New Presets for V9 on Support Page

That's got to have been a hell of a lot of work, but I think I speak for everyone when I say that it's definitely appreciated. Been stuck on the Wrecker patch for a long while... Never really bonded with it before, but this new version is just awesome. As is the Super Reverb.

Gotta ask though why does it get dirty so quickly? All the Supers I've played stayed clean until you hit at least 5. This one starts getting dirty at 2 with the master dropped to 4 or so. I noticed that with the Maz as well. I used to run mine with the master and gain at half and it was still quite clean, the one on the axe is really crunchy at those settings. Don't get me wrong, they sound awesome -- actually the Maz sounds better than mine ever did -- but it seems like some of the clean amps were given a dose of steroids before making their way onto the axe.
I noticed this about the Super as well.
Edit: Disregard; answer is several posts above. Peace out.

Last edited:
Been stuck on the Wrecker patch for a long while... Never really bonded with it before, but this new version is just awesome. As is the Super Reverb.

Maz sounds better than mine ever did

Can you share any of these three patches? I've been meaning to re-discover Trainwreck and discover the Super Reverb. I never played through one so I don't know what settings sound best, other than the "black 2x12" cab.

I was wondering if someone (Cliff?) could post that, approx. what dB level the presets were final-tweaked on.

Thanks

I went through all the "raw amp" presets and retweaked them. I've found that the new firmware really brings out the character of the cabs now. Cabs that I rarely used in the past really sound good with certain amps.

Cliff, could you give us a list of, say, 10 amp-cab combinations (using stock IR's) that you have recently "re-discovered," because of FW9.01?

I've read Yek's AF2 Wiki, but I'd like your opinion on a few cabinets that go well with what amps (other than the extremely obvious, like AC30 goes with Alnico blues), maybe a categorical list (i.e. German Hi-gain-types go well with ???; 4x12 T75's make ??? sound amazing)

Cliff, could you give us a list of, say, 10 amp-cab combinations (using stock IR's) that you have recently "re-discovered," because of FW9.01?

I've read Yek's AF2 Wiki, but I'd like your opinion on a few cabinets that go well with what amps (other than the extremely obvious, like AC30 goes with Alnico blues), maybe a categorical list (i.e. German Hi-gain-types go well with ???; 4x12 T75's make ??? sound amazing)

I'd have to think that's what you've got with these new banks. Sounds to me like he may have switched some of the cabs in the updated versions of older presets. I haven't downloaded the banks yet, so I can't say for sure. But I'm getting the impression that there's some new Cliff Chase recipes in there. Open up the cab block and see what he's using now versus what he used previously. Any changes?

I dunno. I just use my ears. I try out different cabs and mics until I get something that goes well with the amp. Just like I would with a real amp. Then I go back and tweak the amp as necessary.

in all fairness.. this is impossible to answer...

it's not only 'amp and 'cab', it's also about your EQ choices..
and the nature of your tone..
super clean...
crunchy and blue..
classic rockin'
hi-gain shredder
drop tune filth..
etc

you could easily use the same amp for two different tone types and therefore want two different cabs
imagine the 5153 Blue..
you can set that with moderate drive settings and a highish MV, then throw it through a 1960a..
you'll cut through the mix and riff away like a good un
now use the same amp, fire up the sat, bright and boost, back off the MV and push the drive a bit harder..
throw that through a 4x12 25W and you should get silky smooth lead tones..

and then after all that.. there's your personal taste..
you may well think my choices suck.. and that's totally fine...

think of your tone first..
find the amps you think will best deliver what you're thinking off..
then your cab choice will sculpt the tone by pushing some tonal characteristics whilst suppressing others....
your final EQ choices will finish the job..

experimentation is king...

I already know what I like- I just wanted to hear what Cliff, the designer, thought about it (for the same reason I wanted to know how Fremen structured his dly/rev in presets or Mark Day or Scott build their presets), but I guess the logical answer is to look at the new preset banks. [*Blonde moment*]

Thanks, Jiffzilla.

Ok so I managed to get Bank A stored into the Bank B position. These presets are amazing!!! I sort of feel like I am cheating, since a few of them are likely to be my goto presets with absolutely no tweaking whatsoever. Thanks Cliff!

@zaphoid

The file named axefx2_9p01.zip contains apart from some documents just the firmware. The firmware does not include presets. So the preset files respectively bank files have to be loaded separately.

Last edited:
I updated my axe fx with the original "V9_All_Banks.syx" file. I was looking to start fresh with v9 anyway, so this saved some work. Especially with no axe-edit. I see they've removed that file from the download page, but this was nice to have! All in one shot, or separate banks would be nice going forward. That way we can choose the easiest update. Actually, it looks like that file is still available on the server:
http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware+presets/axe-fx-2/9.0/V9_All_Banks.syx

That said, I can't believe how great these patches sound. Amazing job as always FAS!

How?
The presets bank file are pretty much useless without Axe-Manage as I do not want to overwrite my own presets.

I used axe-manage. I navigated to the individual bank on my HD( in this case V9_BankA.sys). Double clicked and it showed in the preset panel. I selected all and hit copy. I then clicked on the bank in the axe-fx section of axe-manage where I wanted to copy them to( which in this case was Bank B since I did not want to over-write bank A). I mouseclicked on the first preset in the list of Bank B, then hit paste. All of the presets now appeared in red ( indicating they had changed) and they were all the BankA presets. I think I then rightclicked in the window and hit the send to axe-fx option. Sending only the changed presets. I am at work, so that is how I remembered it without having axe-manage in front of me. Good luck. And if something gets screwed up, don't blame me :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom