. I think that will keep them from becoming "unnoticed".

godprobe said:
re: topic changing... might help for scarr (or whoever is admin'ing the Master List) to alter a topic title to denote when it's been added to the Master List
...such as adding an asterisk to the topic name or something.

It does a new wishlist item poster no good to add the asterisk (or whatever) themselves since whoever's updating the Master List will then pass right over it, assuming that it's already in the Master List.

Should make seeking out newer-posted wish list items easier. Rejecting items or closing items that are subsequently implemented in the firmware could still easily be done with locked threads.
I get to things decently quickly here (as long as the forum doesn't continually error out). I don't think there's any particular need to mark things that have been noted in the list. (Btw, you can tell in the MASTER list if something is noted here because it doesn't have a vote tally next to it. The vote tallies are from the old forum and I'm eliminating them as threads are added. Oh, and the text will link to the local thread if we have one here.)

I might lock "solved" threads (and will note when items are implemented with version number posts in the thread), but I hesitate to because there could still be related discussion to take place. If a certain feature has been summarily rejected by Cliff (especially if there is a kind of work-around), I might lock the thread then, but those are rare.

Can it be made so that you can reverse a vote? For instance, I voted Yes to the Fuzz Factory yesterday. After reading some of the discussion and thinking about it some more, I would like to vote No (yes, I know I'm fickle).

I should have thought that one through more, but my concern is that as we're discussing it something may come up that changes some people's mind about their vote. We may need a way to address that.

D

Smilzo said:
I suspect we talk about the same thing in different languages... :lol:

No, what I'm talking about is very different.

Now you have one vote for each item. I'm talking about one (or very few) votes for ALL items, forcing you to choose the items that are REALLY valuable to you. It would enforce the strategic voting Scarr is talking about. Not exactly standard forum functionality though...

Lars

dk_ace said:
Can it be made so that you can reverse a vote? For instance, I voted Yes to the Fuzz Factory yesterday. After reading some of the discussion and thinking about it some more, I would like to vote No (yes, I know I'm fickle).

I should have thought that one through more, but my concern is that as we're discussing it something may come up that changes some people's mind about their vote. We may need a way to address that.

D
It's an option per poll. I can change it as needed, if needed. Keep in mind, you don't have to vote immediately, nor vote to participate in the discussion.

Btw, have you ever tried asking that during an election? :p

I'm wondering about the philosophy of the negative vote. I mean: someone may ask for a "hiper-psycotic double frequency spinner disturber" that I know that I'll never use in my life because it produces allergy in my duodenum. But, as far as it's optional, and it doesn't reduce the performance of the Axe-FX, why should I vote "NO"? (unless I'm a simple girl that just wants to keep everything simple) :lol:

BTW:

¡VIVA SCARR! :ugeek:
Great work! :idea:

Voting "no" doesn't mean "oh, dear goodness, no!!!", just that you're not interested in it. I thought it would provide a better sense of how many people are interested in things if people could register that they weren't interested. "15 votes" was hard to place significance to in a forum with over 1k people. "15 out of 20 responders voted 'yes'" suggests 75% of people might be interested in the feature.

(Yes statisticians, I know this isn't a perfect sample set, but it's far better than nothing.)

LarsB said:
To be honest I'm a bit uncomfortable with the whole wish list concept, Cliff is already doing so much...

Lars

A wishlist doesn't necessarilly mean that everything gets or needs to be done. It can also be a good resource for Cliff to see which features customers would like to see in his product and improve it that way. If companies would never listen to the demands or wishes of their customers..half of them would be out of business. An inexpensive way for technical market research...that's how I see this.

Anybody knows of any plugin for phpBB that can limit the amount of votes?

That way, you would be assigned "voting dollars" and you can spend them on the features that you really want (by voting yes) or features you wouldn't want at all (by voting no).

Oh well...

What the bumping policy. The item that are down the list will not get voted on as much as new items and become easily missed. We will start seeing more and more duplicated requests as the thread becomes multipaged.

Again, no brainers will be commented on less and just voted on (until they slip down) and more controversial but maybe less practical suggestions will tend to get commented on more.

We have dozens of items, so there's no way we're going to be able to keep them all on the front page. That's what the master list is for. That is basically how people used to vote in the old threads too. Instead of copying and pasting though, they can just hop into the threads and vote.

I'm discouraging bumping for purely bumping sake. People can add comments to keep things active if they want, but I don't like raw bumps. If it happens more, I'll start deleting them. (Hopefully then the threads will fall back to where they otherwise would be.) I also have no problem with people voting and noting their vote in comment form (which can help keep threads alive). If items are important to people, I assume they will keep voting for them and commenting on them. If they aren't being kept alive, then either people have finished voting, or people are no longer interested.

scarr said:
We have dozens of items, so there's no way we're going to be able to keep them all on the front page. That's what the master list is for. That is basically how people used to vote in the old threads too. Instead of copying and pasting though, they can just hop into the threads and vote.

I'm discouraging bumping for purely bumping sake. People can add comments to keep things active if they want, but I don't like raw bumps. If it happens more, I'll start deleting them. (Hopefully then the threads will fall back to where they otherwise would be.) I also have no problem with people voting and noting their vote in comment form (which can help keep threads alive). If items are important to people, I assume they will keep voting for them and commenting on them. If they aren't being kept alive, then either people have finished voting, or people are no longer interested.

Yeah, that would work. Just a simple. Good idea or Yes in the thread would keep it in it's appropriate place.

For everyone's information, I started highlighting vote tallies in the master list. My very rough guidelines are "Huge" size for 90+% and "Large" for 75+%, with enough votes taken. If there aren't enough votes, I'll leave it normal. If it's below 50%, I'll make it "Small".

There is some fudging room in there based on just how many votes there were and how significant the percentage is. "100% of 13" shows a strong trend, so I'll give it credit. "90% of 13" might only get "Large" status until more votes roll in. The idea is to emphasize ideas that have a certain amount of support. I'm noting the percentages and numbers of votes next to each so that you can make your own assessments of how popular something really is. (Some items have twice the number of votes as other topics, so they're likely more significant to people.) The point is, the data is there for you to interpret yourself.

I'm not going to track all of these, so let me know here if something changes significantly and deserves a reclassification. Also, if your thread isn't noted yet, it's because it's newish and I'm giving it some more time to get eyes on it. If anyone cares, I don't vote myself (or view the results) until I'm about to mark them in the list (that's how I'm keeping track of if I've noted results or not).

Back
Top Bottom