The Ferrari of Axe-Fx editors: iPad w/ Lemur

Got it working. This is fantastic. Kudos to all you developers! Does it do Expression Pedals and Switches too? Only asking to see if I'm missing it . WOW!

Got it working. This is fantastic. Kudos to all you developers! Does it do Expression Pedals and Switches too? Only asking to see if I'm missing it . WOW!
Another user sees the light. Glad you like it.

The iPad editor edits blocks in the axe-fx layout page. For remote control, use the axe-fx to set that up.

The idea with the iPad editor is you do your basic routing and remote control setup on the axe-fx (or axe-edit) and then you do all your block tweaking with the iPad editor.

Axe-Fx connected to Mac 10.7.3 computer with standard USB cable
iPad connected to Mac wireless
Free Lemur editor downloaded and installed
Power up Axe-Fx
Launch Lemur Daemon on Mac (inside Lemur editor folder)
Launch Lemur on iPad, tap setup "gear" in upper right
Load Scrutinizer's V7 template (link is in OP)
Tap midi targets "from": select Mac MIDI Out, Tap midi targets "to": select Mac MIDI In

I'm trying to get Lemur going - close but not full communication yet. I'm connected via my home network (Mac wired to the router, iPad connecting wirelessly). So far I loaded the Editor onto my Mac and loaded the template to Lemur on the iPad. That worked fine and the iPad and Mac connected automatically somehow to do that. When setting up Lemur on the iPad in the Gear menu, when I go to select the midi targets, my Mac computer shows up, but no ports are available to select. Is there something I need to do to enable the MIDI ports from the Mac to appear?

No experience on the Mac but on tht PC you have to configure the Daemon to open ports and select the midi in-outs for the Axe II.
I explained what I did on the PC in this thread post #29...
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/other-midi-controllers/54136-axe-lemur-ready-beta-testers.html

Thanks - I was able to get it working after a bit. It seems that sometimes one of the Axe MIDI ports doesn't initialize for the Lemur Demon. Some starting/restarting of the Axe and apps fixes it at some point. I'll check things out now! Thanks for the help.

We should compile user-verified, non-buggy, working connection scenarios.
Describe your connection scenario and how it's connected.

Working for me:
Axe-Fx connected to Mac 10.7.3 computer with standard USB cable
iPad connected to Mac wireless
Free Lemur editor downloaded and installed
Power up Axe-Fx
Launch Lemur Daemon on Mac (inside Lemur editor folder)
Launch Lemur on iPad, tap setup "gear" in upper right
Load Scrutinizer's V7 template (link is in OP)
Tap midi targets "from": select Mac MIDI Out, Tap midi targets "to": select Mac MIDI In

Rare bug:
MIDI Targets "To" stops sending changes to the Axe-Fx. I hear it, tap the gear, and the MIDI Targets "to" shows no outgoing connection. I tap, re-select MIDI in, and works great. Happens rarely.

Hi Solo-Act....thanks for the info!

Just curious how Lemur is supposed to function as far as pulling in the Axe FX II data? I have installed the Lemur Daemon, I have my Mac connected to the Axe via usb and have setup a wifi network on my Mac that my iPad is connected to. I have setup the midi targets and seem to have some functionality.

What I am wondering is....is Lemur supposed to pull all preset info etc the way that Axe Edit does? Right now I have to tap the get info button and it seems to load into lemur the one active preset. Nothing shows up in the Lemur template preset page though....

Thanks,
D

Hi Solo-Act....thanks for the info!

Just curious how Lemur is supposed to function as far as pulling in the Axe FX II data? I have installed the Lemur Daemon, I have my Mac connected to the Axe via usb and have setup a wifi network on my Mac that my iPad is connected to. I have setup the midi targets and seem to have some functionality.

What I am wondering is....is Lemur supposed to pull all preset info etc the way that Axe Edit does? Right now I have to tap the get info button and it seems to load into lemur the one active preset. Nothing shows up in the Lemur template preset page though....

Thanks,
D
Touch and hold one of the green buttons at the bottom of the page. The editor will load that block. Or - to load every block, touch and hold the get all button.

Remember...if the tempo button on lower right of the iPad window isnt flashing, u aren't connected. If no connection you won't see anything happen when you press & hold the block buttons.

Thanks Solo-act,

I am connected and the tap in blinking but I am wondering how you are able to get the presets loaded under the first page so that you access to 10 of you favourite presets. Also when I hit the preset up or down button it doesn't go to the next preset number...is it supposed to?

Thanks again :)

D

Thanks Solo-act,

I am connected and the tap in blinking but I am wondering how you are able to get the presets loaded under the first page so that you access to 10 of you favourite presets. Also when I hit the preset up or down button it doesn't go to the next preset number...is it supposed to?

Thanks again :)

D
The Preset Up/Down buttons on the very left side of the Preset page do not send midi.

To the right of the numeric keypad is another set of Up/Down buttons. Use these to go to the next or previous preset.

I made a few diagrams showing how to use the Preset page. See the main Axe For Lemur thread, starting at post #70:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/other-midi-controllers/54136-axe-lemur-ready-beta-testers-4.html

Wow this looks great :D

I've got an iPad 2, got a midi interface for it (iRig), what else do I need ?

Need an editing solution while Axe Edit is out of service

Wow this looks great :D

I've got an iPad 2, got a midi interface for it (iRig), what else do I need ?

Need an editing solution while Axe Edit is out of service
It will be frustrating to use with the MIDI interface. Hardware MIDI is very slow. I am not sure if iRig supports sysex.

MIDI over wifi and/or USB is much faster, and is the preferred connection method.

Save that link below and hit the later pages, or save Scrutinizer's profile and search his latest posts. Either way gets you to the latest update.

In general, iPad axe-fx editor updates come out the same week as a firmware update. And they don't mess up your presets.

This editor is the best way, for now, to safely edit a firmware update, not to mention it makes dialing the axe-fx a dream.

It will be frustrating to use with the MIDI interface. Hardware MIDI is very slow. I am not sure if iRig supports sysex.

MIDI over wifi and/or USB is much faster, and is the preferred connection method.

Yes iRig Midi supports Sysex, I bought it to use with AxePad and connected / edited successfully with that.
So do I just need to buy the Lemur software for the iPad and use your templates ?

I would like to try with the Irig, I have nothing to lose, then if that is too slow, use a PC for the midi.

Yes iRig Midi supports Sysex, I bought it to use with AxePad and connected / edited successfully with that.
So do I just need to buy the Lemur software for the iPad and use your templates ?

I would like to try with the Irig, I have nothing to lose, then if that is too slow, use a PC for the midi.
Exactly - just get the Lemur app on your iPad, then install the Lemur Editor and Lemur Daemon on your PC. The Lemur Editor needs to be run to upload the template to the iPad.

The Lemur Daemon needs to be running to enable the WiFi communication between AxeFXII and Lemur.

If you have the Apple Camera Connection Kit USB adapter, you can plug the iPad directly into the AxeFXII USB, but only after connecting the AxeII to a PC or Mac or Linux box that loads the USB firmware into the AxeII.

Save that link below and hit the later pages, or save Scrutinizer's profile and search his latest posts. Either way gets you to the latest update.

In general, iPad axe-fx editor updates come out the same week as a firmware update. And they don't mess up your presets.

This editor is the best way, for now, to safely edit a firmware update, not to mention it makes dialing the axe-fx a dream.
I just added the download link to my sig to make it easier to find the most recent version.

Exactly - just get the Lemur app on your iPad, then install the Lemur Editor and Lemur Daemon on your PC. The Lemur Editor needs to be run to upload the template to the iPad.

The Lemur Daemon needs to be running to enable the WiFi communication between AxeFXII and Lemur.

If you have the Apple Camera Connection Kit USB adapter, you can plug the iPad directly into the AxeFXII USB, but only after connecting the AxeII to a PC or Mac or Linux box that loads the USB firmware into the AxeII.

Actually you don't need to use the Lemur editor unless you want to for template loading. You can load the template via Itunes, under the Lemur app you can just add the file and then hit the sync button.

I feel like I'm on the total cutting edge of tactile control with this app. It is awesome.

Actually you don't need to use the Lemur editor unless you want to for template loading. You can load the template via Itunes, under the Lemur app you can just add the file and then hit the sync button.

I feel like I'm on the total cutting edge of tactile control with this app. It is awesome.

How do you use yours? To create presets? to edit a preset? etc?

Has anyone seen this?

- Get all from axe
- Go to Cab/Rot
- Cabs 1/2's on off state is correct but the cabs are the same. I have two cab blocks; Cab 1(mono high) and Cab 2 (2 stereo). If I have 'Cab 1' selected in Lemur and I 'get all' from axe Cab 2 never gets updated and vice versa.

Perhaps, this is a bug or I don't know how to get everything from the axe, correctly?

ps. perhaps found another bug. Doesn't happen constantly but when I go to the MTX screen and click on the 'red' cab block (cab2) it turned off (went grey) and couldn't turn it back on. So, potential bug might be where if you have two of the same blocks and one is 'green' and the other is 'red' and by pressing on the 'red' block it completely turns it off?

pps. After further investigation I think there is a bug in getting effect blocks information. Doesn't get either proper information or no information at all on the drive block and verb block (It's not even seeing the block, sometimes.) Sorry if this has been mentioned, already :)

THanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom