Red Sound Elis8 FRFR Review and MF 10 Comparision

As of a few months ago, they were $999 active, $799 passive, or $1,699 for the active/passive bundle.
I see that I can purchase a "Brand New" bundle on Reverb.
As of a few months ago, they were $999 active, $799 passive, or $1,699 for the active/passive bundle.
I see that the "Brand New" bundle is available on Reverb.com The seller is The Tone Depot in Chicago. Any thoughts? Thanks again

I see that I can purchase a "Brand New" bundle on Reverb.

I see that the "Brand New" bundle is available on Reverb.com The seller is The Tone Depot in Chicago. Any thoughts? Thanks again
Well, Reverb gives individual sellers the ability to name their “store” anything they like, so you may want to look at their profile/history if you’re concerned as to whether or not it’s legitimately brand new. Email this guy from RedSound’s US distributor massimod@lyonhealy.com. He was very helpful and responsive when I dealt with him. You can at least get a feel for currenet inventory or backorder if you’re genuinely interested.

Well, Reverb gives individual sellers the ability to name their “store” anything they like, so you may want to look at their profile/history if you’re concerned as to whether or not it’s legitimately brand new. Email this guy from RedSound’s US distributor massimod@lyonhealy.com. He was very helpful and responsive when I dealt with him. You can at least get a feel for currenet inventory or backorder if you’re genuinely interested.
I did get a reply from Italy saying that it was legit and verified by the US distributor. Arriving Tuesday.

Bummer I received mine yesterday opened it this morning. The amp unit speaker buzzes. I looked closer at the speaker cabinet and there is a defect in the corner almost looks like it had been dropped? The package seemed sealed upon arrival and not damaged. I have contacted customer support at the store I bought it at "FlipSide" as well as Red Sound. Well guess we will see how customer support is. Very disappointed as it sounds great the passive speaker which I also ordered is free from defects and does not buzz

I just got the Electro-Voice PXM-12MP, seems pretty nice haven’t had much time on it yet. Has adjustable EQ too / anyone had these two models to compare?

I just got the Electro-Voice PXM-12MP, seems pretty nice haven’t had much time on it yet. Has adjustable EQ too / anyone had these two models to compare?
I initially had Headrush 112 cabs then quickly sold them for the ELIS.8 bundle, which sound great. They have a beautiful sound and are very loud. Ultimately they didn’t work for me because on small stages I couldn’t tip them back far enough to be able to hear them when my legs were almost against the cabinet.

I replaced them with a pair of EV PXM-12MP, which, because they are wedges, work better on small stages, on up. The EV have several orientations so they work as wedges up to a 90° back line, and can be stacked, either with both firing at 90° or the lower at 90° and the other on top of it as a wedge. They can also be mounted on poles too.

The EV are heavier and use more space than the ELIS.8, and are a closer match to the MF-10, volume and sound-wise. Now days I’d have a hard time deciding between them. Shedding some weight and having a smaller footprint in the MF-10 is appealing, but so is the ability to stack the EVs.

Bummer I received mine yesterday opened it this morning. The amp unit speaker buzzes. I looked closer at the speaker cabinet and there is a defect in the corner almost looks like it had been dropped? The package seemed sealed upon arrival and not damaged. I have contacted customer support at the store I bought it at "FlipSide" as well as Red Sound. Well guess we will see how customer support is. Very disappointed as it sounds great the passive speaker which I also ordered is free from defects and does not buzz
I have a good feeling about it. My money is on good support. Keep us posted?

I've used my Elis.8 bundle a few times now. I've been playing CLR(s) for quite a few years now and always felt they translated well from my studio monitors. My initial thought when I tried the Elis.8 at home was as many has pointed out that they sounded dark but I wanted to preserve judgement until I played loud and with the band. I played one rehearsal and one gig with them. I still thought they sounded too dark at volume and with the band. I've plaid with two different bands recently, in my own band there's me on guitar, bass player, drummer and singer so no other instruments in the same sonic space and even if it was a bit dark it was still working alright. Two days ago I rehearsed with another band where I'm subbing for another guitarist and we have a gig with that band tonight. Bigger constellation with me, another guitarist and also keyboards plus drums and bass. The other guitarist had a Marshall DSL 40 at last rehearsal and I had the two Elis.8 and I definitely felt more lost in the mix with how dark they sound to me. Yesterday I had rehearsal with my own band so before the rehearsal i started fiddling with out Output EQ. I cranked it up at home a fair bit - about 90dB according to my Apple Watch. My goal was to get in the vicinity as my studio monitors (Genelec 8341). I'm not obsessing over it sound exactly the same because I know they won't anyway. I just want to be able to dial in sounds at home and have them translate reasonably well at volume. Being a little bit darker is probably a good thing because Fletcher Munson will compensate. I started a little bit more aggressive so flatten the EQ a little bit and ended up with the following Output EQ

SCR-20221126-9h4.png

It sounded really balanced to me and I was happy with the result. Hopefully at the gig tonight I'll have the same feeling with the bigger constellation band.

The biggest thing for me otherwise with the Elis.8 compared to the CLR is that with the two Elis.8 it feels like I'm standing in the sound in a way where the CLR felt it was blasting at me. I have tried two CLRs but it feels its almost always to big to bring two CLRs and from memory I didn't get the same standing in the sound feeling compared to the Elis.8's. Another thing that's happened is that the bass player in my band commented the first time I played the Elis.8's is that he felt my dynamics improved compared to the CLR. His comment was that the CLR always just felt loud compared to the Elis.8.

Last edited:
I've used my Elis.8 bundle a few times now. I've been playing CLR(s) for quite a few years now and always felt they translated well from my studio monitors. My initial thought when I tried the Elis.8 at home was as many has pointed out that they sounded dark but I wanted to preserve judgement until I played loud and with the band. I played one rehearsal and one gig with them. I still thought they sounded too dark at volume and with the band. I've plaid with two different bands recently, in my own band there's me on guitar, bass player, drummer and singer so no other instruments in the same sonic space and even if it was a bit dark it was still working alright. Two days ago I rehearsed with another band where I'm subbing for another guitarist and we have a gig with that band tonight. Bigger constellation with me, another guitarist and also keyboards plus drums and bass. The other guitarist had a Marshall DSL 40 at last rehearsal and I had the two Elis.8 and I definitely felt more lost in the mix with how dark they sound to me. Yesterday I had rehearsal with my own band so before the rehearsal i started fiddling with out Output EQ. I cranked it up at home a fair bit - about 90dB according to my Apple Watch. My goal was to get in the vicinity as my studio monitors (Genelec 8341). I'm not obsessing over it sound exactly the same because I know they won't anyway. I just want to be able to dial in sounds at home and have them translate reasonably well at volume. Being a little bit darker is probably a good thing because Fletcher Munson will compensate. I started a little bit more aggressive so flatten the EQ a little bit and ended up with the following Output EQ

View attachment 111691

It sounded really balanced to me and I was happy with the result. Hopefully at the gig tonight I'll have the same feeling with the bigger constellation band.

The biggest thing for me otherwise with the Elis.8 compared to the CLR is that with the two Elis.8 it feels like I'm standing in the sound in a way where the CLR felt it was blasting at me. I have tried two CLRs but it feels its almost always to big to bring two CLRs and from memory I didn't get the same standing in the sound feeling compared to the Elis.8's. Another thing that's happened is that the bass player in my band commented the first time I played the Elis.8's is that he felt my dynamics improved compared to the CLR. His comment was that the CLR always just felt loud compared to the Elis.8.
(FYI I don't have permissions to view that attachment.)

It’s highly unlikely as I bought mine from Lyon and Healey, but I wonder if you ended up with the one I returned. They shifted inside the box during shipping and both got damaged in the corners. One was visibly very bad, but one was hardly dented at all. They replaced both for me. Never tested them so I can’t say if there was any internal damage. I was disappointed that there was only foam in the corners of the box, so if it moves like it did, it’s getting dented.

View attachment 111693

I’m giving that eq a try tomorrow. Thx for posting.

Update on the above as I played a gig last night with the bigger constellation band (drums, bass, keyboards, rhythm guitar and me on lead guitar). I was standing in front of the keyboard player and placed one Elis.8 speaker on the side of him and up within the drums on the other. I kept the EQ curve as above with a 4k peak and was very happy with the sound on stage. Never felt it sounded dark.

The sound guy made a comment that it was loud on stage with the Elis.8's but I told him I'll just settle in around the drums when we all start playing and he was happy with that :)

@rhummellh
@Sashman
@DallasGlenn2005
@theblogjammers

My order of Active/Passive Redsound Ellis 8 came in today. However, instead of getting an active / passive cabs I got two passive cabs. They screwed up my order. The question I have is does the system work with two passive cabs and how do you adjust the volume? Otherwise, I have to send it back for full refund.

What would you do, keep two passive cabs (any use) or send it back?

I bought from Cosmo Music Canada. I live in Toronto, Canada.

Really dissapointed.

P.S. I use the AX8 if it makes any difference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom