Bug? Screen freeze on Axe II with USB

colosse83

Hi everyone,

Im having a strange problem with my week old Axe II.
When the unit is used as a usb sound card, the lcd screen freezes after some time (around 20-30 secs), mostly while I play audio on the computer.
The music still continue to play through my powered monitors and the guitar signal is still processed and sounds fine but the screen doesnt respond to anything and stay stucked on the same page. I can still ear the presets change when I turn the value wheel and still can edit and save presets in Axe-edit.
This can happen on any preset or page. The units is on lastest firmware 5.7, I tried using older firmware but the same problem happens.
I tried plugging the axe usb before and after turning on the computer, and also tried this in another computer with same results.
Also tried reseting the unit with no results.
I'm using windows 7

The Axe never froze or had any other problems while not plugged usb into the computer

Am I the only one to encounter this?

Thanks for any help!

Same thing happening here on my 2 day old II running 5.07.
This was my first time trying to use USB on the II so I may be doing something wrong.
But everything seems to work great right up until the time when the II freezes.
I'm on an Intel iMac (OS 10.6.8).
I've got the latest Mac USB drivers loaded from Fractal's site.
I'm using the latest version of Logic.
So far I've set it up in Logic for the II as my Input Source and my Presonus Firebox as my Output.
64 samples buffer yields good enough latency with no pops.
Project is set for 48k sampling rate. So is Firebox.
Software Monitoring is on in Logic.

What happens is that after I arm the track I can hear the audio from the II and all appears to be well.
But about 5 seconds into it the II freezes, with audio still working, but nothing on the II can be adjusted.

My 2 day old II came with 5.06 installed.
5.07 has been out for some time.
Why would a brand new II be shipped with 5.06 on it instead of the latest firmware?

Is it because there are known problems with 5.07?

Where I can I dl 5.06 so that I can see if it fixes this problem.

If I am not mistaken other threads seems to talk about the Axe II completly freezing (no audio) while this problem is about the display screen that freezes but audio still working (but impossible to adjust anything on the unit).
Problem is not related to any special presets or effects used as it freezes on any menu or presets
My Axe is also quite new (about 1 week old) and also camed with 5.06 that I upgraded to 5.07

Is the MIDI light on the front panel lighting up when this happens? I've only had one instance of the front panel freezing on me and it was a MIDI feedback loop of some kind that I initiated by being a doofus (not calling anyone here a doofus).

Same thing happening here on my 2 day old II running 5.07.
This was my first time trying to use USB on the II so I may be doing something wrong.
But everything seems to work great right up until the time when the II freezes.
I'm on an Intel iMac (OS 10.6.8).
I've got the latest Mac USB drivers loaded from Fractal's site.
I'm using the latest version of Logic.
So far I've set it up in Logic for the II as my Input Source and my Presonus Firebox as my Output.
64 samples buffer yields good enough latency with no pops.
Project is set for 48k sampling rate. So is Firebox.
Software Monitoring is on in Logic.

What happens is that after I arm the track I can hear the audio from the II and all appears to be well.
But about 5 seconds into it the II freezes, with audio still working, but nothing on the II can be adjusted.

My 2 day old II came with 5.06 installed.
5.07 has been out for some time.
Why would a brand new II be shipped with 5.06 on it instead of the latest firmware?

Is it because there are known problems with 5.07?

Where I can I dl 5.06 so that I can see if it fixes this problem.

Not to hi-jack this thread but...

I've been trying to use the Axe II via USB as my Input source into Logic, but I'm using my Presonus Firebox as the Output.
Is that not 'kosher'?
Could that routing scheme be what is causing my freezes?
I.e. When using the Axe II's USB interface does the Axe II also have to be the Output source that is connected to my speakers?

I confess to having not read the manual very closely about any of this yet, so there might be something real obvious going on.

Not to hi-jack this thread but...

I've been trying to use the Axe II via USB as my Input source into Logic, but I'm using my Presonus Firebox as the Output.
Is that not 'kosher'?
Could that routing scheme be what is causing my freezes?
I.e. When using the Axe II's USB interface does the Axe II also have to be the Output source that is connected to my speakers?

I confess to having not read the manual very closely about any of this yet, so there might be something real obvious going on.

Anybody?

Just trying this again here before I either start a new thread about it or email Support. (Or God-forbid, I read the manual. lol)

I have received mine today and experiencing the same issue. Seems to be a trend on this thread that people experiencing this problem have been receiving theirs around this March time, which is worrying.

May I ask where you guys are from in the world?

Im in the UK... ordered mine from G66 and have emailed them with the issue.

Hope this gets sorted I have been waiting F-ing ages for this blaady thing!!!

Im from france orderded from G66.

I have update the firmware 5.07 again. Now the LCD freez only when i use the AXE FX II ASIO DRIVER in cubase 5

I have been advised by an IT expert that there is potential of it corrupting hardware further if you downgrade the firmware... I would advise against it personally... and badger the people you bought it from.

I got mine from G66 and so far they have been very understanding and helpful. They have suggested that it could be a bug in the firmware, but cannot confirm that for sure.

They have also been advised that Fractal are aware of this issue and are working "intensively" to fix it. So hopefully we will see a newer firmware realised soon.

Email g66 to let them know... I am in the UK and received mine yesterday... they are being very helpful and have updated me with all progress they and Fractal have made... could potentially be a firmware issue..
Fingers Crossed it is and they can sort it ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom