PRS shopping today - I picked one!

It is my opinion. You don't have to agree with it anymore than I have to agree that any PRS guitar is worth it's price tag.

As I've said in other threads they don't make you a better guitar player, they don't sound better and they are way less versatile than a good HSS or HSH super strat. That isn't a cliché that is a fact based on the pickups/configurations that PRS uses. I'm sure @Joe Bfstplk can tell you his very sweet looking super strat above is a far more versatile guitar than any of his PRS for probably about half the price.

Some people want to pay more for less and they are entitled to do so. For me there are too many great alternatives that hit the sweet spot - and I can pick/buy/build a couple of them for the price of one PRS.

What I always find interesting is the almost cult level status that PRS players ascribe to their guitars as if they are imbued with mystical properties. I've played many and they just didn't scream "Wow this $5000 guitar is worth every penny." If they had I would own a couple already.
My post was more at "my customized stuff and PRS guitars are both good". I have incorporated a few PRS wiring bits here and there. Dude makes wonderful guitars. But, so do others, with a few pickup/wiring mods.... :)

I am also non-fanatically positive about the Grateful Dead. :p

I am also non-fanatically positive about the Grateful Dead. :p

Don't get me started! I have already exceeded my rant quota.

Season 1 Reaction GIF by Rick and Morty

It is my opinion.
Final word and I’m done.

Uhg what a 21st century post modern cop out. Opinions based in fallacy is really much ado about nothing. There are PRS that are every bit as versatile as a HSS and HSH. I own one. So it’s not a fact.

…and they did make me a better guitarist.😉

Also this has nothing to do with “fanatics”. I also would posit the cultish behavior is on con side.
This guitar was $2500 new. Swamp Ash body, Maple neck, Rosewood fretboard, Trem and any F’n pick up combo you could want. IMG_1479.jpeg

if it does have anything to do with fanaticism, I love that this guy is a fanatic.

IMG_0892.jpeg

Uhg what a 21st century post modern cop out. Opinions based in fallacy is really much ado about nothing.

So that's a load of BS. Your opinion is that your PRS was worth what you paid for it. Congrats! My opinion is they are overpriced when you consider the "unemotionally attached", stripped down to quantifiable criteria value proposition. What exactly makes your opinion in this case more valid than mine?

If you think your guitar makes you a better guitar player then I'm glad you have one. I have tried nearly every model of PRS (besides the new Tele). I recorded with them, played them straight into some expensive boutique amps, etc. I own several HSH and HSS super strats. Not one of the PRS that I played could come anywhere close to the tone versatility in one of my super strats.

But hey I am very glad you love your guitar considering what you paid for it!

What guitar is that that was $2500 new?
PRS Swamp Ash 513. They did a semi limited run of them in 2010. I got it at the PRS Experience that year. I was never 100% sure how it worked, but at the experience PRS would have new never left the factory guitars for dealers to choose and a person would buy it from the dealers at the factory. Ironically I think this one was through a Guitar Center. There were possible discounts to be had, but these guitars made it out to the dealers afterwards and I’m pretty sure they sold for the same price or close. I haven’t check Reverb lately, but they pop up and sell for about this money.

At the 2016 Experience I purchased a very nice limited Custom 24 from a dealer from Indiana. I live in PA. It was priced normal. I think the advantage was in the selection and choice and not really price.

Last edited:
What exactly makes your opinion in this case more valid than mine?
Because if you think $2500 with hard shell case for an American made guitar I posted is overpriced than you’re out of touch. However as you bounce back and forth, in the final analysis it’s not about price. I think people are seriously getting confused by the rapid change in the market and the glut of lower cost Asian guitars. I have a Schecter “super strat” type guitar I purchased in 2021 for $1249 new. It’s now selling for $1649 new from the same place. I got it because I wanted a Floyd and I was willing to accept the areas it is lacking from my PRS’s. It’s a nice guitar and perfectly playable but not as nice as my PRS Custom 24 with solid rosewood neck and real Gabon Ebony fretboard. You may laugh because I say real Gabon Ebony, but there’s a difference. First it’s solid black with no stain and the grain is so freaking tight that it’s smooth as butter. The Schecter has an “Ebony” fretboard, but it’s no where as nice.

As with anything in a non fixed market, we pay the most for that final 10% of quality and attention to detail. What I’m getting at is I believe the Asian market is not a true free market, but fixed and is going through phases since the reset that will eventually have us paying as much for these guitars as we are for American now. Mind you with the help of scum Western power brokers. The sad thing is the American made guitars will be even more or not at all. Also, show me an American guitar that is of equal quality that is priced so much less than a PRS. I look at EBMM Petrucci high end models and they’re in the same price range or more. Same with Gibson and Fender. Their so called custom shop is just the level of quality as regular higher end Core PRS. I flip my lid when I see Strats for $7000 that look like they have been dragged from the back of a car. Relicing has got to be the biggest joke. That I admit is an opinion.

The fact you couldn’t get a good sound with your boutique amps and all might say as much about your playing than the quality of a PRS. This isn’t meant to be a slam, but just an observation that any unbiased person would have to see it’s sense.

What really sticks in my craw about PRS haters is this imaginary idea that we’re all rich and don’t know the worth of something. It’s so F’n covetous, arrogant and deluded. I played the same $450 1980 Ibanez guitar for almost 20 years before I worked my ass off going to school and finding a half decent job to afford a PRS when I was 31. Since that time I went though the whole GAS thing and owned enough guitars to know just as much as anyone and I know what millions of others know…and no they’re not Dentists, Doctors or Lawyers. They’re professional players who like having a guitar that’s in tune when they grab it to play or record.

Finally, this idea that PRS owners only like or defend or whatever you’re trying to say is because they’re needing to justify the price in their mind is utter silliness. Every red blooded man knows the sting of what something costs fades quite quickly and the smile every time they hold or drive or play whatever it was takes over and that’s all that matters. My only regret is I can’t play all 3 at the same time.😄

Because if you think $2500 with hard shell case for an American made guitar I posted is overpriced than you’re out of touch.
No I build my own guitars (all super strat style partscasters), and I have some very nice vintage instruments. I also have a few Japanese Ibanez's and a Canadian guitar made by Godin. I own one Schecter Sun Valley Shredder, and 1 Sterling 7 String Majesty.
It’s a nice guitar and perfectly playable but not as nice as my PRS Custom 24 with solid rosewood neck and real Gabon Ebony fretboard.
Yeah that's the $5000 range I was talking about.
The fact you couldn’t get a good sound with your boutique amps and all might say as much about your playing than the quality of a PRS. This isn’t meant to be a slam, but just an observation that any unbiased person would have to see it’s sense.
You love to put words in my mouth. I never said it didn't sound good - I said it didn't sound any better and was not as versatile. As far my playing ability that might be the one subject I am way too humble about. You are right I suck ;)
What really sticks in my craw about PRS haters is this imaginary idea that we’re all rich and don’t know the worth of something. It’s so F’n covetous, arrogant and deluded. I played the same $450 1980 Ibanez guitar for almost 20 years before I worked my ass off going to school and finding a half decent job to afford a PRS when I was 31.
If you were any good back then you would have sounded just as fabulous on your Ibanez. Some guitar players can pick up any guitar and sound amazing. Also the upper fret access on my 2 Ibanez shredders and my Gibson M3 blow away the upper fret access on any PRS I have ever picked up. Their necks get pretty chunky up there.
Finally, this idea that PRS owners only like or defend or whatever you’re trying to say is because they’re needing to justify the price in their mind is utter silliness.
And yet every time I point out my opinion that PRS has an inferior value proposition you go off the rails. Nice display of rational, objective, unemotional attachment!

You love, I mean really, really f'n LOVE the f out of your PRS guitars. Noted a long time ago. You are entitled to your opinion and I already said I'm glad you love your very expensive guitars. You think they make you a better player that's great. I have known many guitar players that think if they don't have a PRS they don't have status on stage or anywhere else. Even though they can't really play that well and it would have been better to invest in some lessons, but hey they are flexing with their PRS up there looking the part (whatever that part is perceived to be).

I derive my status by the way I get around the fret board not the guitar I'm playing. I am not emotionally attached or invested in any of my guitars - they are tools - and for such a tool versatility rules for me.

Thanks for sharing I learned so much and will begin my search for a $5K-$6K PRS immediately!

Edit: Funny thing just came to mind. None of my favorite players, the ones that I think are probably the best out there right now (top 5 to 7 players) play a PRS. Paul probably just hasn't offered them the right endorsement deal yet.

Last edited:
I think its safe to say you guys just have a difference in opinion. Its all good. Some guitars cost less that play awesome ; some cost way more they play awesome. lots of in between. I think we all can agree we just love guitars. Each to his own. Both you dudes have valid points no doubt.

I think its safe to say you guys just have a difference in opinion. Its all good. Some guitars cost less that play awesome ; some cost way more they play awesome. lots of in between. I think we all can agree we just love guitars. Each to his own. Both you dudes have valid points no doubt.

I pointed out the "everyone is entitled to their opinion" thing like 20 posts ago in multiple threads on PRS's less than stellar value prop. But PRS owners get scrappy and emotional when you belittle their girlfriends. I don't date my guitars I'm married. :p

I pointed out the "everyone is entitled to their opinion" thing like 20 posts ago in multiple threads on PRS's less than stellar value prop. But PRS owners get scrappy and emotional when you belittle their girlfriends. I don't date my guitars I'm married. :p
I have no heated loyalty. I just happen to love mine. However, I have other brand guitars and play and love them as well!

All personal preference to me. I don't sweat the costs of any of them whether cheap or high dollar. I just love guitars and playing them! 🎸😎🎸

Back
Top Bottom