Switching Computers

Cooldrewb

Inspired
I switched from a Windows 10 Pro to Windows 11 system and installed all the software but for some reason now when I launch Axe Edit. It says disconnected. I uninstalled and reinstalled Axe Edit, I made sure that USB is plugged in correctly and checked my settings but can't connect. Any ideas what might be causing this to happen?

Ok, so making progress. After unistalling and reinstalling everything again the editor is talking to the AXE but now I am getting the following error messages

1672928896388.png

I also noticed that everything is pointing the correct locations except the global settings which is pointing to my old machine folder.
1672929061991.png

Yeah looks like your username is different. In the path for the Global Settings, change it from Music to drewb and that should fix it.

Last edited:
Set up your own directory structure on C: and point Axe Edit to these.
I never use Microsoft default locations. Usually they're buried under your user profile.
If that profile gets corrupted, you can't get to anything.
As an example:

C:\music\Fractal
C:\music\Fractal\AxeIII Edit
C:\music\Fractal\Drivers
C:\music\Fractal\Firmware
C:\music\Fractal\Backups

Etc.

Set up your own directory structure on C: and point Axe Edit to these.
I never use Microsoft default locations. Usually they're buried under your user profile.
If that profile gets corrupted, you can't get to anything.
As an example:

C:\music\Fractal
C:\music\Fractal\AxeIII Edit
C:\music\Fractal\Drivers
C:\music\Fractal\Firmware
C:\music\Fractal\Backups

Etc.
So, I created a whole new structure but I can't change global for some reason. I even tried to uninstall, delete all the fractal folders and start fresh somehow it keeps bringing back that Global location.

It must be stored in a user data file, windows registry, or an environment variable? Did you migrate any fractal directories over from the old system?

Makes me glad I keep turning down the offer to "upgrade" W10 to W11. I've had some of the same problems as the OP, but lately everything just works as intended.

Just checked my install -- the global settings directory doesn't appear to be written to any fractal config files or the registry so far as I can tell. I'd contact support if I were you.

Back
Top Bottom