no complaining...just a question about "saturation"

hmm, that's really nice but it's not high gain, so it's kinda hard to compare.
i think the "as we all found out GOOD fizz ;)" is not the actual problem here.

it feels more like some if the cab IR's are either clipping or having a strange
distortion on them. this again seems unlogical as it's not üpissible to "IR-capture" distortion IIRC...

I didn't have time to read the entire thread so I apologize if this has already been resolved. But the thing that struck me as odd in this setup is having Dynamic Presense cranked to 5. Is that intentional? And does it not help the problem to bring that back down to 0? Just some thoughts.

here's the settings (Schecter Hellraiser C-1 with EMG81)

FW10_settings_01.bmp

everything else at default settings

FW10_settings_02.bmp

from my year long experience with the axe this should sound very defined and heavy without being too bright.

here's what it actually sounds like:

FW10 issue

there's definitively something wrong. i hope you can hear what i am talking about,
it's like some extra fuzz like saturation/distortion is added. it's especially present in the triplets...

i corrected that already, it's only on the screenshot. the actual recording had the parameter at 1.4 IIRC :)

It could be that it's just extra fizz that's supposed to be there with the more amp like quality. I mean that it's a part of being 100% real amo sounding.
This. ^^^

That "fizz" is what happens when you hit a "real" tube amp with a hot signal. With a "real" amp, we hear it when it's turned up loud, so we accept that fizz as "part of the loud." With the Axe, it also happens at lower-than-gig levels, which we're not used to hearing.

And yes, it's "good fizz." It helps carry your tone in a mix. Play that same tone at volume in a band setting, and it won't sound fizzy.

guess i have to live with the fact that it's GOOD, wheter i like it or not :D

i updated from 8 to 10, it's not a FW thing i think, i just can't get the sound i am looking for.

this here is very similar to what i am looking for, not 100% but it's close...

DiMarzio Dominion Mark Morton signature pickups test - YouTube

it's clear and has enough gain. it's present but does not hurt the ears...there is no fizz and no strange saturation.

i messed up with the room parameter in the cab block.
now i can get similar tones by adding rooom in the cab section, it really gives life to the tone but it also cloudens up the tone.
pulling back the room clears up the tone but then again it feels a bit sterile.

this here is very similar to what i am looking for, not 100% but it's close...

DiMarzio Dominion Mark Morton signature pickups test - YouTube

it's clear and has enough gain. it's present but does not hurt the ears...there is no fizz and no strange saturation.
Sorry, my brother, but that tone has fizz. Not quite as much as the file you posted earlier, but the fizz is there.

It's more obvious during the solo passage in the beginning. When the band kicks in, you no longer hear it as fizz; you hear it as cutting-through-the-mix. In other words, it sounds like clarity.

It's really tough to find a single IR that works on its own, I usually resort to mixing cabs. Though it is hard to find the correct balance for me, I find luck sometimes if I dial back a darker sounding ambience IR and push a brighter defined IR up in volume (like German 4x12 /57 -12db and Kalthallen #4 -3db). I agree that the new cabs are a little tubby or unbalanced for my rhythm sound too, but I've found some luck using the MIX cabs as more of 'blending IR's' if that helps. I'd try blending the Cali80Mix at like 80% of the volume of the Cali 4x12. High pass 70 low pass 10,200? Chunk away at the mid range with surgical PEQ if you gotta

Also I've seen that going to the advanced menu to dail out the triode hardness evens out the low-mid range a bit, a bit more like v9 but to your taste. Turning mimic off cleans things up quite a bit too.

If anyone knows any balanced IR blends that sound good for this tonality share them!

Last edited:
Sorry, my brother, but that tone has fizz. Not quite as much as the file you posted earlier, but the fizz is there.

It's more obvious during the solo passage in the beginning. When the band kicks in, you no longer hear it as fizz; you hear it as cutting-through-the-mix. In other words, it sounds like clarity.

ok :D

Good fizz.

:)

It's really tough to find a single IR that works on its own, I usually resort to mixing cabs. Though it is hard to find the correct balance for me, I find luck sometimes if I dial back a darker sounding ambience IR and push a brighter defined IR up in volume (like German 4x12 /57 -12db and Kalthallen #4 -3db). I agree that the new cabs are a little tubby or unbalanced for my rhythm sound too, but I've found some luck using the MIX cabs as more of 'blending IR's' if that helps. I'd try blending the Cali80Mix at like 80% of the volume of the Cali 4x12. High pass 70 low pass 10,200? Chunk away at the mid range with surgical PEQ if you gotta

Also I've seen that going to the advanced menu to dail out the triode hardness evens out the low-mid range a bit, a bit more like v9 but to your taste. Turning mimic off cleans things up quite a bit too.

If anyone knows any balanced IR blends that sound good for this tonality share them!

i can absolutely confirm everything you described about the IR's.
sure you can tweak here and there but weren't these supposed to be good without having to tweak, maybe i got this wrong though :D

when i mix cabs it's max 2 as this is possible directly within the axe.
i have two IR's i use almost on every patch i create. recently i bought the new ownhammer mesa IR's.
they are pretty good but need a bit tweaking also. i got really nice results mixing close micd IR's and about 20% of the room IR's.
this enhances the sound drastically. the room parameter in the cab block seems t work also.

here's the two IR's i mentioed above. they sound great on their own but also work very well mixed. give it a try! :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2576909/my 2 favorite IR's.rar

cheers
S.

Back
Top Bottom