What Power Amps are everyone using?

I am currently using the Matrix GT800FX with two CFR12s. It is not only a phenomenally light rig, it sounds fantastic too. Last Sunday I was demo-ing the kit and I was getting great feedback from people who were trying it out.

I'll be trying a GT1500FXBD soon so maybe I'll be trying some Wet/Dry/Wet.

I'm using a Mesa 2:100 with four Krank 4x12 cabs and it rocks! I want to try a Matrix but I'm afraid it won't sound as good. I'm tired of the weight. I have to have roadies and I would like to be able to do it myself. Any thoughts on Mesa vs Matrix?

Mesa power amps are infamous for being very active in shaping your tone. In my experience, they add a bit more of their own personality than other tube power amps like the 2/90/2, which does add some but less. The Matrix, meanwhile, is kind of in the middle of the road: many people (myself included) feel it isn't quite as "sterile" as most SS amps, but it also doesn't add it's own personality like a tube amp. You might miss the kick the Mesa gives... but four 4x12s might just make any power amp sound badass!

I'm using a Mesa 2:100 with four Krank 4x12 cabs and it rocks! I want to try a Matrix but I'm afraid it won't sound as good. I'm tired of the weight. I have to have roadies and I would like to be able to do it myself. Any thoughts on Mesa vs Matrix?
You have four 4x12s to carry in and you're tired of the weight of a Mesa 2:100??

I'd be needing a short holiday after the third 4x12 before I'd go back to get the rest of the gear :)

I've got a Mesa 50/50 and a Matrix GT1000 - I've only got conventional cabs at the moment - but will be hunting down a passive FR cab or 2 to use exclusively with the Matrix.

I have to agree with some others' comments here that the tube power amp and conventional cab still has that 'forgiving & complimentary' something in the high mids and highs - but (in the Mesa at least) it isn't an accurate tone as compared to what the Axe is thinking and the whole power stage of the modeled amp is missing so it's a bit of a hybrid amp you hear - nice tho!

So my thought is to try and reproduce as near as possible everything the Axe preset is capable of - and I reckon thats the Matrix and an FR cab job for stage .... if that doesn't work I'm gonna just stick with a set of live presets set up for Mesa and conventional cab via a FXL block - capture a Cab IR of them and use that in OP1 for FOH feed ..... and be done with this madness!

I have a very SIMPLE setup... COPY OUT1->OUT2 is on.
OUT1 goes direct to snake/FOH.
OUT2 goes to Atomic cab for stage monitoring. The cab is either tilted or elevated to point up at me from SIDE. It is NOT used as backline - that's why we have a massive/expensive PA for - amplify the stage sound.
Everything that can go DI goes DI to snake/FOH, as it keeps stage volumes low.
Half of us use stage monitors, the other half are wireless IEM's. Drummer is wired IEM's. We use B*ringers P!6 monitor system fed from console.

Loud stage volumes are unhealthy and can damage your hearing over time, plus it makes the soundguy's job very difficult when the bass/drums/guitars are having stage volume wars. It's a no win situation.
Learn to control stage volume and the whole band will sound much better....

Loud stage volumes are unhealthy and can damage your hearing over time, plus it makes the soundguy's job very difficult when the bass/drums/guitars are having stage volume wars. It's a no win situation.
Learn to control stage volume and the whole band will sound much better....
Hiding the drummers crash cymbals when he goes to squeeze the beer out of his bladder pre first set helps immensely! Those damn things really are dangerous to your ears' high frequencies on small stages ....

<drummerAbuse>We all decided to try and train him to hit them softer in small gigs but discovered tasers aren't legal for the general public in this country.</drummerAbuse>

Atomic 50/50 with two Atomic passive wedges.

This is the set up I have. How do you find it? It's pretty. Loud even with the Atomic on 12 o'clock and Axefx ii on 11 o'clock. I don't understand folks who want to wreck their hearing! Any louder than that is deafening. I find a very authentic tone. Feedback not as forgiving as conventional cabs but standing in front of it in stereo is jaw dropping.

James

I'm thinking FR passive as well and getting the three channel Matrix so I could have a 4x12 behind me and two passives up front and I could control them separately . That would be a bit easier on the back too!

You have four 4x12s to carry in and you're tired of the weight of a Mesa 2:100??

:lol

I'm running my Ultra with a GT800FX and a CL80 loaded 2x12. The Atomic passive wedge has been retired from guitar use (although I'll probably use it at home to monitor if I get back into doing my own stuff), but is now used with the other side of the GT800FX (and the Axe's input/output 2) to run the violinist through. Has been a great unit... sounds great, plenty of volume, 1U and weighs hardly anything, have had no problems with it at all.

Was considering adding another Matrix unit to the rack to give options of running another cab while still being able to do the violin thing, but now it's looking like a possible future job might mean I have to just leave the band entirely anyway.

I'd really like to hear someone do a comparison between the Matrix GT1000FX and the Retro Channel. That Retro Channel really intrigues me with all it's adjustments, and being able to use it stand alone. Maybe Lance will get his hands on a Matrix and give us an A/B (hint) ;)

I use a mesa 20/20 and love it, before that i used a mesa 50/50 which was i also loved.

I tried the matrix 1000 but after 10 days or so returned it. At low volume it was great but at band level it couldn't compete with my mesa to my ears. At higher volumes my mesa has more response to how the guitar was being played softly or hard agressively if you understand, i thought the matrix seemed flat.

Had Art SLA - meh
VHT 2:50:2 - Great but heavey
Matrix GT800 - good, needed a little patch tweeking to get as good as the VHT
Matrix GT1000 - Great.

Weight was actually a more important factor than great tone v good tone - As long as it was at least good.

I know what NewcastleBrown is saying, and he's kind of right - however were talking about how a power amp reacts to guitar nuances - and the AFX should be doing that job not your power amp. I kind of feel if your relying on a power amp to give that response either your patches arnt set up right, your not re-tuning your patches when comparing, or the AFX actually isnt for you in the first place.

That said - ultimately its what makes you happy - whatever that rig ends up being. Its all good.

I agree, If using the Axe-Fx II you shouldn't need to rely on a seperate power amp to 'add' tone to your signal. Thats what makes the Matrix work so well in this setup, it just makes your existing signal louder. The power amp sims within the Axe-Fx should take care of the rest if tweaked right. I had been lugging a VHT around for years before I realised this.

I initially found the VHT had added a sort of 'sweetness' across the midrange that the Matrix didn't. Simple solution: Dial it into the Axe-Fx using the Sag & Master etc, Job done.

Back
Top Bottom