Red Sound Elis8 FRFR Review and MF 10 Comparision

I've used my Elis.8 bundle a few times now. I've been playing CLR(s) for quite a few years now and always felt they translated well from my studio monitors. My initial thought when I tried the Elis.8 at home was as many has pointed out that they sounded dark but I wanted to preserve judgement until I played loud and with the band. I played one rehearsal and one gig with them. I still thought they sounded too dark at volume and with the band. I've plaid with two different bands recently, in my own band there's me on guitar, bass player, drummer and singer so no other instruments in the same sonic space and even if it was a bit dark it was still working alright. Two days ago I rehearsed with another band where I'm subbing for another guitarist and we have a gig with that band tonight. Bigger constellation with me, another guitarist and also keyboards plus drums and bass. The other guitarist had a Marshall DSL 40 at last rehearsal and I had the two Elis.8 and I definitely felt more lost in the mix with how dark they sound to me. Yesterday I had rehearsal with my own band so before the rehearsal i started fiddling with out Output EQ. I cranked it up at home a fair bit - about 90dB according to my Apple Watch. My goal was to get in the vicinity as my studio monitors (Genelec 8341). I'm not obsessing over it sound exactly the same because I know they won't anyway. I just want to be able to dial in sounds at home and have them translate reasonably well at volume. Being a little bit darker is probably a good thing because Fletcher Munson will compensate. I started a little bit more aggressive so flatten the EQ a little bit and ended up with the following Output EQ

View attachment 111693

It sounded really balanced to me and I was happy with the result. Hopefully at the gig tonight I'll have the same feeling with the bigger constellation band.

The biggest thing for me otherwise with the Elis.8 compared to the CLR is that with the two Elis.8 it feels like I'm standing in the sound in a way where the CLR felt it was blasting at me. I have tried two CLRs but it feels its almost always to big to bring two CLRs and from memory I didn't get the same standing in the sound feeling compared to the Elis.8's. Another thing that's happened is that the bass player in my band commented the first time I played the Elis.8's is that he felt my dynamics improved compared to the CLR. His comment was that the CLR always just felt loud compared to the Elis.8.
Thank you again for posting this. I finally had a chance to try it out and love it. Sticking with it as my default.

@rhummellh
@Sashman
@DallasGlenn2005
@theblogjammers

My order of Active/Passive Redsound Ellis 8 came in today. However, instead of getting an active / passive cabs I got two passive cabs. They screwed up my order. The question I have is does the system work with two passive cabs and how do you adjust the volume? Otherwise, I have to send it back for full refund.

What would you do, keep two passive cabs (any use) or send it back?

I bought from Cosmo Music Canada. I live in Toronto, Canada.

Really dissapointed.

P.S. I use the AX8 if it makes any difference.

I would send it back. The active cab has the power amp built in, so now you have no power amp to power the speakers. The active cab has the poweramp volume control on the back. To use them without an active speaker you would have to use an external power amp to power them, so that is another thing you would have to buy if you don't have one already. So the best thing is probably to send it back for a refund.

I would send it back. The active cab has the power amp built in, so now you have no power amp to power the speakers. The active cab has the poweramp volume control on the back. To use them without an active speaker you would have to use an external power amp to power them, so that is another thing you would have to buy if you don't have one already. So the best thing is probably to send it back for a refund.
I sent one of the two passive cabs back for an exchange for a single active cab. Your right no power or volume on the passive cabs!

@rhummellh
@Sashman
@DallasGlenn2005
@theblogjammers

My order of Active/Passive Redsound Ellis 8 came in today. However, instead of getting an active / passive cabs I got two passive cabs. They screwed up my order. The question I have is does the system work with two passive cabs and how do you adjust the volume? Otherwise, I have to send it back for full refund.

What would you do, keep two passive cabs (any use) or send it back?

I bought from Cosmo Music Canada. I live in Toronto, Canada.

Really dissapointed.

P.S. I use the AX8 if it makes any difference.
Sorry. Just saw this. Seems like you have it handled.

I sent one of the two passive cabs back for an exchange for a single active cab. Your right no power or volume on the passive cabs!
This!
It’s worth waiting for the active cab.
Both cabs look very similar, I’m shure it was just a fault when someone did pack your order.

My Redsound active cab came in today. They had sent me two passives so I sent one back.

Boy I hooked it up tonight and I’m in heaven. My wife says there’s no comparing my headrush frfr to these nor my real tube AC10. She told me to sell off the AC10 and pedals as my ax8 and Elis 8’s are light years ahead.

Good so I can make a few grand to invest in order to buy more fractal gear down the road :) Perhaps an FM9 a few years from now.

My Redsound active cab came in today. They had sent me two passives so I sent one back.

Boy I hooked it up tonight and I’m in heaven. My wife says there’s no comparing my headrush frfr to these nor my real tube AC10. She told me to sell off the AC10 and pedals as my ax8 and Elis 8’s are light years ahead.

Good so I can make a few grand to invest in order to buy more fractal gear down the road :) Perhaps an FM9 a few years from now.
Great that you enjoy them.
Rock them hard they are awesome!

Enjoy your upgraded setup!!! When will you have your first gig with them?

So just you on the guitar? Or will you also be singing?
Just instrumentals.

With the dismal amount of money most bar gigs pay I’m also looking into live streaming to see if I can make just as much as bars working out of my home studio.

No travelling, no bad weather conditions, no theft/damage to equipment, no harassment or violence, no hiring security/police. Basically, far less overhead.

It may be a viable solution until I can build enough experience to get hired at big payday private events down the road.

Last edited:
No travelling, no bad weather conditions, no theft/damage to equipment, no harassment or violence, no hiring security/police. Basically, far less overhead.
Ok, I get the traveling part and the potential risk to your equipment, but is that not just "part of the deal" for a working musician? Is that not the same as any other job where a professional brings his tools to the job? Millions of people commute to work in their car that cost way more than your guitar gear.

For the harassment and violence...how real is that risk for the typical bar gig?? Guess the need for hiring security would this not be applicable until you get into celebrity territory???

It may be a viable solution until I can build enough experience to get hired at big payday private events down the road

What do you consider a "big payday" private event? As to my earlier point: would this not be realistic until you get into celebrity territory???

Good luck with you gig, I hope for you you can make it in the music industry.
Point of advise: if you want to make easy money, the music industry may not be the right place to start...

Ok, I get the traveling part and the potential risk to your equipment, but is that not just "part of the deal" for a working musician? Is that not the same as any other job where a professional brings his tools to the job? Millions of people commute to work in their car that cost way more than your guitar gear.

For the harassment and violence...how real is that risk for the typical bar gig?? Guess the need for hiring security would this not be applicable until you get into celebrity territory???

What do you consider a "big payday" private event? As to my earlier point: would this not be realistic until you get into celebrity territory???

Good luck with you gig, I hope for you you can make it in the music industry.
Point of advise: if you want to make easy money, the music industry may not be the right place to start...
Nothing to do with celebrity territory— I’m not famous.

Here in Toronto you don’t need to be a celebrity to make 6 figures (I already do in the Treasury division of a major bank -- I work 6 hrs a day from home. In the mid -afternoon I'm in my music studio on the guitar). Getting mugged in Toronto is not impossible. It's already happened to me once with someone with a bladed weapon. Luckily my wife was with me and she sneakily escaped and called security and the police in record time. I had no money or goods on me at the time. It was at 3 pm in the afternoon! Imagine if I had 6k of new guitar equipment on me and I was carrying it to my car at 9 pm at night?? One needs security/police protection as a performer if they carry expensive goods on a routine basis. Or at least insurance on it. But I'd rather have it not stolen in the first place which is why I prefer protection.

Here in Toronto an 18 year old girl was mugged at gunpoint at a shopping mall during the day. What was she carrying? $100 pair of jeans.

Toronto’s like NYC my friend.

Music industry is to supplement my income. An extra $70k a year on top of my current 6 figure income is all I aim to achieve.

How do I aim to achieve this?

To get to a big payday, I’ll perform 1xweek for small money just so I can have over 250 concerts under my belt in 5 years time (25 years experience) when I go after private events. Live streaming can bring in just as much as a $100 bar gig. Which is why I wouldn’t overlook it. Best of all no overhead! 250 small concerts , in addition to 25 years experience is enough for private events to take me seriously. Also your setlist will be repeated 250 times LIVE in addition to daily practice. Confidence should come naturally at that point to perform at big private events.

Big paydays? I’m not talking worldwide fame. I would consider $1.5k a night (Performing every Saturday while practicing 3-6 hrs/day M-F) plus tips (Tips can accumulate to even $500+ a night if one is charismatic enough to work the crowd. ) a big payday at private events. Private events include corporate events (where I currently work and have connections), VIP parties, grand openings of many businesses, Weddings, Retirement parties, Anniversary parties etc. That can work out to a six figure income performing only 1x week if one is skilled enough.

Hardly world famous territory. Perhaps the fame of a LOCAL celebrity by the time I reach 30+ years experience.

Where in the world do you live? Here in Toronto salaries are competitively priced. By the age of 40 I was already making 6 figures.

Last edited:
Edit: the OP edited the message I replied to multiple times so I remove my response because it was no longer aligned with the message I responded to.

To @dsouza good luck with your gig and keep dreaming!!!

Last edited:
@Sashman
@DallasGlenn2005
@PatrickWD

Just a sidenote -- I found my RS Elis 8 Active monitor wouldn't power properly through my wall outlet or basic surge plugged into wall outlet.
It would make a huge humming noise even if the volume was off. The noise was deafening so I knew something was wrong with the power.

Luckily I have a cyberpower power supply 1000 VA AVR with surge protection I had bought a year ago. I plugged it into that and it then powered without any noise or problems. Suddenly fixed!

What do you guys make of this? Did this happen to you? I live in Toronto, Canada if it makes any difference. Could it be wattage in Canada is different from how the RS Elis 8's are designed?

Someone help me figure this out. OW to every gig I need to bring a 1000 VA AVR cyberpower power supply with me for fear the RS's won't power on!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom