Total Fresh Setup when FW11 comes around the corner

GibsonLesPaul

Experienced
I don't know what you do, but as soon as FW11 is out I want to do a total fresh setup on my Axe.
Wanna start new with this great FW since it seems this one is a keeper and cannot imagine a better FW soon.

Besides that Cliff goes on holiday after that so there will be nothing new around the corner......(or does he carry his laptop to the beach in case a clock hits him again :roll.... with Cliff you never know for sure if new releases end for a while :D)

Anyway I want to be sure that I deleted any "flaws" Axe Edit has done to my Axe at the time I wasn't aware of the bugs in it.
Any link to a step by step basic guide with an Axe "out of the box"?
Including system reset, global params, I/O etc. etc.

Last edited:
I plan on the clean slate approach as well.

My next gig is not until the 13th and I only use 5 presets.

Few gremlins have creeped into my presets and I need to flush them out.

I don't know what you do, but as soon as FW11 is out I want to do a total fresh setup on my Axe.
Wanna start new with this great FW since it seems this one is a keeper and cannot imagine a better FW soon.

Besides that Cliff goes on holiday after that so there will be nothing new around the corner......(or does he carry his laptop to the beach in case a clock hits him again :roll.... with Cliff you never know for sure if new releases end for a while :D)

Anyway I want to be sure that I deleted any "flaws" Axe Edit has done to my Axe at the time I wasn't aware of the bugs in it.
Any link to a step by step basic setup with a Axe "out of the box"?
Including system reset etc, global params, I/O etc. etc.

I don't think you really need to do that; just change out the amp type in the amp block and then change back and you are good to go. It resets everything quite efficiently.

That said, I reworked all my presets after doing about a half dozen consulting jobs setting up other guy's Axe_FX rigs and learning some new cool things that I'd never have imagined before by being forced to work outside of my normal 'personal' comfort zone because different guys want totally different things. ie. I had to come up with a workable talkbox emulation using the Formant block and that ended up being cool so I worked it into my own preset routing.

I don't think you really need to do that; just change out the amp type in the amp block and then change back and you are good to go. It resets everything quite efficiently.

That said, I reworked all my presets after doing about a half dozen consulting jobs setting up other guy's Axe_FX rigs and learning some new cool things that I'd never have imagined before by being forced to work outside of my normal 'personal' comfort zone because different guys want totally different things. ie. I had to come up with a workable talkbox emulation using the Formant block and that ended up being cool so I worked it into my own preset routing.

Tell us when you do an European consulting tour ;)

OT: do you say that any "AE Gremlins" only touched the amp blocks?
And afaik FW11 comes with an All Amp Bank so those presets will be fresh anyway, so that would justify that a clean reset is not necessary.
Pls. Clarify?

I might very well do the same thing, but mostly just to really get my Axe-fx II organized. Like:

0-19 all clean patches, going vintage to modern
20-39 mid gain to crunchy rock
40-60 high gain

And then get all my user cabs in order too. Right now it's kind of a mess, and I can always back up patches that I like now. I don't really mind putting in a day or two of work to get things back on track.

I might very well do the same thing, but mostly just to really get my Axe-fx II organized. Like:

40-60 high gain

And then get all my user cabs in order too. Right now it's kind of a mess, and I can always back up patches that I like now. I don't really mind putting in a day or two of work to get things back on track.

Exact, another reason to start fresh. Organize the "mess" that has built up since I tried a lot of different things last months.
Organize it with the experience I have in mind now and clean up my patchbanks.
Besides having (many) presets with high gain stuff, I also want to create f.e. patch 151-155 with different beautiful clean presets I have seen around here, combined with scenes on them to add some more grit.
And 5 presets dedicated for my acoustic.

Same here! My User cab blocks are one big mess. That has been the price of trying all kind of IR's. Plus AE have messed those blocks too. So there is going to be a cleaning day waiting for me.

I am starting fresh as well.

Like some folks I only have 3-5 presets that are my bread n' butter. I don't go nuts with routing and efx either so I can clean slate without any gnashing.

Yep

Nothing wrong with a little house cleaning and reorganization

Even though I have 5 basic presets I have them tweaked a little differently for guitar type and output device
'
Banks
1-5 Humbucker - FRFR
6-10 HUMBUCKER - REAL CAB
11-15 - single coil - FRFR
16- 20 single coil - REAL CAB

I hope 11 and AE3 drop tonight -- I am having knee surgery next week and would like to at least get started with a clear head and "drug free" LOL

'

40-60 high gain

Man, teaching something to somebody always seems to do that for me too, I always learn something myself. Holds for true for other things besides guitar noise makers too.

A system reset before updating. and then an amp reset (either hitting bypass twice or switching amp type once and then back) for every preset will leave you in clean neutral territory.

I do this every update - I just can't help myself.

For me it's the only downside to owing an AxFX2: whenever a new firmware is on the horizon I put off all tweaking until the new firmware is out - the 'problem' is with this approach is that it leads to an almost perpetual state of limbo!

I think once V.11 hits along with AE3 I will change this approach and regard it more as the finished product.

Who am I kidding :)

Should i spend some quality time with FW 10.12 before updating to FW 11? i guess that way i will appreciate more the differences right?

By the time FW11 comes out i will be receiving my Axe FX II so i will have the choice to go strait to FW11 or not...

What do you recommend guys?

A system reset before updating. and then an amp reset (either hitting bypass twice or switching amp type once and then back) for every preset will leave you in clean neutral territory.

FYI, hitting bypass twice will reintialize all settings in the amp block. Switching amp type once and then back resets the amp. I have seen Cliff state that only the later is required, if at all.

Should i spend some quality time with FW 10.12 before updating to FW 11? i guess that way i will appreciate more the differences right?

By the time FW11 comes out i will be receiving my Axe FX II so i will have the choice to go strait to FW11 or not...

What do you recommend guys?

I'm using FW 11 beta and it is way better than 10 ... just go straight to 11 and then ride the wave. Update early and often, and stay close to the heart beat.

Tell us when you do an European consulting tour ;)

OT: do you say that any "AE Gremlins" only touched the amp blocks?
And afaik FW11 comes with an All Amp Bank so those presets will be fresh anyway, so that would justify that a clean reset is not necessary.
Pls. Clarify?

There are no AE Gremlins in v3.0. It's going to be a revelation for people, it is rock solid software. The look is somewhat similar to the older version; but nothing under the hood was carried over. It's 100% solid, built from the ground up software.

FW11 will have all new V.11 factory banks; A, B & C are redone for v.11.

I did not do a 'clean reset' and have been pounding my Axe-FX II with beta testing every version of the beta daily. No corrupted presets to report. Not one.

There are no AE Gremlins in v3.0. It's going to be a revelation for people, it is rock solid software. The look is somewhat similar to the older version; but nothing under the hood was carried over. It's 100% solid, built from the ground up software.

I did not do a 'clean reset' and have been pounding my Axe-FX II with beta testing every version of the beta daily. No corrupted presets to report. Not one.

Gremlins??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=D1xqrdtJs8w#t=192

well this sure make my mind go strait to FW11 then!

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom