Vegas Sphere

Yeah, count me out, as amazing as I'm sure it is.

I used to be one of the guys climbing around in the lighting trusses 40' off the ground, carrying and placing heavy stuff.
These days, a bunch of decades later, for reasons I don't know, I'm not exactly dizzy, but for sure quite uncomfortable, the word would probably be somewhat "scared", in places that aren't objectively scary or risky at all, they just evoke height in some way.

I push through it in some situations, and just back away in others.
When I push through, all I feel is relief when it's over.
It doesn't somehow immunize me for the rest of the journey, much less next time.
I hate it, but it is what it is, so I pick my journeys accordingly.

Ahhh interesting, but not surprising, responses to the question of getting dizzy/vertigo/sick in the Sphere.

There are very good tips there in your post @Toopy14. I've been in stadiums way up in the nosebleeds and even the stairs can be steep and disorientating like a couple of posts have indicated. A few wobbly-pops don't help there either lol.

Ahhh interesting, but not surprising, responses to the question of getting dizzy/vertigo/sick in the Sphere.

There are very good tips there in your post @Toopy14. I've been in stadiums way up in the nosebleeds and even the stairs can be steep and disorientating like a couple of posts have indicated. A few wobbly-pops don't help there either lol.
The upper level stairs of the Rogers Centre (SkyDome), in Toronto, are very steep and disorienting if you don’t look down and focus on where you step.

The upper level stairs of the Rogers Centre (SkyDome), in Toronto, are very steep and disorienting if you don’t look down and focus on where you step.

Ahhh I've been on that upper deck of the Skydome several times and yea, man, I find it very disorienting for sure. It's the first place I thought of when reading this thread and all of the vertigo, etc.

Ahhh I've been on that upper deck of the Skydome several times and yea, man, I find it very disorienting for sure. It's the first place I thought of when reading this thread and all of the vertigo, etc.
First time I was in the upper level, the last row near the roof, was in 1992. If I recall, it was when the Jays clinched the division. Aside from the height and steep stairs, the roof was closed and the crowd noise was deafening.

Not a great stadium for concerts, lots of reverb and echo. I’ve seen U2 there, during the PopMart, 360 and JT2015 tours. The JT tour sound wasn’t too bad, likely because of where I was sitting. I saw Fleetwood Mac there, back in the late 80’s and they had a big curtain hanging from the rafters to try and deaden the sound. Seemed to do the trick, the concert was great.

First time I was in the upper level, the last row near the roof, was in 1992. If I recall, it was when the Jays clinched the division. Aside from the height and steep stairs, the roof was closed and the crowd noise was deafening.

Not a great stadium for concerts, lots of reverb and echo. I’ve seen U2 there, during the PopMart, 360 and JT2015 tours. The JT tour sound wasn’t too bad, likely because of where I was sitting. I saw Fleetwood Mac there, back in the late 80’s and they had a big curtain hanging from the rafters to try and deaden the sound. Seemed to do the trick, the concert was great.

I've seen a few shows at the Skydome in the late 80's (Jeff Beck/Stevie Ray Vaughn/Jeff Healey, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney) and I can remember how everybody was going mental saying the Stones and Beatle Paul were going to sound super-horrible in there, etc. etc. for months leading up to that.

The summer before the Rolling Stones played in December 1989 their sound guy actually came up to see the venue and see if he could dispel any concerns. I remember him stating "no, this won't be a problem", as simple as that, and indeed it wasn't, nor for Paul three nights later.

They both sounded stellar...no complaints here and I had less then ideal seats for Paul. "Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight / The End" from that December Paul show made it onto one of his live albums (I can hear myself screaming on it lol).

What a great run that week was, the Stones on the Monday, Paul McCartney's first tour in 13 years on the Thursday following...where he played Beatles stuff like "Eleanor Rigby" and "Sgt. Pepper" live for the first time ever.....man what memories there.

When Beck/Vaughn/Healey played they also cut the venue way down with that curtain; I wasn't thrilled with the sound but it was "ok"...sounded more then good enough for Beck, Bozzio, and Hymas to blow my mind, along with the other guys.

I've seen a few shows at the Skydome in the late 80's (Jeff Beck/Stevie Ray Vaughn/Jeff Healey, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney) and I can remember how everybody was going mental saying the Stones and Beatle Paul were going to sound super-horrible in there, etc. etc. for months leading up to that.
I walked out of a Depeche Mode show at the Skydome it sounded so bad. It was like they brought a PA for a 500 person club. Early 2000s….

I walked out of a Depeche Mode show at the Skydome it sounded so bad. It was like they brought a PA for a 500 person club. Early 2000s….

Now that's a bummer indeed, and it must have been pretty bad to totally skip out on. By that time you'd think the bands/venue would have the sound logistics worked out but....

Back
Top Bottom