Pickup tone match

why not join the club and give up the tone of your Carvin ct324? that's a model we don't have in the vault yet. it takes a couple minutes to do the tonematch thing, but it is worth it in my opinion. having tried a bunch of virtual guitars via tonematch, i am much closer to understanding what types of pickups/guitar tones i like.

Can we do an acoustic? - say my Martin D28 w B-Band dual system or my 79' Taylor 555 12 string modded with Taylor expression system???

I did a quick test with my Takamine. I captured with it's direct out & a large diaphragm mic, mixed it to my liking, then used that as a reference mp3. I matched it to my Parker's piezo...very impressive results. Can't wait to try it out at practice...bet I'll get a few head turns! lol

I'll try and do the same with my friends Martin soon as I can arrange it.

I imagine you would need to have a neutral type pickup (piezo) for this to work somewhat reliably.

I haven't {yet} experimented but I'm guessing the closer you get to what you're aiming for the better the results. So if you're looking for a strat sound from a humbucker guitar, if you can split your humbuckers on your guitar you're likely to get a closer match. But this is purely a guess at this point.

Your best bet for an electric->acoustic is to do a tone match with a dry piezo recording, then run it through a Fishman Aura IR. But even then, the strings are different and you're not working with a real piezo, so it'll still sound off. Even a top quality piezo (Fishman Matrix Infinity) with an Aura IR does not sound exactly like a real acoustic, but it comes close.

...I'm guessing the closer you get to what you're aiming for the better the results. So if you're looking for a strat sound from a humbucker guitar, if you can split your humbuckers on your guitar you're likely to get a closer match.
This. The closer you get to the same type of pickup—and the same pickup placement—the better your results will be.

Can we do an acoustic? - say my Martin D28 w B-Band dual system or my 79' Taylor 555 12 string modded with Taylor expression system???
You're better off tone-matching to a recording of a miked guitar. Built-in pickups never sound as good as the real thing, and they're not the best thing to tone-match to.

Trying to resurrect this idea. Would love to get a Rickenbacker in addition to my request for a Duesenberg or Danelectro. Is there no one that wants to see how we can push the tone match?

I would personally like Cliff to endorse this idea and let us export our reference tone as a cab block, so we can circumvent having to record dry wavs. I still a little confused about the whole process. Surely adding my dry tone to another dry tone makes a bastardised version of neither?

Reactions: JT2
I'm very new to the whole tone-matching realm but I don't think it involves adding one dry tone to another. Rather it's taking your dry guitar signal (a non-flat eq source) and comparing it to the reference signal (another non-flat eq source) and deciding how to modify your dry guitar tone so it sounds like the reference signal.

I think a cab IR is a different animal altogether where the "dry" tone you're matching is actually considered to be a flat eq and the cab IR just colors that flat eq to match what a cab really does. (but I'm probably showing my Axe-Fx internals ignorance)

Thanks, Singtall. Lovely work you've done gathering all this. May your return be swift.

I got a Duesenberg an can probably contribute. However, my experiences with tonematching pickups were pretty disappointing. I never managed to make it sound good.

Hey

I was wonder is there possibility to use that pickup and guitar tone match method for ,capture users tone matching block raw guitar signal and use those front of amp? And I mean lets say you have some tone matching preset ,and that dude have done that tone match for her guitar. And you have different wood and pickups ,your guitar will not sound exactly same like that dude guitar sounds. But if you can somehow copy that dudes local guitar signal for that tone matching preset ,and use that front of amp. Will that works in that way ,you have then virtual versio for that dudes guitar and pickups?

Last edited:
Hey

I was wonder is there possibility to use that pickup and guitar tone match method for ,capture users tone matching block raw guitar signal and use those front of amp? And I mean lets say you have some tone matching preset ,and that dude have done that tone match for her guitar. And you have different wood and pickups ,your guitar will not sound exactly same like that dude guitar sounds. But if you can somehow copy that dudes local guitar signal for that tone matching preset ,and use that front of amp.
Yes, it's possible. How well it works will depend on how closely you cy the setup of the guitar you're trying to match. For example, you can't make a humbucker sound like a single coil, and you can't make a neck pickup sound like a bridge pickup.

Hey

That's sounds amazing ,if that will work like you was say. Can you tell me how I can clone that raw guitar signal for ,users tone matching block. And how I must save that ,and how I must add that in the Axes signal chain? Im not 100% sure how that ,pickup guitar clone method will work. And yeah I notice that single coil thing ,im looking for right now only one preset what have done whit humbucker like I have in my guitar too. And another question will that process mess things out for some or all tone matching blocks ,because I have lost of tone matching presets whit my axe and I don't want loose those?

Yes, it's possible. How well it works will depend on how closely you cy the setup of the guitar you're trying to match. For example, you can't make a humbucker sound like a single coil, and you can't make a neck pickup sound like a bridge pickup.

Last edited:
Can you tell me how I can clone that raw guitar signal for ,users tone matching block. And how I must save that ,and how I must add that in the Axes signal chain?
That's what this thread is all about. The first step is to learn how to do tone matching. Have you read the Tone Match Mini Manual?

And another question will that process mess things out for some or all tone matching blocks ,because I have lost of tone matching presets whit my axe and I don't want loose those?
If you don't want to lose something, you must back it up. :)

Hey

Yeah I have done tone matching a a lot ,I thing I have only 60 presets in my Axe whitout tone matching presets. Hey do that loose mean ,it will erase some tone matches then?

That's what this thread is all about. The first step is to learn how to do tone matching. Have you read the Tone Match Mini Manual?

If you don't want to lose something, you must back it up. :)

Any preset you create will overwrite an existing preset, whether you're using tone match or not.

Back
Top Bottom