Will there be another far field cab pack?

Lilarcor

Inspired
The title says it all.
I really like the far field pack #2 and i would definitely pay for #3 if it ever came out.

It's on the to-do list.

Cliff, what about non-MP factory cabs?

And if so, would there be a way to replace the MP factory ones with non-MP ones 1-to-1 (thus not requiring user cab slots)? Of course knowing that presets with 2+ cabs would need to be auditioned.

We ran into some hurdles on that one. We needed permission to distribute the IRs as computer files, which would be the only way to get them to you. Some of the providers were cool with this, others not so much.

Last edited:
We ran into some hurdles on that one. We needed permission to distribute the IRs as computer files, which would be the only way to get them to you. Some of the providers were cool with this, others not so much.
Thanks for the response. When you say “IRs as computer files,” are you referring to .syx files?

And if so, would there be a way to replace the MP factory ones with non-MP ones 1-to-1 (thus not requiring user cab slots)? Of course knowing that presets with 2+ cabs would need to be auditioned.
It's funny you ask that because the other day I loaded User 1 and 2 with non-MP versions of the factory cabs. Then I spent about an hour doing blind A/B tests. Now I like to think I have some good ears and I couldn't hear a difference. The waveforms don't even look all that different. Guitar speakers are essentially minimum phase devices so an MP transform has minimal effect.

Then I tried A/B comparisons using mixes. Again I couldn't hear any difference and the takeaway was that non-MP is a pain in the a** because you have to manually align every time you change an IR.

Couldn't you just replace the factory IRs with them and add a MPT switch in the cab block?

No as this would require storing the entire 8K IR.
By 8K you mean sample lenght?
In this case I don't get it, why is that different than loading a raw or auto-trimmed IR in a user cab slot?

If I'm not asking too much 😅

And also we already have an mpt switch in the cab block (sort of): smoothing parameter set to a non 0 value.

Last edited:
By 8K you mean sample lenght?
In this case I don't get it, why is that different than loading a raw or auto-trimmed IR in a user cab slot?

If I'm not asking too much 😅

And also we already have an mpt switch in the cab block (sort of): smoothing parameter set to a non 0 value.

Smoothing (De-Phase) is different from MPT.
It decreases dips and peaks.

Smoothing (De-Phase) is different from MPT.
It decreases dips and peaks.
Yes I know, what I mean is that if you load a non-mpt IR and apply smoothing (even 0.01) the IR gets minimum phase transformed, just look at the align graph and it'll be evident.

Probably the dephase algorithm can't be applied to a raw IR and it automatically applies the MPT as soon as it is turned up

It's funny you ask that because the other day I loaded User 1 and 2 with non-MP versions of the factory cabs. Then I spent about an hour doing blind A/B tests. Now I like to think I have some good ears and I couldn't hear a difference. The waveforms don't even look all that different. Guitar speakers are essentially minimum phase devices so an MP transform has minimal effect.

Then I tried A/B comparisons using mixes. Again I couldn't hear any difference and the takeaway was that non-MP is a pain in the a** because you have to manually align every time you change an IR.
This seems in contrast to what you said here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/non-minimum-phase-irs.146046/#post-1726942

Was there something about the Wellspring session IRs in particular that made MPT more noticeable?

Back
Top Bottom