Bug? Screen freeze on Axe II with USB

This has become moot for me anyway because I've got USB audio on my Mac/Logic working now w/o any freezing on the Axe.
So even if I can find an earlier firmware file I probably won't bother loading it into the Axe.
Looking forward to vewrsion 6 actually!

Here's what I had to do to fix my problem.
I had to set up an "Aggregate Device" object in Apple's Audio MIDI Setup application.
In Logic's Audio Prefs I select the Aggregate Device as my In and my Out to/from the software, and all seems well.
Logic now shows all 8 potential Inputs to the software (Axe has 4, Firebox has 4) and all 10 potential Outputs from the software (Axe has 2, Firebox has 8 ).
Correct routing to/from Logic is done within Logic on a track by track or bus by bus case.
While I haven't really done anything much yet with that setup, so far, it doesn't freeze anymore.

I hope the other USB issues that folks are having do get resolved soon too.

I have a feeling that lots of the USB problems folks are having are due to the lack of detailed instructions and troubleshooting guides for doing this type of thing from Fractal as well as Apple and the various other DAW companies.
My "fix" was not inuitive and with the way things look at face value within the Axe and/or the various Apple apps involved, I never would have even thought about creating an Aggregate Device because, at face value, it doesn't appear to be necessary to do so.
I.e. The ways that Logic provides within its Prefs for using the Axe as either an Input or an Output source, w/o any Aggregate Device involved, look like they should work.
And they do work, as far as the audio is concerned.
It's just that when you set it up that way the Axe's screen and controls freeze.

Last edited:
Yeah I dont think you risk anything with downgrading firmware,

I never found found 5.06 but got a 5. something that I tried

Unfortunatly nothing chnaged and same screen freeze so i Got back to 5.7

just out of curiosity are you using a PC? They guy i have been dealing with at the disti has advised that it could be a firmware issue also, but im not convinced. Its seems that this issue has only occurred with recent purchases of the device. If it was a firmware issue I would assume the forums would be flooded with complains... but so far its only your thread that has been posted, filled with people with recent purchases of the unit.

Pretty nice you figured your problem out!
But my screen freeze is not related to any DAW, it just freezes for no reason no matter what I do after some time

Hello,

I experiment the same problem on WindowsXP Sp3 with Cubase 5. But with Axe Edit everything is OK. Transfer and sound. I tried a lot of activation and desactivation of all other audio driver i have, But no success. May be Sir Cliff can help....

Pretty nice you figured your problem out!
But my screen freeze is not related to any DAW, it just freezes for no reason no matter what I do after some time
Been running mine in and out of DAW (Reaper) and no freezes. WIn7x64.
No freezes doing other things either.

I have been advised by an IT expert that there is potential of it corrupting hardware further if you downgrade the firmware... I would advise against it personally...
To be *blunt*.. this as absolute hogwash. No offence, but your *IT Expert* doesn't have a clue!!

I (and many others) upgrade and downgrade firmware quite frequently - I'm a Beta Tester - and while I wouldn't label myself an "IT Expert", I've made a pretty darn good living from it over the last 20+ yrs, so have more than a little on which to base my opinion.

I'm stating *hogwash* because this type of mis-information is what leads to folks mis-understanding and misinterpreting what they can and cannot do with Axe firmware. If you have it.. you can downgrade your firmware from the current version to ANY prior version that was released for that model. So if you happen to be on v5.07, you can SAFELY downgrade to v1.0 is *you so desire*. I wouldn't recommend it - but not because of *non-existent* potential hardware damage - but because you'll be missing on out all the wonderful new features and upgrades that Cliff introduced. YMMV.

I had have my Axe Fx for 4 days, and I'm experimenting the same screen freeze when I have the unit conected to my pc via USB (windows 7 ultimate 64 bits)

I had have my Axe Fx for 4 days, and I'm experimenting the same screen freeze when I have the unit conected to my pc via USB (windows 7 ultimate 64 bits)
More details pls.. .which apps do you have running when you get the screen freeze? Are you running AxeEdit when it happens? Are you connecting over USB 2.x or USB 3.x?

For me the screen freeze happens after a few moments when audio/video is played, no matter what app is running. Windows media alone can trigger this while playing a song. Problem happens wheter AxeEdit is running or not. Could USB 3 connection help stop this?

For me the screen freeze happens after a few moments when audio/video is played, no matter what app is running. Windows media alone can trigger this while playing a song. Problem happens wheter AxeEdit is running or not. Could USB 3 connection help stop this?

this is exactly my problem too, i'm on windows 7 64. i got my axe, a couple days ago :eek:

I don't think USB 3 is supported by the FAS USB Driver.. it's USB 2 compliant. I'm on win7x64 and cannt re-create this type of freeze, even with iTunes, Win Media or other 3rd party Audio apps running. My first guess is that you have a low-level conflict of some kind. Are you sending the audio output to the Axe over USB ?

More details pls.. .which apps do you have running when you get the screen freeze? Are you running AxeEdit when it happens? Are you connecting over USB 2.x or USB 3.x?

hi, in my case, i got usb 2 on my mobo. it seems that the act of streaming audio from the pc to the axe via usb causing the issue,
i tried on ableton live, winamp and on media player classic.
i also tried to disable my old sound card (audiophile 2496), and also to delete it's drivers.
i didn't used axe edit.
i'm on windows 7 sp1 64 bit.

apart from that, it seems that everything is working fine, although i'm only browsing through the presets and not doing anything else.
what is funny, is that when it's happaning only the display freeze, i can still play and change things/presets :lol

ok thanks for your help, yeah problem only happens when the axe is plugged usb and used as an external sound card feeding powered monitors

Hello everybody,

i have the same problem and using the TUSBAudio Spy Tool i have an error message. May be it will inspire someone to resolve. All other functions are working well.

TUSBAudio Spy Tool

Device 0

ISO Streams

ERR : IsoPacketFailed IN : 9 OUT : 0

ERR : LastPacketStatus IN : 0xC0020000 OUT : 0x00000000

I'm on Windows XP SP 3 with Cubase 5 . The bug seems to happen when i am setting the Axe asio driver on cubase. With Axe Edit everything works well. I am disapointed because the USB funktion was a great part on my decision to buy the unit. Hope the support brings a solution.

Received my Axe II today, and experienced same issue running USB. Sound and functionality continue - but screen freezes.

Running 5.06... Will try 5.07 and see if it fixes the issue.

Tried the firmware update - issue still continues.

Assuming Fractal are busy busy with troubleshooting this issue, and fix will be available soon.

Hey, greetings from Finland! I received my Axe-Fx II from g66 this Wednesday and I'm experiencing the same issue as described above: screen freezes after a while (when connected via usb) but sound works just fine. I noticed the freezing for the first time today when I was playing along a guitar pro 5-track. I hope this isn't some major hardware-issue which requires all units to be sent back to the USA :D (sorry my grammar).

Back
Top Bottom