Poll - please vote !!

How do you power your AXE NOW or plan to power it when you got it?

• Total voters
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

I've purchased the Axe-Fx Ultra less then a month ago and I'm building a bank of 10 presets in my ART-X15 foot controller (which has 2 expression pedals) I'll most probally get the Axe-Fx midi controller when it becomes available. :cool:

I play in a jazz/rock band, so I need a bunch of clean to heavy sounds at my disposal. For a number of years I've been using a Roland GP-100 preamp into a Mesa 50/50 power amp and 2 MC-90 Mesa half open back cabinets. (I have 2, but usually just use one because we don't play really loud and 1/12 cuts it well.

It goes without saying that the Axe-Fx basically DESTROYS the Roland :lol: (but I'll keep it as a back up if I should ever need it, hopefully not)

I run the Ultra into the Mesa 50/50 with the cabinet sims off and the amp sims on (sounds better) Although many presets sound great with the cab sims on (the sound is fuller in many cases) But for now I leave the cab sims off globally.

I intend to keep the Mesa power amp and cabinets, I've been quite happy with them and I swear by the Mesa 50/50 power amp, it NEVER failed me and although there may be better power amps and cabinets then I'm using, I think it sounds great with the Axe-Fx Ultra.

I talked to Tom King on the phone and decided to go on the waiting list for the Atomic FR to get the full range and capabilities that the Axe-Fx can provide :D

So, I've decided to try the Atomic FRFR and still have a guitar power amp and speakers at my disposal. So after I get my sounds together with my existing setup, I can do it all over again when the Atomic FR becomes available! :roll:

Axe-Fx --> Mesa 50/50 --> a pair of 2x12 custom made. One with two G25 greenbacks and the other with V30's. In addition i use XLR to PA at gigs(OUT2). Direct in studio.

dongrosh said:
there´s an interesting discussion with G66 and me - please help with your voting
to decide some things for the near future.

hey can you enable vote changing, I have changed my set up lol

I'm now using a Carvin 1540L power amp into (2) 4x12 cabs

rsf1977 said:
dongrosh said:
there´s an interesting discussion with G66 and me - please help with your voting
to decide some things for the near future.

hey can you enable vote changing, I have changed my set up lol

I'm now using a Carvin 1540L power amp into (2) 4x12 cabs

I would request a change also.
Went from Verve 12MAs to (2) 2x12 Bogner Cabs (power amp is in flux)

Can't Vote -- Channel 2 out is a VHT 2/50/2 connected to a Jenkins 2X12 with two G12's. Sometimes 2, Mesa 1X12 Thiele's. Channel 1 direct to house. Patches have a loop for the amp, IR's for the house.

Took a while to get here (couple years, I guess). Started with a Standard from the waiting list, Upgraded to an Ultra and still have a powered JBL and QSC in their factory boxes.

If I'm feeling weak, I'll just take the Ultra/Power conditioner and the 12" FBT Verve out.

Jenks

sorry guys, can´t change the voting system for given votes -

but o added two new possibilities -

changing from A;p/Cab to FRFR and via versa.

i'm using the same FRFR system I've used with all of my pre-AxeFX rigs. I've used it with N.I. Guitar Rig and Line 6 gear...

I have two JBL JRX 125 speakers powered by a power amp that pushes 1000W on each channel (stereo). I never turn it up more than half way, but I've been told by several sound guys that it is better to have your power amp not working near the max to really keep down extra distortion, etc.

The speakers each have 2 15" speakers and a tweeter. There is a built-in crossover in each speaker that divides the lows to the bottom 15", the mids to the middle 15", and the highs on the tweeter horn. I really don't know how their sound quality matches up with other speakers, I haven't had the time or money to test other brands. They are JBL, so I hoped they would be good quality, and they are big, so there's lots of headroom.

I am not the only one using the FRFR system at gigs though. there is a mixer before my power amp that I feed my AxeFX into. then my keyboard player also feeds into the mixer, and we each run our mics through some TC Helicon vocal effects units and run that into the mixer as well.

So basically, we don't need monitors because behind us on stage we've got two tower speakers pushing our total mix. We also split every channel before it hits the mixer and send that to the house mixing board, so the sound person can mix it as they see fit. We dont crank up our two speakers on stage too loud so we don't mess with the venue sound mix. We want it to be good and clear, but not deafening to us or the audience. Also, I came to the conclusion that if we don't push too much volume from the stage, then the mix we are sending out of our own speakers will have less of a chance of sounding bad in different venues.

I don't know if any of this helps, but I've been playing guitar through FRFR for about seven years, so if anyone has questions, I can share whatever I know.
Either way, the AxeFX is the best.

live: i am running the axe fx in front of a port city pearl head and a 1x12 os wave cabinet. i tried to go the frfr route but it just didn't work for my situation. this axe fx/port city combination sounds like a dream and works for any musical situation that i play in

studio: axe fx direct into my mbox 2 pro and sounds amazing!

dongrosh said:
Hi., no secrets - it´s the question if there is a market for VERY good traditional cabs.
IMO there are a lot players which like the combination of two 1x12 or and 2x12 Cab
and an good poweramp.

FRFR is not for everyone.

So i´m in the situation to organize an EU-Distributer for Portcity Cabs which are
the best cabs on the market IMO.

http://www.portcityamps.com/product_main.html

Of course i first asked G66 cause IMO that will be a good in their portfolio to have
great Guitarcabs for those Players and they doesn´t have Matchless anymore.

I have orders for Portcity for minimum 20 cabs after one pm on Hughracks and a lot
of players in the EU would be happy to get these cabs for an reasonable price.

BTW, if you see the look of the Portcitycabs i def thought - wow, doesn´t it look like:

So, G66 think that there could be an conflict with the Atomic FRFR - which i do not think.
Now i just wanted to know: Is there an market in the EU for traditionell Guitarcabs and AXE-FX. That´s all.....

If G66 didn´t want to do that i think about doing that by myself although i have enough work...

Suggestions welcome, wilfried

Wait!
Did I understand correctly? So Port city cabs would be available in europe..
Because I'm very interested in buying one if the price is reasonable!!

First I tried Mesa Boogie 20/20 into 112 and 210 cabs
Then direct to an RCF ART310a.
Now ART SLA2 into 112 and 210 AND direct to an RCF ART310a!

Still haven't nailed it though.

tissinakkikaivo said:
dongrosh said:
Hi., no secrets - it´s the question if there is a market for VERY good traditional cabs.
IMO there are a lot players which like the combination of two 1x12 or and 2x12 Cab
and an good poweramp.

FRFR is not for everyone.

So i´m in the situation to organize an EU-Distributer for Portcity Cabs which are
the best cabs on the market IMO.

http://www.portcityamps.com/product_main.html

Of course i first asked G66 cause IMO that will be a good in their portfolio to have
great Guitarcabs for those Players and they doesn´t have Matchless anymore.

I have orders for Portcity for minimum 20 cabs after one pm on Hughracks and a lot
of players in the EU would be happy to get these cabs for an reasonable price.

BTW, if you see the look of the Portcitycabs i def thought - wow, doesn´t it look like:

So, G66 think that there could be an conflict with the Atomic FRFR - which i do not think.
Now i just wanted to know: Is there an market in the EU for traditionell Guitarcabs and AXE-FX. That´s all.....

If G66 didn´t want to do that i think about doing that by myself although i have enough work...

Suggestions welcome, wilfried

Wait!
Did I understand correctly? So Port city cabs would be available in europe..
Because I'm very interested in buying one if the price is reasonable!!

Hello. Daniel from Port City here. I was just checking in. I would love to talk to someone (distributor) to get my cabs in the EU market. I get literally almost a dozen emails per week from those wanting my cabs. Very few are getting them due to the costs of shipping. If someone was able to get a pallet or two of cabs it would save a ton of money and everyone would win. Please contact me at daniel@portcityamps.com to work out the details. Thanks.

Daniel
Port City Amps

Hi, im still a new user but i've found my direct tones sound better when i dialed my tone in thru a real cab, that's what ive been hearing for 16 yrs. the Axe FX is the best of both.

I run both but mainly use FR, I like to give myself the option of running both FR and Guitar cab depending on how I feel.

I wonder what percentage of people are using neither and calling it FRFR? It's worth reiterating that going direct into your sound card and monitoring through headphones is not FRFR. I only state the obvious because there is no option other than Cab, FR or a recent switch between the two. And I'd be willing to bet that doesn't fit everyone.

Hi,
I was used to drive the Axe with a pair of QSC, but then I've switched to my old Vetta power section, more "guitar related" tone to my ears.
One year ago I've tested my JCM900-1960 4x12" cab and decided to buy a cheap Behringer poweramp to test the new solution: I'm still using it but searching for a better amp at the moment (will test a velocity 300 or a Matrix in a while)

Angelo

Back
Top Bottom