Recommendations on recording methods

Gtrguy12

What are everyones recomendations on recording the Axe FX 3? Is it better to record direct from the Axe Fx 3 to the computer via USB, or from the Axe FX 3 into an interface and then to the computer? I am new to this and dont really know the pros and cons of both methods.

Simpler is better. Recording the signal digitally directly from the AxeFX via USB is better than converting from digital to analog to digital through an interface. If you need another output from the AxeFX to use for monitoring while recording via USB, you can use an analog output for that purpose, but it's best to record via USB.

What are everyones recomendations on recording the Axe FX 3? Is it better to record direct from the Axe Fx 3 to the computer via USB, or from the Axe FX 3 into an interface and then to the computer? I am new to this and dont really know the pros and cons of both methods.
try both and decide what you prefer. it's easy.

I connect the Axe FX 3 to my Focusrite Clarett audio interface via SPDIF. That way I can record anything I want (in addition to guitar) without having to switch the interface in my DAW. Also allows live recording of drums, bass, guitars all at once which I do often during writing sessions and practice.

It all depends on your use case. If you want to use a sample rate of anything other than 48kHz, you will need a different interface. If you're planning to record voice or some other mic signal, you either need a mic preamp or a different audio interface. Otherwise, if you don't have any special requirements, just use the Axe directly.

Personally I use the Axe FX III as my interface for home recording. One benefit of doing so is that you get free reamping without having to change any cables. Simply create a track in your DAW that records input 5, which is the dry signal of the instrument/input1 jack, and set its output set to output 5 of the Axe FX. Now when you want to you reamp, all you have to do is set input 1 source to USB in the Axe FX (Setup -> I/O -> Audio) and press play. If you have an interface in between, you will need to change cables before and after reamping, or must create a more complex setup that uses different inputs and outputs for reamping and direct recording.

The only reason an interface is needed would be for more I/O options IMHO. Otherwise, the AxeIII has perfectly good converters for standalone use.

It all depends on your use case. If you want to use a sample rate of anything other than 48kHz, you will need a different interface. If you're planning to record voice or some other mic signal, you either need a mic preamp or a different audio interface. Otherwise, if you don't have any special requirements, just use the Axe directly.

Personally I use the Axe FX III as my interface for home recording. One benefit of doing so is that you get free reamping without having to change any cables. Simply create a track in your DAW that records input 5, which is the dry signal of the instrument/input1 jack, and set its output set to output 5 of the Axe FX. Now when you want to you reamp, all you have to do is set input 1 source to USB in the Axe FX (Setup -> I/O -> Audio) and press play. If you have an interface in between, you will need to change cables before and after reamping, or must create a more complex setup that uses different inputs and outputs for reamping and direct recording.

Actually, that depends on the DAW software you're using. Some DAWs will convert the input stream to the proper sample rate for the project automatically. I just did a test of Apple Logic X with the III and using USB, and I was able to record over USB into a project that was clocked at 44.1Khz. Actually, I did it by accident, but it came out perfectly. I can't speak with authority on any other software, but I do believe some of them perform sample rate conversion on the fly.

Some DAWs do sample rate conversion on the fly...but on the fly sample rate conversion is always inferior to offline sample rate conversion. And, any sample rate conversion is always inferior to no sample rate conversion :).

Some DAWs do sample rate conversion on the fly...but on the fly sample rate conversion is always inferior to offline sample rate conversion. And, any sample rate conversion is always inferior to no sample rate conversion :).

That's a popular theory, but my ears are telling me differently. It would be interesting to see someone prove those conversion assertions. Perhaps someone here has already done the testing? Anyway, I would think it would all come down to the conversion algorithms in the DAW and the speed of the processor. These days we certainly have adequate computing power, and I'm betting that sample rate conversion has come a long way from the early days.

With the laws of physics that govern the particular universe we inhabit, it is physically impossible for a non-integral sample rate conversion to match the fidelity of the original :). That's why quality of src is always measured by how much the signal is degraded.

Analog I/O between the III and audio interfaces works splendidly; this is how I manage mine (and a lot of other digital-type boxes). Depending upon the complexity of your setup, baby-sitting multiple digital signals can somewhat become an exercise in diminishing returns after a while. But again, your setup will dictate your recording "infrastructure." I work with about a 50/50 mix of digital and analog outboard and analog I/O works best for me. The difference is indiscernible in most cases and in my opinion not worth worrying about.

With the laws of physics that govern the particular universe we inhabit, it is physically impossible for a non-integral sample rate conversion to match the fidelity of the original :). That's why quality of src is always measured by how much the signal is degraded.

Didn’t understand the reference to ‘non integral sample rate’ unless you’re referring to the fact that 44.1 is not cleanly divisible into 48.

Here’s a thought - how do you render your mixes to be CD ready? That will also require a sample rate conversion, unless you’re recording at 44.1.

AxeFX Out1 L/R into an Allen & Heath ZED-R16 board. The board then interfaces via fire wire with my DAW (WinDoze machine running Cubase 10 Pro). I usually need multiple IO's (mics, drums, etc) for my projects so the board is necessary.

I go from the AxeIII 1/4" out, into a UA Apollo Twin, into my Macbook (Thunderbolt). Works great

I also have an Apollo Twin. If you're recording from the AXE III, you should probably use the XLR jacks on the rear into the XLR jacks on the rear of the Apollo Twin (line level). I would think you really don't want to have the AXE III going into the unbalanced input on the front. Stereo and noise rejection is the reason. Also, you don't want the Hi-Z input messing with your sound.

Besides simplicity, with the USB you have the advantage that you can record both the dry and wet signals. You can use the dry signal for reamping or for re-edit/comparison with future firmware upgrades.

I almost always end up reamping, for better integration of the guitar tone and effects with the final mix.

Anyway, as Chris said, try and decide you preference. It's easy.

I connect the Axe FX 3 to my Focusrite Clarett audio interface via SPDIF. That way I can record anything I want (in addition to guitar) without having to switch the interface in my DAW. Also allows live recording of drums, bass, guitars all at once which I do often during writing sessions and practice.
Very cool I was looking at one just recently so your real happy with the way it operates?

Here is a good reference that demonstrates how different SRCs degrade audio: http://src.infinitewave.ca
SRCs are clearly audible but some are worse than others. Personally I would never touch any kind of real time SRC. I quite like the SRC in Izotope RX for electric guitar recordings - it enables you to control the steepness and frequency of the anti aliasing filter. Because guitar speakers don't have a lot of high frequency content you can use a gentler filter slope from a lower frequency which results in a shorter impulse - you can adjust these settings by ear until you have the most transparent conversion you can hear.

Last edited:
I also have an Apollo Twin. If you're recording from the AXE III, you should probably use the XLR jacks on the rear into the XLR jacks on the rear of the Apollo Twin (line level). I would think you really don't want to have the AXE III going into the unbalanced input on the front. Stereo and noise rejection is the reason. Also, you don't want the Hi-Z input messing with your sound.

That makes sense. I should have clarified---I actually run the 1/4" into the back of the Apollo, Input 1 Line level. It works fine so far but I will probably just go with XLR moving forward

Back
Top Bottom