Programming your own scenes into blank presets

im a new FX8 Mark II owner and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to create my own scenes and presets. I’ve watched several YouTube videos but they only describe messing around with the FX parameters and plugging the unit in. Also, I seem to have trouble running the FX8 thru my amps FX loop because a lot of the modular/timed fx presets sounded very muddy on my amp’s drive channel, and I thought they were already in the ‘post’ section of the pedal. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I’ve not found this unit very user friendly in the 12 hours I’ve had it, and am about ready to sell it brand new...

Have you read the manual? First thing y out need to do is read up on "4 cable" setup and optimize your levels. After that is done I recommend using fx8 edit by hooking up a computer via USB to get your presets and scenes setup. Once you understand how it works you can operate on the unit itself without the computer if needed but it's much easier via computer

What amp are you using here?

Are you set-up in 4cm?

Did you go through the factory presets at all?

You set-up what FX are “Pre” (before) & “Post” (After the FX loop) in each preset.

In a preset you can go to each scene (1-8) & “Save” what you want On/Off in that specific Scene. The 8-Scene buttons are already displayed in each preset, but you need to go into each one & tell the device what you want to happen & then SAVE the preset every time you edit it in each scene.

On the Footswitch page you assign (Drag & Drop) what FX Block Or Scene you want to show up on the read out screen of the preset.

This is how I assign mine & like them to look in the final form. I like my Scenes set on the bottom w/ a “Filter” Boost on button #4. Then I only assign the blocks that I might want to access during a gig in each preset. There are other FX blocks being used that I don’t have showing up on the main screen because I don’t need them to. FYI
Photo%20Aug%2019%2C%201%2022%2039%20PM.jpg

This example of my “Heavy” Preset shows what’s going on in Scene #1. The drive pedal, Delay & Reverb are all saved to an ON position w/ the Chorus set to OFF & No Filter boost.

Again, I do all of this on the FX8 Edit software.....

Each page is very specific as to what you do & or set-up.

Downloading a few “User” presets is also a great learning tool, but 1st you need to figure out if everything is plugged in correctly for your amp & set-up.

It takes a little bit of time to understand the layout & format. You should use FX8 Edit to start off, it will give you a visual idea of what’s going on.

Once you’re in 4cm & have the basics set-up, creating Scenes is easy on the editor.

If you are actually in 4-Cable mode & the Delay & Reverb seem OFF on your drive channel, double check that those FX are set as “Post”. Some of the Factory Presets are set for “Pre” only & maybe you started with one of these.

There are also some great threads here that will help you, but the manual is really your friend at all times.

If you’re in a Michigan, I’d love to help you out. I can & will also help you off-Line through e-mail or PM’s as well. ;)

I’ll post a thread of mine that has a lot of good information & examples.....but the best advice I can give is to just take your time.....& once you get it....you’ll really get it!

Good luck on your tone quest.

X

These may be of some help:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/xs-fx8-cover-band-presets.124828/#post-1546232

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/blown-away-by-the-fx8-mkii-xs-journey.120464/Day

Last edited:
This is very nice by X-Mann!

I will make some changes based on this.

When you have read the manual and think you have it all, re-read it again.

Read X-Mann's journey, it is very helpful - most of my set up is based on his.

Page 35 of the manual is very helpful to distinguish footswitch setup from effect configuration and effects set up.

This is very nice by X-Mann!

I will make some changes based on this.

When you have read the manual and think you have it all, re-read it again.

Read X-Mann's journey, it is very helpful - most of my set up is based on his.

Page 35 of the manual is very helpful to distinguish footswitch setup from effect configuration and effects set up.
Thanks a lot & Welcome to the Forum Neuroop!

I really shouldn’t be giving advice on tech stuff out to anyone actually!!! :oops: But I’m VERY passionate about Fractal Gear based on what its done for me! Team Fractal turned me onto the AX8 1st.....& that taught me what real tube amp brands to try (Thanks for that Fractal) :rolleyes:.....Then that led me to the FX8.....& THAT changed my guitar playing world for the better! :cool:

I just don’t want to see someone possibly miss out on finding the gear that could Rock their world!

90% of what I learned came from the guys here on the Forum, Mark Day, Neil Zaza, Larry Mitchel & or the manual anyways.....:p

Plus, I’ve met some amazing people & guitar players from getting involved here......So bring it on & I’ll try to help out.....\m/

Peace! X

Back
Top Bottom