Poll - please vote !!

How do you power your AXE NOW or plan to power it when you got it?

• Total voters
Recently made the switch from a mesa 2:90 w/ recto 4x12 slant cab to two Atomic Powered Wedges. Loving it so far.

Does this give you enough power and tube amp feel. im thinking about going with the powered wedges too?
James

+1 I'm wondering this as well!

I played in a loud hard rock cover band for over a year with my Atomic active wedge and never had a problem with either. With v.11 on my Ultra that 'feel' got even better and now with the II I'm really happy. That being said, everyone has different preferences/needs, so maybe check around to see if anyone locally has a wedge you can try out.

FRFR system is the definitive solution for me! I don't gig anymore. I live in an appartement, so I can't crank a poweramp through a 4X12. Playing the Axe fx II with my Atomic powercab allow me to play at any volume and get the same tone. I can actually get crank Plexi tone at ultra low volume, with the tube feel. No other system can get me there, none!! But on stage, I would probably go the Power amp and cab way, just because it looks so cool!!

Yes, what's with the polarization. I use it both ways equally. For practice, I run in stereo with the left channell into my Ibanez Troubador FRFR and the right channel into my Fender Blues Junior tube amp. For live use on stage I run the fx send out to my Peavey Bandit solid state amp but I also run the XLRs direct to the board. That's why I run FRFR on the left and combo amp on the right for practice so I know what sounds I'm sending the board in comparison to what I'm hearing.

I didn't/couldn't vote. Sorry.
same.

I run my Axe-FX II into a Mosvalve MV-962 solid state power amp, then out to two Marshall 4x12 cabs (one with V30s and one with 75s).

I'd like to eventually upgrade to a better power amp but not sure what I'd like. I got the Mosvalve for about $120 used. :)

Hey just curious what you used before the Matrix? I'm wondering how big of an improvement certain amps would be over something like the Mosvalve.

i was using a Carvin DCM3000L. It was ok, but the Matrix sounds much richer then the Carvin. The Carvin sounded rather thin and lifeless when compared side by side, but if you never had the taste test opportunity you may be just fine with a Carvin, a lot of guys like them

I use FRFR for the Axe FX Ultra. I was considering doing a little amp/cab stuff as well, since I miss something about the way the speakers are pumped by certain amps. The trouble is, I don't understand all the issues well enough to zero in on something practical. Probably certain sounds work one way, and certain don't. I notice that one person is running the two Axe FX channels, one into mixer/pa, and the other into a guitar amp. That's something I've wanted to do. If only there was a way to have a stereo set up that had routings that felt like a guitar amp, and routings that felt more like the FRFR thing. I guess people run from the FX send, right?

Ideal processor placement: before and after amp, <i>not</i> in amp's fx loop

Then there's the "running with amp sim but not cab sim" through the entire signal flow of the amp, right out the speaker level outs, but fine people have constructed a conversion to change that signal into a headphone level signal. They call this a "headphone adapter/attenuator" for the power amplifier.

Headphone Adaptor for Power Amplifiers

In my sadly uneducated mind I tend to think its more ideal to grab the signal AFTER the power amp is done with it, and it would be great to have a stereo version of that, and by the option of the aforementioned conversion from cab signal into headphone signal, choose to send one or both channels to either or both of the Axe FX and/or a guitar cab. Now that's what I would like, a guitar amp whose primary purpose was not so much tone manipulation, but providing the signal flow to get the best of both worlds, natural driven speakers, and Axe FX cab sims..... Simultaneously, In Stereo, and switchable, without having to pay for two guitar amp rigs.

That way I have a setup that works in my room with my pc, and at rehearsals, and clubs. Oh, but I forgot, its only a dream.

Last edited:
Used to have mesa 2:90 and started with vertical 2x12 mesa recto cab, then got second 3/4 tuned 2X12 cab, then tried a roadking 4x12 stereo cab. sold all of it and just pulled trigger on atomic passive wedge to be followed by purchase of atomic 50/50 amp. I'm hoping this will be the last stop in my quest.

i was using a Carvin DCM3000L. It was ok, but the Matrix sounds much richer then the Carvin. The Carvin sounded rather thin and lifeless when compared side by side, but if you never had the taste test opportunity you may be just fine with a Carvin, a lot of guys like them

Thanks man! Good to hear that. I bet it would be a huge improvement over the Mosvalve.

I have an Atomic 50/50 running stereo into two Avatar 1-12's. The cabs are loaded with a Scumback H55 and an ASW KTS60. Couldn't be happier.

I'm using my Axe-Fx2 with a SS power amp (Rocktron Velocity 300) and a guitar cab (Mesa Boogie 2x12). Is it coloring the sound? Yes it is...but then again, there are no rules set in stone when it comes to sound. I just dial in what sounds good...using my ears and not my eyes.

When it comes to direct to hard drive recording, I will no doubt need to change a few things so I'm getting a true representation of the tones. But for general guitar playing amusement, this set up is working just fine.

My setup is Axe Fx 2 -->Fryette 2.90.2 --> 2 MB Cabs with G12K 100's. But I also have a Mackie HD121 So I can hear what the audience should be hearing which is fed from an XLR splitter which also goes to FOH. I then direct the sound guy from there.

My amplification is not totally FRFR, but I'm really satisfied of it.

I'm using a Rocktron Velocity 150 (one of the Velocity models w/ the "Inductance" setting for each channel) that feed a pair of Yorkville Y115.

I'm using a guitar synth in this system too. AX100 + Nord Modular G2 Engine.

My G2 Engine is used to synths tones, and for audio effects. I'm using it for vocoding my vocals from my guitar tones, or, from my synths tones controlled by guitar-synth.

So, I need the most FR system as possible, but with 15" of Y115, I have more bass w/out any boomy effect.
Since this post, I totally changed my amp system. I replaced my duet Velocity+2*Y115 by a pair of M10-2PLUS dB Technologies. I use it since 2010 and it's a real pleasure to play. One of my favorite things with its wedges is they have a LINK out that earing signal directly from there inputs. So I just have to connect both LINK outs to FOH and then tweak the level onstage by only Level of M10-2PLUS. That permit me to have level of my choice on stage without any modification of level to FOH. To wedging rest of my band, while stage size is needing it, I just place a third wedge in front of me (between my pair of M10) to monitor only bass, drums, and vocals. It's just the perfect rig for my own use.

Back
Top Bottom