The Flint Tremolo Done Right

GM Arts

Fractal Fanatic
A while back there was a post about trying to recreate the sound of a Flint Tremolo. Here's how to do it properly:

The Flint tremolo alternates between a high pass and low pass filter, still giving the throbbing tremolo effect but with a subtle wah characteristic as well. IIRC the original thread concluded that it was possible with 2 filter blocks, but didn't really sound right. I expect this is due to phase cancellation when these filters combine.

The right way to mix high pass and low pass filters is to use filters designed to be combined ... like the crossover blocks! So use two crossover blocks in parallel with settings shown in the pics. One modulates low frequency level with LFO1A while high frequencies are controlled with opposite modulation phase using LFO1B.

Settings to play with:

Keep the frequency the same for both blocks. 800Hz seemed about right to me for a good effect. For the modifiers that modulate level, set Max to a level that maintains the same perceived volume between effect off and on (I chose +1dB) and set Min to control the depth of the effect - I chose -12dB as a "medium depth" amount

In the LFO, use different waveforms to change the effect - sine gives a smooth change, sine adds a bit of "throb", while square switches between low & high frequencies. Set the frequency to whatever you want, and output phase varies between this "Flint tremolo" at 180 degrees, to normal tremolo at 0 degrees.

Hope this is helpful to someone :)

x_over1.jpg

x_over2.jpg

ctrl_lfo.jpg

AX8/FX8 users can do this without the Crossover blocks - replace them with parallel Filter blocks. Use Filter 1 as a Lowpass (4th order) and Filter 2 as a Highpass (4th order), both at 800 Hz and 0.7 Q. This gets roughly the same results as the 4th order filters utilized in the Crossover block. Bonus, if you switch to 2nd order filters, it starts to sound very Univibey.

I like to attach the Envelope controller to the LFO rate (with about 1-2 Hz variance) for a slight speed increase when I dig in. Also drench with Spring Verb.

I think using filter blocks was the cause of original reports of the effect "not sounding right". Easy to test though, set the high pass and low pass filters both on without modulation, connected in parallel. Probably will need to set output levels to -6dB, then check there's no tone difference between off and on.

Interesting thread, and very nicely laid out by GM Arts.

At first I thought it wasn't too different from a regular tremolo.
So I used the Tremolo settings from the preset by Sheky, didn't use the Crossovers, increased Depth and decreased Duty for more throbbing and more distinct pulse.

But it isn't the same. The nice thing about the "Flint" settings is that while the throbbing is more apparent, it doesn't affect the higher strings. You can play chords and the throbbing doesn't get in the way at all.

Good job!

Now if this thing could be part of a Trem block as a "type" ...

I've posted a wishlist request:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/provide-flint-tremolo-settings-as-a-tremolo-block-type.109164/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom