Still struggling with the ac30tb model

Have you tried the pick attack parameter? (I'm assuming it's still there.)

I have, but it doesn't change much - if any.
And yes, I have tried all ac30 ir's, commercial and free, blues and silvers, except for the recent oh pack

Do you have the Delay Block before the Amp Block?
Have you tried a different guitar?
Are you using Active Pick-ups?

If you have the Delay Block before the Amp block, try placing the Delay Block after the Amp Block...

here's a comparison clip, reference first, reference + my guitar, my guitar only:

Sounds like a compressor running in front on your reference clip. I use a compressor on cleans much of the time for the same reason.

An easy way to get there would be audition some of the factory presets (with compressor enabled), when you find one with the attack you like you can retrieve the comp. block and add to your preset. The Gany Meade preset comes to mind

Could be a lot of things and I don't have a good answer for you, but based on my own experience it is possible that this has a lot to do with your pickups, guitar electronics, maybe even strings and picks, maybe even cables as well. Just something to keep in mind that there are a lot of variables here. IR choice is another big one.

Having said that it's a very interesting topic and I hope you get some good suggestions to help you make progress. I do think less gain and a subtle drive pedal in front might be a good thing to experiment with as was suggested earlier.

I appreciate all your advice / suggestions, but I think that if the Vox model does not sound right (or it sound different) than the same guitar /cable / gear plugged into a Vox, the problem (and the solution) must be within the amp block!
Am I the only one experiencing this awkward attack behavior with this amp model???

Does your actual Vox have an effects loop? If so, can you run your AF2 through it to fairly compare the pre-amp and ascertain whether or not the issue is there?

Last edited:
I appreciate all your advice / suggestions, but I think that if the Vox model does not sound right (or it sound different) than the same guitar /cable / gear plugged into a Vox, the problem (and the solution) must be within the amp block!
Am I the only one experiencing this awkward attack behavior with this amp model???
What you hear from the Axe-Fx is a mic'ed guitar amp. Comparing it to an un-mic'ed amp isn't ever going to yield the same results, sonically. If you want to make that kind of comparison, lose the CAB block and run the Axe-Fx directly in to the power amp of your Vox and monitor it that way. Get them sounding the same in this configuration and then go back to finding an IR you like, perhaps?

Also try a building a new Preset with just an Amp Block and a Cab Block and see what that sounds like..

No, you're not the only one. But I have problems with the attack most models. I end up using compression or settings that effectively are compression.

For almost all U2 stuff, I use drive > delay > amp > cab > reverb. For those who don't know, there isn't an effects loop on the AC30 but for U2 stuff, you have to put the delay before the amp anyway to make it sound right.

I recently sat down with an AC30 (H2) and started matching (again) with the path mentioned above sending it to a CLR and pre amp block out to the AC30. Yes, I'm fully aware of the mic-ed cab vs. in the room. My primary goal was to make them sound as close as possible despite this. I did get fairly close but the attack just wasn't right. As best as I can describe it, it sounds too sharp, not round, and the higher the volume, the more it is apparent. Ear fatigue is an issue when doing this as the H2 does not have a master volume... so to get the edge of breakup, I have to drive it or turn up the drive which is... loud.

Anyway, my approach to changing the attack is with compression. I didn't do enough in this session but it's important to get the right frequencies at the right volume at the right time. While listening to your clip, I can hear right of the bat that the attack is too harsh and contains the wrong frequencies. The recording of Iris has little bass and is a lot more airy and sparkly. I think the attack is mostly missing and what we hear (and like) is the ring after the attack. Choose your poison I guess... dial back the gain, cut some bass and some mid, use a fast attack compressor or use expansion instead, dial back the dynamics in the amp, physically strum a lot lighter, etc but above all figure out how to make that ring overpower the sound... maybe that will be enough without fully addressing the attack.

For almost all U2 stuff, I use drive > delay > amp > cab > reverb. For those who don't know, there isn't an effects loop on the AC30 but for U2 stuff, you have to put the delay before the amp anyway to make it sound right.

I understand why Edge puts the delay at the end of his chain when he's using a real amp., however, I didn't think the same rules applied in the digital world. Doesn't the delay sound better after the amp./cab.?

Last edited:
I am using the TB!

Something to also note about the Edge's tone is his actual pick. Not sure what you are using, but he uses the picks the Herdim Standard Nylon picks and uses them upside down which takes away that abrassiveness and adds more chime.

Also, I have found that the IR's for AC30's have NEVER felt right. That being said, I shot an old 1964 AC30 a couple months ago that doesn't have that "stiffness" you are talking about.

See if any of that helps!

Attachments

• 65 VOX 212 58-609 2.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 68
I've been spending 8 hours a day tweaking

This may be the problem. If it's not working after 7.5, I usually stop.

Kidding, Edo! Smile and take a break.

If the IR your using doesn't match the sound in your head, it can be challenging.

At this point, would it be worth it to take your favorite AC30 into a small studio to do an IR Capture and Tone Match? So many AC30s sound so different to each other. I've worked with some amazing and legendary amps and the results after a simple capture have been what I'd call absolutely satisfying.

you just can't take the mic'd tone vs amp in the room thing out of the equation. the attack sounds and feels very different when hearing that.

What Matt said. The problem is that the "AC30" can be one of dozens of different designs. The AC30 design was constantly changing. I don't think Vox even knew at one point what an AC30 was supposed to be. There are versions with EF86's, versions with Fender tone-stacks, versions with 100 nF coupling caps, versions with 47 nF coupling caps, versions with 300V plates, versions with 200V plates, etc., etc., etc.

Back
Top Bottom