Newbie FM9 set-up questions....

The Cleaner

Hi guys,

I´m a recent convert to the FM9 coming previously from Kemper (and traditional amp based set-ups) which I never bonded with because of the workflow and interface.

My new FM9 set-up will be based on a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 100 Stereo that will drive two Bogner 2x12s (yes I know it's not FRFR but I compared this with the new Fender FRFR and actually prefer the sound of my old cabinets...). I want to connect 3-4 external pedals (primarily drive pedals) on the board as well. Yes, I know that the FM9 can probably replicate these but I like having different gain stages that I can just stack and easily access.

I will also be using three expression pedals for Volume, EFX level and wah. I'll be using a Mission Engineering SP1 for wah and two Fractal expression pedals for the volume and EXF level.

My quick questions ( and apologies if this has been mentioned a million times before):

1. How to connect my external pedals? Do you place them in the loop of the FM9 or in front of the amp (i.e. drive pedals)? How many loops can you actually use for external pedals?

2. How to connect the three expression pedals? Do you use an interface or anything?

3. I want to connect an external tuner - how do you connect this in the best way ?

4. Lastly but not least, I want to build a (buffered) board interface that connects all the cables for easy take-down and set-up and also has global mute function (for tuning etc.). The interface should integrate the speaker outs to the guitar cabs, the line out for FOH etc.

Sorry if these questions have been asked before, I tried using the search function but couldn't find the exact answers to this.

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I´m a recent convert to the FM9 coming previously from Kemper (and traditional amp based set-ups) which I never bonded with because of the workflow and interface.

My new FM9 set-up will be based on a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 100 Stereo that will drive two Bogner 2x12s (yes I know it's not FRFR but I compared this with the new Fender FRFR and actually prefer the sound of my old cabinets...). I want to connect 3-4 external pedals (primarily drive pedals) on the board as well. Yes, I know that the FM9 can probably replicate these but I like having different gain stages that I can just stack and easily access.

I will also be using three expression pedals for Volume, EFX level and wah. I'll be using a Mission Engineering SP1 for wah and two Fractal expression pedals for the volume and EXF level.

My quick questions ( and apologies if this has been mentioned a million times before):

1. How to connect my external pedals? Do you place them in the loop of the FM9 or in front of the amp (i.e. drive pedals)? How many loops can you actually use for external pedals?

2. How to connect the three expression pedals? Do you use an interface or anything?

3. I want to connect an external tuner - how do you connect this in the best way ?

4. Lastly but not least, I want to build a (buffered) board interface that connects all the cables for easy take-down and set-up and also has global mute function (for tuning etc.). The interface should integrate the speaker outs to the guitar cabs, the line out for FOH etc.

Sorry if these questions have been asked before, I tried using the search function but couldn't find the exact answers to this.

Thanks!
Welcome to Fractal!

The Fractal manuals are excellently written. The FM9 manual can be downloaded here:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/fm9-downloads/

The Fractal Wiki is also a great resource. You can view the Wiki here:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:FM9

Fractal documentation typically has information needed for most questions. Though asking on the forum is certainly an option, especially with helpful, knowledgeable folks like Chris around.

I hope you have a Great Sunday & Happy St Patrick day Bob 🍀

Hi guys,

Thanks!
Tt4Ya6a

Sorry, I wasn't completely clear in my question re. expression pedals. My question was how to connect three different ones, (Vol, Wah and EFX) and whether you need an interface for that?

Sorry, I wasn't completely clear in my question re. expression pedals. My question was how to connect three different ones, (Vol, Wah and EFX) and whether you need an interface for that?
No, no interface needed. The FM9 has 3 PDL jacks which connect via TRS cable. Consider utilizing straight/angled 2' to 3' TRS cable, or shorter if perhaps you might upgrade to an FX board which allows for a ¼" TRS pass-thru module connector.

Setting up and calibrating an expression pedal is the difficult part. Selecting a wah, volume, or a 3rd type of block occurs within your block selection process.

The best way to use an expression pedal is with a modifier on the 'Control' parameter. Below are an example of how to set up a Cry Babe Wah with a vocal formant with the same control parameter settings.

Similar settings can be used with the control modifier for volume and just about any FX which can add a modifier. Observe where small circular dots are in relation to the parameters. Any parameter with a circular dot can add a modifier.

You'll need additional assistance setting up FX control parameters. The above example will help you get acquainted with modifiers and parameters.

Section 4 in the manual is your friend.

Whether you want them before the FM9 or on a loop on Out 3 -> In 3 is determined by whether you want Scenes/Presets to control that loop. By using the loop you can toggle the In 3 Bypass for whatever reason to turn it on/off. Having them in front of the FM9 means you'll have to do it an alternate way, usually by tap-dancing. Section 4 goes into all that.

I would use them in a loop, and, if they're MIDI-capable, they can even be controlled by the FM9 individually.

In front of the FM9. But don't ignore the built-in tuner, it's very accurate, more so than many other tuners.

That is a different question that should be asked in the "Rigs and Routing" sub-forum.

Back
Top Bottom