Potential New Rig... thoughts?

Wow, thank you so much for the warm welcome and for all the tips you mentioned :) I will take a look at the CLR NEO 1x12's.
Should I go for an active or passive Atomic CLR 1x12? (aka: better to use matrix amp with axe fx over active monitor?) I wouldn't get a wedge since I'd want to put the 6U rack ontop of the FRFR monitor.

They don't sell the passive anymore.

You can use the wedge on its side, it has rubber feet for that, put the rack on top of its flat surface that way.

Wow, thank you so much for the warm welcome and for all the tips you mentioned :) I will take a look at the CLR NEO 1x12's.
Should I go for an active or passive Atomic CLR 1x12? (aka: better to use matrix amp with axe fx over active monitor?) I wouldn't get a wedge since I'd want to put the 6U rack ontop of the FRFR monitor.

Active speakers mean no power amp in the rack. Especially given that the AX3 is 3U, this could mean the difference between a 4U and a 6U rack. Also, while wedges are great for hearing yourself at gigs, don't forget that they can easily be turned on their side to stack stuff on top. You can even stack up two to get the rack at eye level, though then you lose the benefit of separation I mentioned previously.

They don't sell the passive anymore.

You can use the wedge on its side, it has rubber feet for that, put the rack on top of its flat surface that way.
The video on their site mentions that is a square version as well... are you saying there's only the wedge now? :( using it on its side is gonna bother my OCD lol

I was hoping for something like this below...
fe3zhh.jpg

You're most welcome

The CLR now only comes as an active wedge, which is IMO a perfect FRFR.
1) being active you know that the power amp and speaker are perfectly matched/tune to be the best FRFR it can be
2) it's very light and easy to carry
3) you can use it as a wedge, or stood up like a cab or as a free field (on a pole, it has a build in socket for that)

Personally I love the wedge format and use the CLR more as a wedge than as a cab, as the wedge directs the sound towards your ears instead of as your calfs.

If you want to check up on the CLRs I wrote an in depth review of them when they were first released, lots of good info in that thread from many of the most respected member of this forum.
I like them as much now as I did back then., and just for the record I have no affiliation with Atomic Amps.
Search on my name or CLR and "sonic bliss" and you'll find it.

Tomer,
BTW - 2 CLR NEO's would cost you less than the Matrix and the Mesa cab, so you'd be out less money and have a much better (IMO) sounding, more flexible system, and a stereo system at that !!!
Then you'd really get the most of all the lovely reverbs and delays in the Axe III and you backing tracks would sound their best too.

You're most welcome

The CLR now only comes as an active wedge, which is IMO a perfect FRFR.
1) being active you know that the power amp and speaker are perfectly matched/tune to be the best FRFR it can be
2) it's very light and easy to carry
3) you can use it as a wedge, or stood up like a cab or as a free field (on a pole, it has a build in socket for that)

Personally I love the wedge format and use the CLR more as a wedge than as a cab, as the wedge directs the sound towards your ears instead of as your calfs.

If you want to check up on the CLRs I wrote an in depth review of them when they were first released, lots of good info in that thread from many of the most respected member of this forum.
I like them as much now as I did back then., and just for the record I have no affiliation with Atomic Amps.
Search on my name or CLR and "sonic bliss" and you'll find it.
How well does the CLR NEO do at lower bedroom volumes? I have a 9 month old so I don't blast it as of late. If i do go for this monitor... it does make my rack a 4U now... 3U axe fx and 1U power conditioner. My ideal is to get that 4U rack on TOP of the speaker...(again... im semi OCD)

Tomer,
BTW - 2 CLR NEO's would cost you less than the Matrix and the Mesa cab, so you'd be out less money and have a much better (IMO) sounding, more flexible system, and a stereo system at that !!!
Then you'd really get the most of all the lovely reverbs and delays in the Axe III and you backing tracks would sound their best too.
2 NEO CLR's would be $2K right? (vs. $700 Mesa Cab & $1k Matrix GT1000X)

The video on their site mentions that is a square version as well... are you saying there's only the wedge now? :( using it on its side is gonna bother my OCD lol

Yup, only the active wedge is available now. It's kind of the best choice anyway IMO.

You can use it on its side like this:
JGLwwYb.png

The grill is rotatable if the sideways logo bothers you. If you place rack units on top, I don't think you'll notice that it's on its side :p

can you move the atomic logo on the grill? If so, then that would mute my issue about putting it on its side in order to put a 4U on top of it :)

Ax8%20Atomic%20CLRs_zps7fg4nxj1.jpg

How well does the CLR NEO do at lower bedroom volumes? I have a 9 month old so I don't blast it as of late. If i do go for this monitor... it does make my rack a 4U now... 3U axe fx and 1U power conditioner. My ideal is to get that 4U rack on TOP of the speaker...(again... im semi OCD)

The CLR sound truly awesome even at bedroom volumes - much better than a regular guitar cab, trust me.
I have a 10 month old and can wail (quietly) on my Axe II + CLR rig while she sleeps in the next room.

Yes your rig would be 4U like you mention. Perfect size, and much more easy to carry than a 6U when you go to your friends house.

I dug up the review for you if you are interested
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/atomic-clr-sonic-bliss-in-depth-review.71961/

Yup, only the active wedge is available now. It's kind of the best choice anyway IMO.

You can use it on its side like this:
JGLwwYb.png

The grill is rotatable if the sideways logo bothers you. If you place rack units on top, I don't think you'll notice that it's on its side :p
haha nice! you just answered my question... if you can move the grill... im SET! thank ya
The CLR sound truly awesome even at bedroom volumes - much better than a regular guitar cab, trust me.
I have a 10 month old and can wail (quietly) on my Axe II + CLR rig while she sleeps in the next room.

Yes your rig would be 4U like you mention. Perfect size, and much more easy to carry than a 6U when you go to your friends house.

I dug up the review for you if you are interested
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/atomic-clr-sonic-bliss-in-depth-review.71961/
Excellent! I will check out your extensive review... thanks again :)

Any suggestions on a shallow 4U Rack that is also all black and minimal?
I was looking at this one:
upload_2018-1-31_13-47-39.png

....but I dont care for the logo and indents all around it. (Looking for something solid all around it) thanks in advance!

View attachment 44297

....but I dont care for the logo and indents all around it. (Looking for something solid all around it) thanks in advance!
I have that same one that I have slung around various jam environments.

It is holding up very well after almost 4 years.

2x12 cab and wireless seem a bit much for playing just in ones bedroom....
yep... we've moved on from that now :) I am now looking to go with a 1x12 NEO CLR FRFR instead... and no wireless (good quality cable instead while jamming in the bedroom)

View attachment 44297

SKB is the usual other choice vs. Gator. They have a couple 4U rack sizes.

But this is all getting pretty off topic from the Axe-Fx III now... :p

yep... we've moved on from that now :) I am now looking to go with a 1x12 NEO CLR FRFR instead... and no wireless (good quality cable instead while jamming in the bedroom)
You mentioned earlier that you didn’t want a wedge..that is the only configuration the NEO CLR comes in...many of us here who have also owned CLRS myself included, have chosen The XiTone MBritt 1x12 active cab, that has several advantages over the CLR (@bluetooth, different FR modes etc.
https://xitonecabs.com/product/mbritt/

Back
Top Bottom