Implemented Shimmer Reverb

I was going to quip: "Sometimes his messages post kind of choppy. You see, he made his own computer, and when he stops pedaling, the computer sort of browns-out."

If I could get “off the grid” I imagine I’d have far less issues with Rf and EMI when playing through my III lol

I don't see much difference between having presets to get specific amp sounds and presets for various effects. My feeling is the FX III presets have been focused on amp and cab combinations to obtain those specific sounds. And look at all the drive options that are based on very specific brand name pedals. These are very comprehensive and great in the FX III. OTOH there are no blocks or presets that mimic a Big Sky or Timefactor for instance even though I assume the FX III could do it. Fractal has the FX8 unit dedicated to just effects. I have never looked at that product. It must have effects only presets? Can those presets be converted in FracTool and used in the FX III?

I don't see much difference between having presets to get specific amp sounds and presets for various effects. My feeling is the FX III presets have been focused on amp and cab combinations to obtain those specific sounds. And look at all the drive options that are based on very specific brand name pedals. These are very comprehensive and great in the FX III. OTOH there are no blocks or presets that mimic a Big Sky or Timefactor for instance even though I assume the FX III could do it. Fractal has the FX8 unit dedicated to just effects. I have never looked at that product. It must have effects only presets? Can those presets be converted in FracTool and used in the FX III?
The challenge is that people want to add "an effect" like they could select a "preset" on the Big Sky into an existing preset.

The Big Sky is viewed as "an effect", but in reality many of those presets from those units are multiple effects.

The FX8 is no different... You need to combine multiple blocks to get the same end result.

You can make presets that have these blocks laid out to get the desired result, but that doesn't help because you can't import a preset into another preset, and you also can't copy multiple blocks at the same time (although there is a recent wish for that).

Sorry, but that is a silly perspective IMO. You’d prefer only one of each physical pedal than so things don’t become clichè? Only one Tube Screamer? Steinway piano?

This mentality of “if too many people have it it isn’t cool” doesn’t make sense to me.

“Problem” though is that you end up with tons of people all using the same preset, and suddenly a cool sound becomes totally cliche. It’s the same as when I was doing a lot of synth production. New keyboard came out and had a unique preset and suddenly you were hearing a hundred tracks with the same sound.

The upside to needing to do a little experimentation and combine your own settings together is that you can come up with fresh and unique sounds, and others can’t instantly duplicate it by turning a knob.

Same as when I used to do some studio engineering and we’d get a tone based on a bunch of variables. Amp, how we mic’d, board, any effects etc. Even if people knew your amp etc, they couldn’t easily match the tone.

Now days you hear a cool tone and you ask for the preset. You’ve got the amp model, the effects, the cab etc all right there, press of a button. Guitar, playing etc, can still vary things, but essentially any “secret” is no longer secret, nor does it effectively require any experience or knowledge.

I’m not saying that all is a bad thing, there are some good arguments for letting people get great tones without a lot of effort. Some don’t want to understand how it works, they want to turn a dial and have a famous tone pop up.

But, it also means anyone else can do the same too. I personally can’t stand hearing another shimmer verb, or someone doing the “blue orchid” POG setting etc. Once a week I hear a band still doing that stuff in original songs and it just gets old, IMO. Nothing against anyone who likes a loves an effect. Wah has been done to death and I still love using it. But, I think there are core effects and then effecty effects, and the later can quickly become a gimmick.

Stuff you create yourself can certainly still become a gimmick, but you’ve probably got far longer before everyone is doing it, especially if it’s not ready as the press of a button.

I’m old and grumpy though and DIY everything I can, short of making my own clothes. I don’t want ready made, I enjoy the process, the knowledge and skill that goes into things like soldering a pedal. I like having something no one else does. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I’m sure tons of people would gladly trade some flexibility and ultimate sound quality for plug and play

I agree with all the points that have been stated, I just wanna clarify the reason why I posted this request. I was talking about this with three friends, all fractal users, and none of them are in this forum, and they all play a lot of worship music. They were all talking about how it would be convenient to just click the Reverb Type and access the Shimmer Verb as oppose to lining up different options. So in a way, they are part of the reason why I posted this request. In that PAW genre, the shimmer reverb is kind of becoming a standard.

I agree with all the points that have been stated, I just wanna clarify the reason why I posted this request. I was talking about this with three friends, all fractal users, and none of them are in this forum, and they all play a lot of worship music. They were all talking about how it would be convenient to just click the Reverb Type and access the Shimmer Verb as oppose to lining up different options. So in a way, they are part of the reason why I posted this request. In that PAW genre, the shimmer reverb is kind of becoming a standard.
I can see this argument. To be honest I don't really know exactly what a shimmer reverb is supposed to be. Some clips I've heard sound like an octave pitch shift into a long reverb. Others sound more like crystal echoes up an octave into reverb.

I can easily add pitch shifting to the reverb and add a "Shimmer Mix" parameter.

If someone can post an ideal shimmer reverb preset that would help me add it to the reverb block.

Sorry, but that is a silly perspective IMO. You’d prefer only one of each physical pedal than so things don’t become clichè? Only one Tube Screamer? Steinway piano?

This mentality of “if too many people have it it isn’t cool” doesn’t make sense to me.

If you feel that way it’s fine. I can only assume you don’t enjoy building and designing your own effects. I do. They don’t always work great, lol, but I like the process and trying to come up with different places to but a trimmer, finding unique parts etc and when it works and I’ve got a fuzz tone that doesnt sound like anything else (to my knowledge) I find it very satisfying.

You don’t ever hear a certain effect and not only instantly know the pedal, but also think you’ve heard it a million times before ?

I love new and unique tones. Tom Morello blew me away when I first heard Rage. Kill switches, tapping an Allen wrench on the strings, whammy etc all we’re awesome. But then when I started to see lots of other guys doing the exact same techniques, i didn’t think “that’s awesome”, I thought “they are copying Tom”....

Obviously there is always going to be some copying, influences etc, but I still really enjoy fresh and unique tones, especially in this day and age.

Annie Clark of St. Vincent for example, wow... unique playing, cool use of fuzz and harmonizers, who else sounds like that ?

I totally get consumer behavior though. I know lots of people want to go to the store and buy a pedal that you plug in and it sounds a certain way. Likewise lots of people want to turn a dial and have a great tone. I’m honestly not knocking anyone for that, I’m simply saying that based upon my own taste and preferences, I enjoy something unique when possible.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got a bunch of store bought pedals still, and I’ve got presets that match a given amp or player, but my favorites are still my DIY ones.

I’ve got a bunch of Fender guitars too, they play great, but my favorites are my partscasters I did myself. They aren’t better per say, but they are more personal to me.

If you want turn key effects, more power to you, I hope Cliff hooks everyone up. But, I think folks should also give the DIY a try. I wish I did it 20 years ago. I would of saved thousands of dollars on buy and sell, and it’s just a pretty fun hobby, related to guitar, IMO.

I can see this argument. To be honest I don't really know exactly what a shimmer reverb is supposed to be. Some clips I've heard sound like an octave pitch shift into a long reverb. Others sound more like crystal echoes up an octave into reverb.

I can easily add pitch shifting to the reverb and add a "Shimmer Mix" parameter.

If someone can post an ideal shimmer reverb preset that would help me add it to the reverb block.
I’m no expert either. You have better ears than me... this is basically it...

Sounds like pitch-shifted octave up crystals with a delayed volume swell, into a long reverb. That’s what I can hear and I’m not sophisticated with this stuff at all. But that’s how I would start my build of a “shimmer reverb”.

FWIW, I listened on a mono iPhone 6s speaker; I may have missed any modulation or filtering.

I suppose whatever the ‘original’ pedal was that kicked off the shimmer verb popularity could be said to be what it is supposed to sound like.

I rememeber having a digitech Supernatural reverb which did the effect, and as a Wet Reverb which had the effect, as did TC Hall of Fame, and of course the Strymon. If I’m not mistaken though, I think I had a L6 M5 which had a few mod reverbs way back in the day, that might of been the first ?

As far as the effect goes, I personally think the Wet/Immerse reverb pedals have the most musically pleasing shimmer effect. Some sound like they have way too many artifacts and just don’t sit well.

I personally think the plexi settings shared in the thread sound better than anything else though

Sounds like pitch-shifted octave up crystals with a delayed volume swell, into a long reverb. That’s what I can hear and I’m not sophisticated with this stuff at all. But that’s how I would start my build of a “shimmer reverb”.

FWIW, I listened on a mono iPhone 6s speaker; I may have missed any modulation or filtering.
The video that Milo posted annotates the different shifted values in the various examples.

I suppose whatever the ‘original’ pedal was that kicked off the shimmer verb popularity could be said to be what it is supposed to sound like.

I rememeber having a digitech Supernatural reverb which did the effect, and as a Wet Reverb which had the effect, as did TC Hall of Fame, and of course the Strymon. If I’m not mistaken though, I think I had a L6 M5 which had a few mod reverbs way back in the day, that might of been the first ?

As far as the effect goes, I personally think the Wet/Immerse reverb pedals have the most musically pleasing shimmer effect. Some sound like they have way too many artifacts and just don’t sit well.

I personally think the plexi settings shared in the thread sound better than anything else though
The original "pedal" was Daniel Lanois, Brian Eno and The Edge in a studio with a bunch of outboard gear that they connected in some way.

Off topic admittedly, but... if you’re feeling in the holiday gifting mood with easier setup options in blocks... how about a “harmonic trem” config option in the Tremolo/Panner block too? :D

Off topic admittedly, but... if you’re feeling in the holiday gifting mood with easier setup options in blocks... how about a “harmonic trem” config option in the Tremolo/Panner block too? :D
Sure, but I have no idea what that is.

Back
Top Bottom